Ocarina is “best game to play today,” says Edge

Monday, 9th March 2009 13:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

zeldaa

God. Edge has posted its “100 Best Games to Play Today” feature, with Ocarina of Time at number one.

Apparently, “Over a decade after release,‭ ‬The Legend Of Zelda:‭ ‬Ocarina Of Time has achieved a distinction reserved for a true classic.‭

“It’s been forgotten.‭ ‬Writing about it garners nothing but grandiose adverbs and scattered memories of Hyrule Field.‭ ‬It’s‭ ‘‬unquestionably‭’ ‬and‭ (‬even better‭) ‘‬indefinably‭’ ‬great.”

Goodo. This is actually an abridged version of the piece from the mag’s 200th edition. Read the whole “unquestionably indefinable” thing through the link.

1. DaMan

this list is terrible.

2. Patrick Garratt

It’s a proper eye-roller.

3. Gekidami

Another games media list going more off the idea that ‘oldie = goodie’ then anything else.

4. Syrok

OoT is good though.

(Unlike the the list itself)

5. Blerk

I’ve tried to start Ocarina about five times and have never actually made it out of the village before getting bored and turning it off. :-|

6. Patrick Garratt

I’m glad I now know that Star Fox 64 is the 98th best game to play today.

7. Johnny Cullen

Halo 3 > LittleBigPlanet?

No way, just no.

Halo 3 is a great game, dont get me wrong. But better then LittleBigPlanet, just… no.

8. Patrick Garratt

Blerk – My housemate at the time finished it. With a Prima guide. It seemed to take about 12 years.

9. Mike

Halo 3 is easily better than LBP. It’s doesn’t have woolly, unresponsive controls and LBP doesn’t have any guns in it. ;)

10. Patrick Garratt

There’s no way Sam and Max Hit the Road should be at 82. I wouldn’t have put it lower than 73, personally.

11. Johnny Cullen

It has The Paintinator!

12. Shatner

OoTlol

13. G1GAHURTZ

Guns FTW!

14. Axle

Technically speaking, LBP is not a game. Under the strictest definition, it’s at best a borderline case between game and play and at worst, merely play.

So, yes, Halo 3 is the better ‘game’, the questiopn should be, is it the better experience?

15. DaMan

it has GTA4 > GTA SA and RE4>RE1..

I could go on forever :(

16. Syrok

Why is LBP not a game?

17. G1GAHURTZ

I’m shocked people find OoT so difficult to play.

One of my fave games ever, and it doesn’t even have any guns!

It took me about a weeks solid gaming to finish it and I enjoyed pretty much every minute.

When I got Wind Waker, I even got the special edition with OoT on it, so I could play it all over again.

18. Blerk

I don’t find it difficult, I just find it boring. That intro section is pure bottled tedium.

LttP is much better. And Wind Waker is easily the best 3D Zelda.

19. Roybott

I missed OoT back in the day and despite being told numerous times by everyone to go back I play it, I still haven’t.

Should I?

20. Blerk

21. Syrok

Yes, don’t be too shocked by the graphics though. It looks terrible on a big screen.

22. Tiger Walts

“And Wind Waker is easily the best 3D Zelda.”

And it’s not even complete.

There’s also a distinct lack of DotT, if Sam and Max is in there, it has to be there too.

23. Gamoc

Sorry, no, Ocarina of Time does not win. Just no.

24. G1GAHURTZ

I didn’t think it was that bad… it’s only about 1% of the whole game anyway, so once you get past it there’s loads ahead of you.

IMO OoT poo poos all over WW from a great height. The first 10 or so hours of WW are much better than anything in OoT, but after that, things go downhill rapidly. You just spend the entire rest of the game sailing around, not doing much. The whole return to Hyrule bit was just a total joke, too. All you got was a loading corridor and a feeble excuse for a final castle. They could have done so much more.

Plus, WW only has a handful of caves. The rest is exploration and unconnected puzzles. OoT has so much more.

Up until the most recent Zelda, I’d pretty much played them all with a few exceptions. But the end of WW just left me feeling cheated. It was like they’d made half a game, then couldn’t be bothered to make the rest of it, so they skipped straight to the final battle.

Nintendo started going downhill in their game production standards from about that point on, or just before it with Mario Sunshine.

25. G1GAHURTZ

The intro section is about 1% of the whole game, that is…

26. Blerk

Don’t get me wrong, Wind Waker’s very far from perfect – like Tiger said, it’s basically unfinished for a start. But it’s still the best 3D Zelda I’ve played. Twilight Princess was such a disappointment in comparison.

27. G1GAHURTZ

I still haven’t tried Twilight Princess. I needed something that was going to convince my to that Zelda was back on track after WW, and everything that I’ve seen from it so far hasn’t been that impressive.

28. Tonka

Glad to see RE4 getting the recognition it deserves. Fucking some of those paid for 10′s that EDGE have been all too glad to dish out lately.

29. Ratso

I haven’t seen the list and it’s blocked to me at work here but these things are always, and can only be ‘wrong’ objectively and subjectively.

Street Fighter IV is clearly the best game to play today. Or Left 4 Dead. Or Peggle. Or Bubble Bobble. etc. forever.

30. Axle

Syrok: It’s not a game because it’s closer to freeform play, like playing with bricks or Lego. Games need rules, player attachment, valorisation of outcome etc to be understood as games.

LBP is closer to Lego (freeform play) than it is to Halo, so while it may be entertaining, it’s not strictly a game.

Sorry to be so pedantic, but you asked!

31. stanhouse

Grid,Fifa 09,Outrun 2006 in the “best games to play today” list is just ridiculous and makes this list totally untrusted.
    Where is the Gran Turismo and Pro evolution series???!!!!

32. jnms

Come on this is ‘Edge’ we are talking about. Any game list from them is about as good as a game list from The Sun…

33. Axle

Yeah, Grid is well overrated, but not as much as RacePro (an 8 in Edge? Are they being violated by Wallander?!?!?)

You must know that Edge don’t deign as far to review games for the hoi polloi such as Pro Evo and FIFA. Too populist. Too ‘chavvy’.

34. Truk

Saying LBP isn’t a game is like saying GTA isn’t a game.

35. Axle

In some regards it isn’t, especially when you are operating outside of the mission structure and just tooling around, but I would argue that the player is far more attached to the fate of the character than the abstreaction of LBP.

That’s not to trivialise the investment of time and effort of LBP, but that it’s closer to play than truly a game.

Check out this and make your own mind up, especially the stuff on ‘Abstract Game’, ‘Negotiable Consequences’ and ‘Game’:

36. cachucha

must be a joke, no diablo, baldurs gate, pes, sim city, call of duty, etc. etc.

37. G1GAHURTZ

LBP is a game.

It has a ‘campaign’ mode where all you do is play.

Without the level building tools it would still be a side scrolling platformer.

38. lelik

tried zelda once, got stuck and confused for 2 hours right at the beginning. never again.

39. Monk

damn there list, Plz FFVII IN 50?
    FFVIII isn`t there ?

RE2 also isn`t there, don`t make me laugh

40. Truk

Yes, yes, that’s all very nice. It’s still a game. It has all the elements required to be a game. I don’t understand where you get the idea it doesn’t.

41. Withnail

All the people complaining about the list should take the time to read how it was compiled. This isn’t Edge arbitrarily making a list of 100 games.

And OOT is awesome. FACT.

42. Axle

OK. Glad you had a look at it. We’re all meant to have opinions, it’s what makes the world so interesting . . .