March NPD: Killzone 2 sales put into perspective

Friday, 17th April 2009 07:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

killzone2a1

Killzone 2′s sales figures were one of the shock stories of last night’s NPD release, the game being outsold in the US last month by the likes of Halo Wars and MLB ‘09: The Show.

That’s probably not so good if you’re Sony. Want some context? Here’s how it compares to other 360 and PS3 titles in terms of speed sold at various levels of install base, thanks to Psychotext posting over on the EG forum.

360 Sales

• Gears 1 – 1.00m in 3 weeks to ~3.4m 360s
  • Bioshock – 0.49m in 10 days (0.64m over 40 days) to ~6.1m 360s.
  • COD4 – 1.57m in 4 weeks to ~7.8m 360s.

PS3 Sales

• COD4 – 0.44m in 4 weeks to ~2.4m PS3s.
  • GTAIV – 1.0m in 5 days to ~4.2m PS3s.
  • MGS4 – 0.74m in 3 weeks to ~4.8m PS3s.
  • CODW@W – 0.60m in 2 weeks to ~6.1m PS3s
  • Killzone 2 – 0.62m in 5 weeks to ~7.2m PS3s

The game was announced last night as having sold more than 1 million units worldwide. For a game that was supposedly pre-ordered 1.1 million times in Europe. Should we call Poirot?

1. Tonka

GTA:CTW Did 88,704 according to some guy on EG
    Or did you already report that?

2. Patrick Garratt

I trust his numbers.

3. Patrick Garratt

Sorry, misinterpreted that. Nope, I haven’t. I’ll look now.

4. Shatner

Wait, Europe and the US are the same places now?

/checks map

5. Patrick Garratt

How can it have been pre-ordered 1.1 million times in Europe and have sold 1 million copies worldwide?

*smells rats*

6. Blerk

It certainly doesn’t seem to have been the runaway success that everyone thought it would be, even among people who already own PS3s. I wonder how many copies they have to sell to make their money back?

7. G1GAHURTZ

Seriously, I’m beginning to think that PS3 owners just don’t like games or something!

This is a game that people have been waiting for since 2005, it’s considered the best looking game of this gen by most, its multiplayer is supposed to be the bees knees, it reviewed very well and Sony marketed the pants off of it!

Why are the sales so relatively ‘average’!?

It’s not because PS3 owners don’t like FPS’s, because the CoD games both appear to have better ratios. So why??

I’m seriously wondering what’s going on here, because so-called first party killer apps haven’t sold anywhere near as well as they should have, when you take 360 game sales into consideration.

MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2, et al have all sold well, but in comparison to the likes of Halo 3, GTAIV and even Gears 1 and 2, their sales have been underwhelming.

Gears 1 sold nearly TWICE as many copies as Killzone 2, on less than HALF the install base, in less than HALf the time!

How!?!?

8. Blerk

Perhaps everyone remembers the first Killzone.

9. Shatner

Maybe PS3 owners like to do more than sit around trying to shoot people in the face?

Maybe!?!?

/flys dragon into mountain

Blerk, the first Killzone was a lot better than all those people that never played it says it was. Hardware limited it, but it had some great design and ideas.

10. OrphanageExplosion

Well the CoD numbers suggest they do like shooting people in the face. Definitely!?!?

11. deftangel

I think the demo might have done something for it because I hated the demo but loved what I saw in Leipzig. I was also pleasantly surprised by the multiplayer so they might have got more mileage out of focusing on that.

Conversely, Halo Wars had a great demo which garnered a lot of good buzz.

12. Shatner

Orphanage, I said “more than”, I didn’t say “didn’t like to”.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I bought Halo Wars based on the demo.

I probably wouldn’t have touched it otherwise…

14. Psychotext

8O

Didn’t expect to see this when I saw the headline.

15. Patrick Garratt

All those spreadsheets are paying off, clearly ;)

16. Psychotext

/strokes precious spreadsheets

17. Mike

I’m watching you, psychotext. Very…..carefully…

18. Blerk

Stalker alert!

19. Psychotext

I’ve got another one:

Army of Two (360) – Mar 08 – 606k (33 days of sales)
    Killzone 2 (PS3) – Feb / Mar 09 – 619k (37 days of sales)

That’s selling to ~9.6m 360s and ~7.2m PS3s respectively.

20. Blerk

Ouch. That one particularly hurts!

21. G1GAHURTZ

Oh dear.

22. No_PUDding

I expect it’s becuase the NPD related to US only. Right? I don’t think it’s 1 million worlwide.

1 million in US makes much more sense, given that it’s Sony’s numbers, and the NPD is just short of 1 million.

The 1.1 million preorders were for EU alone.

Does everyone get what I am saying here?

23. No_PUDding

And for the US numbers, which still put it in perspective, it’s gotta be a marketing problem… Who knows!

24. Psychotext

It’s 1m worldwide pud. It was pretty clear in the Sony PR.

It’s looking like that 1.1m number was the pre-ordered by retailers number, not the pre-ordered by customers number.

25. Sigd

Why hasn’t it sold. Well, I have Army of Two, Resistance and Vegas 2, and personally I haven’t bought Killzone 2 for two reasons.

No splitscreen COOP for singleplayer campaign or maps with bots, and a short single player game.

If I want intense antisocial online gaming I go to my PC.

In my living room, it’s a social area to chill, so I want splitscreen for my friends to join, and the ability to pause the game while I get a beer etc.

Without that I’ll wait a year, pick it up for £10, play it in a weekend and resell it.

Just my thoughts, and I see a lot of people asking for splitscreen.

26. No_PUDding

Yeah, looking back it probabaly is pretty accurate. It’s only 600k in America in total. 400k in Europe doesn’t seem too far wrong.

