God of War III CE survey hints at PS2 games on the disc

Thursday, 16th April 2009 07:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

godofwariiia6

Sony’s put up a God of War III collector’s edition survey, including a question about including the previous two games on the PS3 title’s Blu-ray.

The inclusion of the PS2 titles would probably stamp another “must-own” logo on the game’s box, to go along with the other 20, so hit the link and tell Sony how great it’d be if they were there.

You need to be logged into you PSN account to take part. Finish it and you get an HD wallpaper.

1. The_Deleted

GOD OF WAR TRILOGY FOR THE WIN!! I think I’ll be camping outside my local gamestore in full Karos get up if this happens. Just out of respect for the developers awesomeness!!!

2. Blerk

I take it they mean ports of the titles rather than the actual games? Given that most PS3s won’t play PS2 games.

3. Gekidami

On the same disc to yeah, pretty much ports. Though i’d prefer they used up all the space for GoWIII…

4. Lutz

Gekidami: That’s a stupid comment. Think more.

So, GoW 1, 2 and 3… I’d probably buy that even though I don’t own a PS3, ready for when I can get one.

5. Patrick Garratt

They’d have to be ports, I guess. I’d be very, very up for this. Play the lot from beginning to end, innit.

6. Lutz

Although it does make you think what engine they’ll use… I mean, will it be the original GoW games ported to PS3 with some sort of emu program on the disc running it, or will they be re-making them from scratch in the GoW3 engine?

And if not the latter, then how long until we get old classics in new engines? For example, how much effort would it actually take for Bungie to remake Halo 1 in the Halo 3 engine? A good percentage of the work is done; game levels are designed, engine is made, there’d logically be a lot less bugs in the game… and with IPs like Halo and God of War, who the hell wouldn’t buy the remakes? (Assuming you liked the originals of course)

7. JonFE

If this trilogy does materialize and is playable (ports or otherwise) on non backwards compatible PS3′s like mine, count me in as well…

8. Patrick Garratt

Will they output at 1080p60? That’s the key.

9. The_Deleted

@Garret
    It really isn’t…

10. Patrick Garratt

Was joking :)

11. The_Deleted

…God Of Pwnage.

12. Blerk

I can’t imagine they’d be complete remakes to be honest. They’d have to redo pretty much all of the graphics for a start.

13. Gekidami

They’ll be ports, expecting them to be fully redone is rediculous, even if the dev team know what the levels already look like and happen to have an engine on hand, thats not how games are made… Unless you’re Valve… :D

14. Lutz

Blerk: They’d not have to do much on Kratos for a start, and I’m sure a lot of the assets drawn for GoW3 could be re-used. Sure, they’d be redrawing a lot, bosses etc, but still…

15. NiceFellow

It could be the old assets in the new engine depending upon its design. Remember how Valve re-used all Half Life assets in Source engine very successfully?

Unless this hints at PS2 emulation and assuming its even true then its got to be either a port of the old games or the assets from the old games coupled with newer assets plugged into the new engine.

16. Lutz

And beyond graphics, what else would they need to redo? Sounds are done, story is done, level design is done, engine is done.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see them doing this to chuck it away in a CE for GoW 3, they’ll be ports, but I still think it’d be worth games companies looking into for older games.

Halo 1 redone in the Halo 3 engine… Major profit, gotta be.

It’s not without precedent either.

17. Blerk

It’s not without precedent (look at Chronicles of Riddick) but it’s certainly not a simple task. To be frank, I’d much rather they put the maximum amount of effort into the new game and left the old ones alone – it’s not like they stopped being great games just because the PS3 arrived.

18. Psychotext

I can’t see it happening… but I’d like it to.

They’d stand to make far more money releasing them separately.

19. freedoms_stain

“rediculous”

Not a word. Ridiculous is though Mr Gekidami.

Anyhoo, even though I own the originals I welcome this with open arms and a massive grin.

20. Gekidami

21. El_MUERkO

/penis twitch

22. DrDamn

Remake Halo 1 in the Halo 3 engine? Would it make any difference? ;) /boomtish

23. ricky

dont think too much guys…
    that emulation shit ur talking about… its all crap..
    ill tell u why..
    these guys at SCEE arent that stupid to not to know that PS2 games wont work without the emulation ‘thingie’.They probably brought this up bcuz they must be having a way to convert the damn format like they (maybe) did for some PS1 or some PSP games that are playable on ANY damn playstation 3..
    well.. i may go wrong somewhere.. though im not sure abt this.. i maybe right abt this too..XD

24. Seraphemz

Im so glad that i got the 80 gig that plays ps2 games and has the card readers.. i dont have to worry about playing ps2 games. If they are included.. sweet.. if not.. i can always rent them. Thats what I did with Shadow of the Colossus

25. ricky

=)
    wish i had the same… i have a shitty (not really) 40GB gig
    ;P

26. Gekidami

I wonder how much fact is behind this list, i mean lets face it; I’m sure the original games on the same disc will get alot of votes, but for all we know it could just be something SCEA stuck on the list without any real founding behind it, honnestly i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt happen.