Guerrilla to potentially alter Killzone 2′s controls

Wednesday, 4th March 2009 15:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

killzone210

In a post on the US PS boards, Guerrilla Games producer Seb Downie’s confirmed that the firm is looking at potentially changing Killzone 2′s controls.

1. We have not decided if we are going to do anything to the controls. We are investigating.
2. If we change them, we have not said how. No reason to get upset. We are not going to turn them on their head. It would not be sweeping changes.
3. Any potential changes made will be carefully analyzed and tested to ensure they do not negatively affect players who do not experience any issues.

We’ve dropped some questions over to SCEE about this, so we’ll see what happens. Sounds… drastic.

1. Syrok

Keyboard and mouse control confirmed!

2. Gekidami

Thats the US PS boards.

3. Patrick Garratt

Ta, changed that.

4. phatb0y

Keyboard and mouse? Oh if fucking only.

I don’t understand the whole ‘dogs and cats living together’ furore surrounding the controls. I managed to adjust to them pretty rapidly and I’m no FPS diva.

Personally I’d rather they take a look at sentries and bots. Make them do something instead of just being pretty distractions (and easy points) for the enemy.

5. Blerk

This seems like a pretty odd thing to do. What are people bitching about, exactly – surely FPS controls are all pretty much of a muchness?

I wonder if we could get them to have a word with the Resi 5 team? :-D

6. Tiger Walts

There appears to be a degree of lag added to the controls. This stops it being too much of a twitch shooter. Some people are complaining though as it is just that, lag rather than inertia. Controls take about a tenth of a second to respond and if you tap or flick the controls quick enough, not register them at all.

I agree that dampening twitch-play can be a desired design goal but it seems to be at a loss of fidelity in this case.

7. Johnny Cullen

DEAR GOD, STOP BITCHING ABOUT THE CONTROLS!

Their a little wonky at first when you play for the first time (demo or full game) but you get used to them!

Dont like it, change the controls around.

*sigh*

Although if this happens, they better keep the default controls int here, I am used to the ones included in the game already.

8. Morrius

‘Stick to’ cover would be better, its pretty hard to hold L2 (cover) and L1 (iron sights) and also press L3 (peek) and R3 (aim) plus R1 (shoot), all at the same time. I got used to it though. I used alternate 2 and zoom hold, which probably made it more complicated.

9. No_PUDding

They shouldn’t have given the COD4 option, just confuses people even more.

I love the Standard one they give you.

It’s part of fuckign games if you ask me, there should be no alternate control schemes.

Or atleast the changes of certains ones, can;t chnage from R1 to R2, they are totally different inputs. Makes me crazy!!!

10. Madeira

So Killzone 2 is a must-have system selling killer app- but they need to patch the game to fix the controls?

I don’t have a PS3, haven’t played Killzone 2- but that’s bizarre. Reviews are over the top and most of the word of mouth is very positive- yet a lot of people think the aiming is laggy, and here we have GG admitting a fix may be necessary. The whole thing is very odd.

11. Retroid

I’ve had no problem with the controls, but then I know it’s not trying to be a very arcadey game.

GUNS ARE HEAVY

12. No_PUDding

Reviews aren’t over the top at all.

They’ve been mixed. Lowest being an EDGE 7.

13. Madeira

@No_PUDding: 91 on Metacritic with 74 reviews…

14. Hunam

They’re not that heavy Retroid, KZ2 is akin to swinging a giant axe around.

15. Tiger Walts

This complaint doesn’t seem to be to do with the intentional decision to add inertia but rather input lag. I personally welcome adding inertia to create a slower more tactical experience but it seems this lag issue isn’t related to it.

You can still have inertia dampened aiming without losing fidelity but it’s impossible if the game isn’t reacting to input.

16. Monk

people who i know are complain about the control
    because isn`t like COD4 AS speed and its so heavy ?!

in reality, i don`t blame them in so how, because
    the are fuck in cod4, like my brother who standing in
    my PS3 and play cod4 Like there isn`t game in the world
    but this game !!

so they wona this game like cod4 ! >> which i con`t agree
    with them !!

17. Psychotext

Out of interest… how heavy do you reckon these guns are generally compared to something like a shotgun? Because I’ve used a shotgun (clay pidgeon shooting) a number of times and never had any great difficulty moving it quickly.

18. Retroid

They’re obviously 18th century cannon.

:D

19. elronathon

@ Monk: I’m not being funny, I genuninely have no idea what you just said.

20. Shatner

killzone2iscalledkillzone2notcod4duhlol

21. Patrick Garratt

Guns aren’t that heavy. I’ve fired loads of military guns and assault rifles are pretty manageable. Mind you, stick a grenade launcher on it and oversize it “for fun” and it might be a little different.

And machine guns weigh a fucking ton.

22. Psychotext

Talking of which… do you move slower when you’re carrying a LMG vs a SMG in KZ2?

23. Patrick Garratt

That I do not know. I’ll have a look later.

24. Yoshi

The only ppl who complain are cod whores lol
    The controls suit the games atmosphere so ****in much lol,
    I also think alot of it ppl are imaginin becos the player (gun n hands view) moves and stuff in a certain way to make it look more slower

25. DrDamn

@Morrius
    I started with the closest to CoD in layout (Alt-2) like you – it’s madness though, switch back to standard or standard 2, stick zoom on a toggle and it all works quite nicely.

26. Gekidami

Like the base controls or not, i dont think anyone deny that the lack of custom button mapping is a real downer.

27. woodyrulesok

Once you get the hang of them they are very natural. No harder to learn than any other game.

28. scuz

best test to see how bad the lag is by doing a mini circle on the look stick and you’ll see you’re not making a circle..

do the same on cod4…

29. DrDamn

@scuz
    With a lag issue you’d still be doing a circle – just a bit after you expected to – you are talking about deadzone, not lag.

30. Psychotext

Looked last night… as best I could tell (I wasn’t going to get the stopwatch out), you run the same speed carrying the heavy ass LMG as you do an SMG or Assault Rifle.

31. Monk

@elronathon: sorry for my bad english, u now i`m from
    KSA by the way, so my english isn`t that good.
    what i want to say, the everybody who i now and play cod4
    everytime and only call of duty 4, there are complain about
    the control is heavy and not speed as call of duty 4,
    that all not wona play it because of that !

32. G1GAHURTZ

That’s because COD4′s controls work well and have been continually refined over many different versions.

When you combine COD4 (still being played by people in huge numbers) and COD:WAW, I’d say that COD is easily one of the most played games in the world right now.

Part of the reason for that is the accuracy and speed of the controls.

So it’s no suprise that people want something equal, if not better in KZ2.

33. theevilaires