Well, better luck next time Sony.

27. dirigiblebill

“maps with bots”

Might want to check your facts there bud. KZ2 has some of the best bot support I’ve seen.

28. Sigd

Not splitscreen coop they don’t.

29. dirigiblebill

So you meant “no splitscreen coop for multiplayer maps with bots”, then? Fair enough.

30. Retroid

So; is this causing meltdown anywhere, then?

Also: I bought this but haven’t completely even the single player yet. It’s pretty but a bit soulless.

31. Seraphemz

@retroid… sounds like my wife.

32. Retroid

Does she have co-op? :D

33. Cort

It’s sold more than 1m, not exactly, so stop coming up with figures which equal 1m.

And G1GA, that’s a very interesting statement. Surely the “fanboys” bought it and you should blame the non-fanboys for not doing so. Or are you saying that *every* PS3 owner is a fanboy? It sure looks like the latter:

“Sony fanboys talk a good game, but they don’t seem to be supporting the PS3 by buying its software.”

34. Shatner

Cort, don’t try to reason with G1GA, he’s 98% pure bullshit. It’s better practice to feed his ego into spewing increasingly unhinged and ridiculous statements so that any objective onlooker can see his true colours quite clearly. Works a treat!

My personal favourite posts of his are the ones where he talks as though he expects people to believe his views and insights are both credible and informed. This usually comes after childish outbursts, trolling and concentrated fanboy braying.

Oh – ask him about that “guaranteed” PS3 price cut from a few weeks back. Maybe he’ll answer you. He (and Mike) seemed extremely keen to change the subject when it got raised.

Maybe their precious internet kudos was in danger of getting bruised. Can’t have that can we? :D

35. G1GAHURTZ

It’s a valid point.

I have no idea how many there are, but I was probably just imagining that there were millions (at least 2 or 3) of PS3 fanboys in the US, and only 619,000 sales of Killzone 2.

However, it could very well be that there are fewer than 619,000 fanboys there, and that each one has bought the game.

36. Mike

Me? Did I say something about a price cut? I’m sure I didn’t put my head on the chopping block about it.

I’m pretty sure there’s one coming, just not until Q4.

37. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t try and reason with idiots, Mike.

38. Mike

I’m not. I just don’t remember sticking my neck out about an imminent price cut. If I did, then I did, I just don’t remember.

39. Seraphemz

“but I was probably just imagining that there were millions (at least 2 or 3) of PS3 fanboys in the US”

Have you talked to these 2 or 3 million? Or have you just trolled N4G forums and saw about 20 people posting that you would consider “fanboys”

Because Cort actually makes a great point.. its the casual PS3 people that didnt support the game, ‘Fanboys’ did.

Oh and Killzone is off the market. They dont sell it anymore. So 619k is the final number…that is it.. just like Michael ( Jackson ) said.. this it it.. final.. this …is…it..

40. Jacee

ID be inclined to suggest that a reasonable proportion of the early adopters of the PS3 bought it solely as a BlueRay player and have no interest in games period good or bad.The interesting thing will be now that the price of a standalone BlueRay player has dropped and Sony is doing a price drop on PS3 will the games sold and attachment numbers go up or will PS3 turn out in the end to be a BlueRay player that just happens to play games as opposed to a game console that just happens to play BlueRay movies?

41. G1GAHURTZ

You know what Jacee, I think you might have hit the nail on the head.

Of course, I’ve been assuming that the vast majority of PS3 owners are actually gamers, but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

Initially, Sony put a whole lot of effort into marketing the PS3 as an entertainment hub and really pushed Blu-Ray much more than they were trying to market it as a games machine.

Their change of strategy to now sell it as primarily a games machine is only recent, so it’s very likely that many, if not most PS3 owners are the type who bought it for Blu-Ray and are much less interested in the gaming side.

It would certainly explain the less than impressive game sales to install base ratios for key titles such as this.

42. Shatner

So that guranteed price cut G1GA. You know, the thing that prevented you from taking the PS3 plunge a few weeks back (after the other thing that prevented you. Oh, and the other one. And then there was some other excuse wasn’t there?). Yeah – so what about that then? Hello? What’s that? You’d rather forget those ‘facts’ you based your arguments on when they turn out to not to be so factual? Oh? And you’ll just drift past any reference of them so that your expertise on all things Sony could never be called into question? Yeah. How’s that working out for you?

You’re still oblivious to your own shortcomings I see. What a shame you parade them so clearly for the rest of us to have to endure.

For someone so committed to his precious 360, he spends an awful lot of time researching Sony’s movements…

…or perhaps he just makes stuff up that suits his point of view! I recall how you like your guesswork to be regarded as facts and just how upset you get if they’re not. Heh. You have quite an image to maintain. Must be hard work!

And Mike, you buzzed over to G1GA’s rescue like a fly on shit. Actions speak louder than words! :D

43. Mike

Yeah, you remember that. ;)

44. Shatner

I thought that metaphor was particularly apt. I guess I should be thanking you!

45. KingCharMing

This is gettin’ exciting!
    *Grabs bowl of popcorn*

46. G1GAHURTZ

lol. Yeah, I’ll have some nachos with jalepenos and hot cheese sauce!

It’s funny watching antagonists fail as they grow increasingly desperate in their attempts to antagonise.

47. Shatner

Yeah!

Hey! That reminds me of an antatagonistic thread you started over at the forum G1GA! Remember it?

Silly me – of course you remember it. But you’ll just gloss over another one of your failures and examples of hypocrisy just like you always try to!

I suppose you are quite the expert on failed attempts at antagonism aren’t you?

48. Psychotext

You guys should just bone and be done with it.

49. dirigiblebill

Seconded. Get a room.

50. Cort

Funnier watching one big pot calling a few kettles black.