Koller: PS3-Facebook integration coming “sooner than you might think”

Thursday, 9th April 2009 07:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

facebooklogoa

SCEA hardware marketing boss John Koller has told the MI6 conference in San Francisco that PS3 Facebook integration is in the works.

From this Joystiq report:

During a panel titled “Casual to the Core: Redefining the Gaming Dynamic,” SCEA’s John Koller talked about social media and how it can affect the games space. When asked by panel moderator John Davison if there would ever be a point when someone could be playing PS3 and have it “spit out something to Facebook,” Koller stated that plans are already afoot. He said that such functionality is “critical not just for marketing but for the types of games we’re trying to develop. That day is coming quicker than some may think.”

Blimey. More through the link.

1. Tonka

GREAT! I CAN’T FUCKING WAIT! WHOOOOOOO! GET THE FUCK IN!

2. Shatner

It’s certainly sooner than I thought it was. I wasn’t thinking of it at all. Until now.

Does it run in 1080p and 60fps though?

3. Blerk

I think I must be the only person in the world who isn’t on Facebook.

4. desiredtime

I’m not on Facebook either.

5. JonFE

That makes three of us :-D

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ve got a Facebook account. I’m not sure I need it on my PS3, however.

7. Patrick Garratt

120fps, Shatner. 3D Facebook.

8. Tonka

I’m not on Facebook. But I hear people like it.

9. Blerk

I am on Arsebook, though.

10. Redh3lix

This is great news and a very clever move by Sony!

11. Retroid

Not on Facebook either.

12. Axle

Not on Failbook either.

13. Psychotext

Another non facebook user.

14. Patrick Garratt

Have you all got Twitter accounts? That reminds me…

*checks mail*

15. Blerk

I’m certainly not on Twatter. :-)

16. Mike

I’m on Facebook, but not Twitter.

17. Roybott

I’m on both but havent signed into Facebook for months.

“spit out something to Facebook,”

To me that just sounds like they are going to do ‘status’ updates posted to Facebook – Status as in presence “X is currently playing Y” or “X has just unlocked Trohpy Z” – I know there are already services available that will update you Twitter status with your Xbox Live status so I wouldn’t be suprised if there were also things already available to put PSN status in Facebook via a facebook app.

18. Robster1979

I’m on FB and have an application that links to my LIVE account. All it basically does is update my stauts ” ….. is play Left for Dead”. You can also view your gamercard and achievements on there too adn check out your friends. Not particularly exciting to be honest and when you call in sick and your boss is on FB and see’s your status….. well its not good. Never underestimate PRIVACY.

19. ElfShotTheFood

Will it take full advantage of the PS3′s power and push the system to its limits?

20. Michael O'Connor

“Will it take full advantage of the PS3’s power and push the system to its limits?”

If you want to argument semantics, this is something the 360 couldn’t do because of the deliberately isolated structure of it’s online services. Every online function of the 360 is handled through Microsoft’s own services.

So yes, it technically *is* taking advantage of the PS3′s capabilities. Just because it’s not BIGGER FASTER HARDER STRONGER doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. Personally, I think this whole Facebook integration idea is great; social networks are extremely popular, and tapping into something like that is a great way to help build a stronger online community for the PS3.

21. Psychotext

Oh…

22. Truk

Doesn’t the Live do something similar – putting status updates onto messenger?

23. Michael O'Connor

“@Michael O’Connor: Yes, massively isolated, which is why sites like mygamercard.net, 360voice and the 360 gamercard facebook pages don’t exist.”

I think you missed the point completely.

Those are sites accessing the information from Microsoft’s servers that Microsoft makes freely available – all they’re do is reading people’s gamercard information and processing it their own way.

But there’s way to do that in reverse; i.e. sending information from the 360 directly to other internet sources.

24. Psychotext

This is how facebook pages can query the Xbox Live data to find your last status.

25. DrDamn

I suspect there might be other elements to it such as uploading screen grabs and videos. There is already YouTube integration in some games.

26. Michael O'Connor

“But why would you need to send it? All the information is freely available for anyone to integrate with.”

The only information available to those people is the games listed on your gamercard and your score – it’s a very limited amount of information. Every other calculation (like the difference in points for my360voice.com ) is done by the sites themselves. Microsoft doesn’t allow any sort of direct communication to its server unless they say so; Halo 3 and MSN Messenger are the only two things I can think of that do… both Microsoft properties.

What Koller is suggesting is a system that will allow your PS3 to automatically communicate with your Facebook (and potentially other future services). How broad that will be, I don’t know, but it could include things like an update telling your friends you’re playing a new game, or game-specific stuff like trophies, unique accomplishment messages, announcing that you published a new level in LittleBigPlanet, or even external “rewards” on Facebook for doing certain things.

27. Psychotext

Also, we don’t really know what Koller is suggesting, at least not from what was said in the article.

