GDC: Gran Turismo 5′s “all platforms” release timing will depend on “what makes the most sense,” says Koller

Monday, 30th March 2009 09:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

granturismoa2

SCEA’s director of hardware marketing, John Koller, has told VG247 that Gran Turismo 5′s release timing across “all platforms” is still a matter of seeing “what makes the most sense.”

Koller was responding to questions about the game’s PS3 release date, speaking at GDC last week.

“Ultimately, they are a developer who makes a lot of their own decisions,” Koller said of Polyphony Digital.

“But we are looking at GT5 across all platforms, just to see what makes the most sense.”

Koller fobbed off specifics on launch dates for further games in the series.

“Well GT5: Prologue’s out,” he joked.

“Seriously though, there is really nothing we can really say about it, other than it’s a franchise we would like to continue.

“So, other than that, we don’t really have any announcements regarding the game at this time.”

Last December, SCEE’s John Armstrong told a Spanish television program that we could expect Gran Turismo 5 by Christmas 2009.

Announcements related to both a PSP and PS3 version of GT5 are expected at E3.

1. DrDamn

Polyphony have gone from great developer to somewhat of a joke for me. GT5P was ok but limited and suffered some tearing issues on some tracks when it got busy. They really should have got GT5 out the door by now. At this rate it will be after Forza 3 – the second iteration of that franchise on the 360.

2. G1GAHURTZ

I wonder what’s taking them so long.

3. Syrok

The damage model is taking its time. ^.^

4. Blerk

Getting rather silly now, isn’t it?

5. desiredtime

I find it weird that people complain, when developer rush a game and they complain, when they take their time with a game.

6. Shatner

People complain.

If they didn’t they’d have little to say on the internet.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Why do you find it wierd that people would complain that a game isn’t as good as it would have been if it wasn’t rushed? Or if people complain because a game is released 2 years after the developers said it was going to be?

8. Syrok

Come on this GT. It has to be delayed by at least 3 years

9. No_PUDding

I can’t believe people are moaning about a game 60fps, 1080p that’s as stunning as GT5P that has occasional tearing.

Christ, moan about the ‘demo’ aspect of it all you like, but technically it’s in a world of it’s own.

10. DrDamn

@No_PUDding
    I run it at 720p and there is still tearing. It can spoil the game experience as it is vital this sort of game maintains a consistent frame rate. I don’t care if it doesn’t end up looking so good – I want it to play well!

I also think the look of the game has been hamstrung by the 1080p tag. The majority of gamers will play at 720p and that is the resolution sweet spot for both the 360 and PS3. By trying to do 1080p they have left the game looking quite barren in places. Yes the car models look great, but the the push for 1080p is to the detriment of the majority of the players.

@desiredtime
    I’m all for a dev taking there time, just don’t announce it and don’t waste time on a variety of demos and cut down games if it so obviously is going to affect the eventual release date of the main game so badly.

11. Newbie101

What I can’t believe is how people ‘complain’ about a game being delayed when (a) most of us have played the ‘demo’ and its fantastic and (b) we all know WILL be amazing.

Then something like Alan Wake… that you can say is vapour ware but not this!

12. Gekidami

I bet licencing for every car isnt helping…

13. Psychotext

People complain because they want it… sooner rather than later if possible.

14. DrDamn

@Newbie101
    It simply should have been released by now surely? This is a big PS franchise and an important release for the platform. There is only a certain amount of “it’s ready when it’s ready” that holds before you start questioning the management of the title. Forza will be on it’s second iteration this generation – it’s a hugely accomplished series with some significant advantages over the last GT games. Why are they able to do this when Polyphony can’t even commit to a release date?

The other point I’d make is that in the time taken goal posts have moved. If the time has been used to properly address some of these – a comprehensive online system, bumper car physics and damage model to name a few – then it could be time well spent. We don’t know what they have done in this area yet though – we know it WAS amazing – they need to up their game though because times and expectations have moved on.

15. Retroid

Perhaps they could release another $40 demo to fund further development? ^___^

16. theevilaires

people complain because they have no life and are miserable. the next time one of you assholes complain about a dev team taking their time to perfect a proven franchise take a look at your multi million dollar selling game. They are going for 60fps @ 1080p with possible damage physics. Forza is no Gran Turismo.

Giga what the hell are you talking about whats taking them so long. You don’t even own a PS3. Whats taking them so long with Alan Wake? You see where i’m coming from. Sorry to put you on the spot but i know you’re not getting a PS3 just for GT5.

@ Retroid maybe M$ will make you pay for another $60 game to be invited in the next halo beta.

17. Psychotext

Forza is no Gran Turismo? That’s strange as they have a lot in common.

18. Shatner

Woah, PT trying the “I know, I’ll say something obtuse” tactic.

Good work!

19. Psychotext

I could do specifics, but I don’t want to confuse anyone.

20. G1GAHURTZ

Actually TEA, after shooters, most of my gaming is taken up by racers. I’ve even got the wireless wheel and everything!

I’d get a wheel for the PS3 if GT was worth it, too…

Call me sad if you want, but I’d spend hours on my wheel driving around in 1080p cars with fully modelled interiors, all in 60Hz.

Anyway, I was genuinely wondering why they are taking so long.

It’s a game that they’ve made before, so theoretically, it should just be a case of doing things a little bigger and a little better…

Prologue is there, so they’ve proven that they can do it, so why the long delay…?

