Gears 2 boss: I play Killzone 2, but I don’t like Dead Space

Thursday, 2nd April 2009 12:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

killzone2art

Yes, it’s true. Rod Fergusson, executive producer of Gears of War 2, is a Killzone 2 player. We know because he told us.

“I play a lot of things,” he said, talking at GDC last week. “I play World of Warcraft. Most recently I finished 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, which was a lot of fun. I’ve been playing some Killzone, I’ve been playing some RE5.

“I got through all 55 doors of Peggle on Xbox Live… I’m kind of all over the place in terms of games.”

Fergusson’s not a big horror game fan, though.

“I struggle with horror games like Dead Space. I can’t distance myself from things I’m watching, so I don’t keep a professional distance,” he said.

“I’m the guy that cries in Bambi and jumps in thriller movies.”

So there you have it. You reckon Guerrilla’s finished Gears 2 on Insane?

1. Mike

It’ll be interesting to see if Gears 3 “borrows” any gameplay elements from Killzone. I know one’s a 3PS and the other an FPS but still, there are some good ideas in Killzone and I’m sure Fergusson can see that.

2. Bleak Harvest

I’d love to know his PSN so I can find and hound him in the Killzones =P And I’m sure there will be some theft in the future, Mike. It’s the way game development works… well, kinda.

3. Mike

Yeah I know. I was just wondering “what” he would take from the game. What would you?

4. No_PUDding

I don’t think so Mike, I think they are insanely similar as is. One thing I can tell Guerilla took from Gears, is the head blowing up. Which is actually a good thing, it’s not too distasteful, and it just makes a shotgun feel like a shotgun.

Unless you mean MP.

5. Nevellin

Soo.. what? And so what? That guy said: I play this, this, this, KZ2, this, this… and so what? This is the worst ‘news’ I ever seen. =P
    Its awesome what the game media can do to ‘atract’ people. If him had said: “I play VivA Piñata” what should be the question in the last phrase? “Do you reckon Rare’s finished Gears 2 on insane”? Ridiculous…

6. Mike

Totally.

7. G1GAHURTZ

VG24-7 just got pwnd.

8. lelik

no vg247 didn’t get pwned. gears 2 and killzone 2 are very similar games.

I WANT to know if a dev that makes one of xbox’s best shooters has at least played killzone 2. The games are on competing platforms.

You must try real hard to look like you don’t care.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Of course they do.

Part of the game development process involves assessing the competition and drawing on their most appealing aspects for inspiration.

(ahem… also known as ripping off the best bits…)

I’m sure that every developer does it.

10. Nugent

Killzone 2 and Gears are very similar games. Say what you will about Killzone 2, but it gets a lot of things right. Epic would be dumb not to play it and learn from it.

11. Stephany Nunneley

I think it’s great when other devs acknowledge they play competing games. It show broadness and lack of being close minded. Sure, they want to check out the competition, but at least Rod allows such games in the house. Unlike Bill Gates who refuses to let his wife and kids own an iPod or iPhone. Get over it I say to that.

12. TheTwelve

Agreed Stephany but that being said, I don’t want devs getting too friendly and cozy with one another. I like the competition and rivalry—I think what Bill Gates said (whether it be true or not as I think he’s only joking) is great and in the end only benefits us gamers. We’re getting the best of the best because these companies know that anything less won’t sell very well these days. I like how they are giving respect where respect is due but I still wants the Gears guys and the Killzone guys to be at each other’s throats to a certain extent.

13. Stephany Nunneley

Of course! Otherwise we would have cookie cutter games only, which happens enough as it is of late.