28. Michael O'Connor

“That’s not entirely true. There’s far more data available than that (I’m trying to find the tech docs at the moment, but I can’t remember where I saw them), like your last status for instance.”

That’s a one way process. They’re simply reading the data. The Xbox Live servers themselves aren’t communicating with those sites. You’re still missing the point. There’s no way for a person on the 360 to *send* information to other outside sources – the only exceptions to this being Microsoft’s own programs.

Microsoft doesn’t *allow* it. Ask any developer, and they will tell you that everything has to be controlled internally through Microsoft’s own servers.

29. Psychotext

Or at least that’s what I thought we were talking about.

Edit – Here’s some of the things you can do: http://www.xboxlivenation.com/index.php/live-services-mainmenu-85

30. Syrok

“A game like LittleBigPlanet would really benefit from something like this, letting fans see what’s going on in game and keep each other updated on it when they’re not playing their PS3. That’s just one example.”

31. Michael O'Connor

“…but data is data. The source is irrelevant as long as you get what you need to achieve the end result, in this case status updates.”

Saying data is data is like saying pink is blue.

Data can be writeable. It can be read-only. It can be open, or it can be secure. The end result *isn’t* the same. Those sites are simply accessing a limited amount of freely available data that Microsoft uses in it’s own features.

What Koller is suggesting is a process that allows the console to communicate outside of the PS3, at the whim of the user. That includes such things as YouTube and Facebook integration. This can’t be done on the 360 because the 360 doesn’t allow its users to communicate outside of it’s own servers.

How many ways can I explain that before it sinks in?

“There was a site like that. It was called Sackbook, but it was taken down, because it was unofficial and MM are planning to build something like that themselves, if I understood that correctly in a recent Interview.”

Yeah, that’s probably exactly what this stuff Koller is talking about will do.

32. Psychotext

You’re absolutely right that there’s nothing like youtube integration on the 360. But again, we were talking about status updates on facebook… which can be and is done with the available xbox live data.

33. Shatner

34. Retroid

Incidentally, games like PGR3 & Viva Pinata (not sure if it was just the second or the first did it too) supported taking photos ingame and downloading them from a website.

35. G1GAHURTZ

Rockstar Social Club allows you to see loads of in-game stats for multiple games, online.

So does EA Sports World.

I’m really hoping that IW do it for Modern Combat 2 as well.

All games should let you check your stats online if you ask me…

36. Syrok

“Sackbook was removed due to concern over privacy, not because it conflicted with any unannounced Sony plans to do something along the same lines.”

Probably that too, but also because they are planning an official site:

5:00-5:40

37. Michael O'Connor

“So does EA Sports World.”

There’s so much legal tape surrounding the E.A. online gaming it’s not even funny. For almost a year, online gaming with the 360 and E.A. didn’t happen because E.A still wanted to use their own servers and data, and Microsoft didn’t want this.

“Can you tell me where Koller suggests this… because I’m really not seeing it in what’s written.”

Here.

“When asked by panel moderator John Davison if there would ever be a point when someone could be playing PS3 and have it “spit out something to Facebook,”

It’s communicating directly with an outside service. Sending information *to* it instead of simply reading something from it.

“PGR3 & Viva Pinata (not sure if it was just the second or the first did it too) supported taking photos ingame and downloading them from a website.”

Both Microsoft games sending data to Microsoft servers.

38. Psychotext

That’s not Koller… who only says “Plans are already afoot”. I think you’re reading far too much into it.

39. Michael O'Connor

Yes, I’m well aware of what he said.

Doesn’t change the fact that it would be allowing the machine to communicate directly to an outside source, something the 360 can’t do. And in my post, I said this advantage of the 360 is something Sony would do well to take advantage of, which they clearly are.

That’s what I said from the beginning. It was everyone else trying to argue the point.

40. Psychotext

Do you always get this worked up when you have discussions?

41. Michael O'Connor

“Do you always get this worked up when you have discussions?”

Worked up? I’m simply discussing the point.

If that’s your idea of “worked up”, I’d suggest getting some fresh air.

42. Psychotext

43. Michael O'Connor

“You’re absolutely right. You’re not replying in an impatient / frustrated manner at all and I’ve never seen you do that on this site before now either.”

It’s quite amazing how deeply you can read into emotions through text, isn’t it? <3

Or as the case may be… not.

Responding to a point does not = frustrated or impatient. Someone’s arguing a point, I’m simply pointing out the reasons why they’re wrong. There’s nothing less or more to it than that, my good sir.

But hey, if you get your kicks by sitting on the internet all day reading into things too much, you go right on ahead and enjoy yourself. I’ve never seen you do that on this site before now either.

The only one I see getting “frustrated” and “impatient” is you, for having your misinformed opinion corrected with facts, which you are desperate to defend because you don’t want to be wrong.

And if I recall, you’re a 360 only owner as well, but correct me if I’m wrong there.

44. Psychotext