Is it a technical problem? Bad scheduling? licencing issues? Quality issues? Or what…?

I’m genuinely interested.

21. SERAPHEMZ

Im looking forward to the PSP version !! that would be a great game to have to kill time at work…

22. lelik

if you mention forza in a gran turismo news post, you are a fanboy. it’s as simple as that. i’ll wait as long as it takes to get the best GT possible.

23. theevilaires

I agree with you giga i could spend hours in GT5 on the wheel with the new cockpit view also. As regard to the technical,scheduling,and licencing issues they could very well be a factor. Those cars are hand drawn. Adding cockpit views to all of the 500 plus cars is not an easy task. As an artist myself i understand the need to take my time and perfect my work so im satisfied with the “million times check over for flaws” inspection i do for all my art work.

This is one of Sony’s power house franchise that really needs to show what the PS3 can do beyond Killzone. Sony knows what they are doing. They know they need every aspect of this game to be flawless. GT5P was only a test for technical problems like online latency and other stuff obviously.

I know forza and gt5 are both racing games, but only one of them hold the title for the best racing sim on console ever.

24. theevilaires

I didn’t mentioned Forza first. Someone mentioned how two iterations of Forza would be out this generation before GT5. In my opinion Forza’s quality isn’t better than Gran Turismo that’s why its taking longer to release. That’s what i meant. I’m not saying Forza isn’t a great racing game.

25. SERAPHEMZ

theevil – did you ever get your 60gig PS3?

26. theevilaires

I already have a 60gb and a 20gb ps3. I went to china town to pick up the last known (to me) original 60gb ps3 in the wild. The guy wanted $1000 for it. I got him down to $900 but then said fuck it cause I know you guys weren’t going to post 1000 comments. I’ll send you a PSN card though for debating/(arguing) with O’Connor :P

27. SERAPHEMZ

LOL !!

28. Cort

“Maybe they even update the smoke effects and stop the tires from squealing in every corner no matter how slow you go.”

Add to that the zero sense of speed when you are tanking it.

29. theevilaires

Gran Turismo isn’t all about the speed. Its about the authenticity feel of the cars to their real counterparts (hench racing SIM). If you want high octane speed then buy NFS. If you want a nice driving simulation on real racing tracks from around the world then GT5 is your game.

30. Cort

But it isn’t authentic to drive at 150mph, peer out the window at the passing scenery and feel like you’re doing 15mph. It also isn’t authentic to have your tires roaring and screeching when going round a corner at 20mph in a four wheel drive car with high downforce.

31. theevilaires

yea that stuff is true cort but i really never pay attention to that personally. Maybe they notice those mistakes and are trying to make more accurate adjustments. We can only hope right. I just hope with all this time and the processing power of the PS3 they are making one hell of a racing sim that will please everyone who loves games period. To be honest i’m really looking forward to the pic capture the most like they had in GT4 and Wipeout HD :P

32. DS1086

@DrDamn
    The ONLY time tearing occurs in GT5P is at Eiger Nordwand, presumably because of the massive amounts of scenery around the track. The tearing is both rare and very brief. I would think the tearing will be entirely eradicated for the realease of the full game. There is never any tearing on any of the other tracks, no matter how busy the screen gets. Maybe if it was only running at 720p it would make 360 owners feel slightly less insecure about their console of choice. The fact is, the best looking, most realistic racing game is a PS3 exclusive. Deal with it. :P

33. Syrok

What about the stuttering in the replays?

34. theevilaires

Its a fucking glorified demo STFU Syrok and kill the topic. When the full game releases and it still has these problems then speak. I pegged you to be smart enough to see the difference Syrok. Now you’re just sounding like a spoiled brat.

35. wz

But then, based on a demo showcasing what the final product will look like, GT5 will be utter crapzorz. XBOX 360 FTW! IT’S CHEAPER TOO.

36. theevilaires

you noob

37. crackdude

All this discussion is so meaningless. I prefer the way Forza handles, so it’s a no brainer to me. Although GT5P looks better, I also prefer having a complete and functional and great game right now than waiting all this time.
    Also, I’ve lost confidence on this development team, since I bought a PSP before it even launched in my country just so that I could play GT4 on launch. And after like 4 years, my PSP has already broke and I really don’t give a shit because the only game I really wanted never came out.

38. Retroid

I keep meaning to pick up GT5P, should be about a tenner now, shouldn’t it?

As for Forza, I’ve got both (picked them up for pennies) and I’ve just not been able to get into them. They seem a bit soulless to me.

@TEA: I didn’t care about the Halo 3 beta and bought Crackdown itself about a year after the beta offer ended, so that proves how much I cared about that! :D

39. Syrok

It’s not like GT5P has much soul. :)

40. Psychotext

I’ve not bought GT5:Prologue, but I’ll certainly be buying GT5 whenever it comes out.

41. dutch46

I was disappointed with Prologue. I was turned on to a copy of F1 Championship Edition when the PS3 was first released and got spoiled, I guess.

The one thing that bothered me more than anything else about Prologue was the unrealistic physics of the cars. No matter how stiff I made the suspension, every car still handled like I was driving a limo. That and the fact that there were so few tracks–and the facilities they did feature were some of my least favorites.

When the full version is released, I’ll be hanging out at the Nurbergring. If you like to race clean, come on down