Howard: “Wii is getting stuck with quick-buck games”

Wednesday, 18th February 2009 08:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wiilogoa2

Bethesda’s Todd Howard’s said his main industry concern is that Wii’s being under-served with shoddy software aimed at exploiting children.

“I’m worried the Wii is getting stuck with quick-buck games aimed at children who don’t know any better,” he said, speaking in an interview with the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences.

And it’s not just Wii being pigeon-holed, apparently. Reiterating a comment he made at ComicCon recently, the developer said that “360 and PS3 are all about M rated killfests.”

He added: “As an industry, we have to make sure the world knows that gaming is for everyone, and not just kids or thirtysomethings who never grew up.”

Howard was speaking with the Academy ahead of DICE, which starts in Las Vegas today.

1. Retroid

He sent his best investigator

2. chocy82

Says the man who helped build one of the most violent games of 2008

3. Tonka

His main concern is that it’s being under served with cheap tat? I’d say he can stop worrying about that. If anything it’s being over served.

4. Blerk

My kids are pretty bored with the Wii already. :-D

5. Tonka

Was it due to being under served?

6. Retroid

I’m free!*

*tenuous joke

7. deanimate

I only own a wii but goddamn it has some tat, masquerading as “games” available for it. I only 4 games because:
    -im skint
    -most games are terrible

nintendo really need a seal of approval or something that stops idiots releasing tedious crap.

8. Blerk

360s are cheaper than Wiis now. You could probably exchange your Wii kit and games for a free 360 at GAME or somewhere. That’d teach ‘em. Or not.

9. JesteR

I think this guy has some serious issues. He always says that. I think thats also an insult to the players because its just not true. I dont care about “killfests”. I want quality games with good graphics. The Wii has shit graphics and also almost only shit games.