SCEA: PS3′s 2009 packs “an absolutely amazing line-up”

Monday, 23rd March 2009 07:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3a27

PlayStation 3′s year-end software isn’t “good”. It’s not even “great”. It’s “absolutely amazing,” according to Scott Rohde, SCEA’s VP of product development.

“I think we had a very good lineup in 2008, especially for the holidays, but in 2009, it’s an absolutely amazing line-up,” he told Edge.

“It’s one of the best lineups that we’ve ever put out in a single calendar year, so it’s very, very exciting.”

PS3 exclusives confirmed for this year include InFamous, MAG, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III.

And there’s more to come, obviously.

“There are several titles that are in the works that we have yet to announce,” said Rohde.

GDC will throw up info on announced 2009 PS3 exclusives this week, but you should be watching E3 in June for the main event.

1. Gekidami

Thats indeed a good lineup, though i’m expecting GoWII to be pushed back in to 2010.

2. Robo_1

They need to combine it with a price cut, or it’ll all be for naught.

I mean that’s not to make light of the line up, as it is extremely solid, but if they’re looking to shift consoles, they need to get that price down to competitive levels.

3. Mike

Some damn good-looking games in there.

4. desiredtime

I’m a little sick of hearing about their line-up for 2009. Just release them already.

5. Blerk

Their line-up this year is much more interesting. Out of the five listed above, only MAG dings the mehmometer.

6. Rhythm

Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain, although given how Fahrenheit turned out I’ll refrain from buying in to HR too early.

7. Psychotext

Heavy Rain and GoW3 interest me a lot, but like Gekidami I’m expecting GoW3 to be 2010.

8. Retroid

I don’t get the interest for Heavy Rain.

9. Blerk

Something ‘a bit different’, innit?

10. Retroid

feh.

11. Psychotext

I don’t see the interest in MAG (yay, another shooter) or Infamous (hooray, more sandbox crap)… horses for courses innit. :D

12. The Benny

God of War III and MAG are more financial 2009 than calender 2009, aren’t they? That still likely puts them within a year from now though, so it’s all good.

13. DaMan

wait, isn’t GoWIII coming out in 2010?

eh, Sonymen..

14. Patrick Garratt

They said fiscal 2009.

15. DS1086

What about GT5? Please release it this year.

16. Gekidami

Japanese title so it gets no mention from SCEA.

17. phatb0y

“There are several titles that are in the works that we have yet to announce,”

I really wish they’d stop saying stuff like this.

Anyway. God of War III and Uncharted to are a given.

Infamous could turn out to be okay, but from the videos so far it doesn’t look too hot. It might be a different kettle of fish to play, but so far so meh. Of the two imminent superhappyherosandboxfun games, Prototype looks far more interesting.

MAG will probably be a clusterfuck of biblical proportions. Same developer as LOLCOM? 256 players? Oh dear. The trouble with this sort of game is that developers have a vision. Its all mics, commander overlays, orders, squads, objectives and all the usual tactical nonsense for the school-shooter-in-training crowd. The reality is, to paraphrase Sesame Street, ’255 of these kids belong together, but one of these kids is doing his own thing…’, ie pure unadulterated carnage with any armchair Patton present searching desperately for the Ritalin airdrop button. This kind of thing doesn’t work at that scale. It barely works for 16 players.

Please. Just give us GT5 and all will be forgiven!

18. phatb0y

Uncharted 2 even. Duh.

19. Michael O'Connor

I’ll give Sony this much, they have a much stronger exclusive line-up for 2009 than Microsoft does.

Which is a welcome change from previous years. As it stands, I own more “core” games on the (supposedly casual-only) Wii right now than I do on my PS3.

When it comes to buying multi-format titles, I nearly always choose the 360 over the PS3 to buy them on, because 1) I don’t have to waste disc-space on ridiculous mandatory installations, and 2) the vastly superior controller.

Great line-up. I’m especially looking forward to Heavy Rain.