Most Future mags saw circulation drops last year

Thursday, 12th February 2009 14:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

futurelogo

ABC figures have shown that the majority of Future’s games mags dropped in circulation last year, with only the Official PS Mag, PSW and ONM recording any increases.

All the figures, 2007 to 2008, as compiled by GamesIndustry:

• Edge – 31,304 to 28,898
  • GamesMaster – 51,389 to 40,940
  • OPM – 46,018 to 53,644
  • PSW – 21,826 to 24,118
  • ONM – 58,754 to 58,795
  • OXM – 66,894 to 63,908
  • Xbox World 360 – 31,698 to 31,030
  • PSM3 – 26,885 to 26,202
  • PC Gamer – 38,654 to 32,619
  • PC Zone – 22,297 to 19,023

1. Grimrita

Over priced pieces of tat. Print is really dead and simply cant compete with online now.

2. Hunam

I swapped from PC Zone to Edge, but will be cancelling Edge because they can’t be bothered to post it in good time.

3. Blerk

Are you outside the UK, Hunam? I always get my subs Edge about a week before it hits the shelves.

I agree that print is pretty much dead for games coverage. It’s just a shame that most online sources aren’t as well written as Edge. And nobody’s invented an affordable Star Trek ‘pad’ yet so I can read them on the bog.

4. SticKboy

Wow – just OPM and PSW seeing big gains? I guess the fandroids must be staying true to their word when they say that they’re going to boycott certain sites.

5. Hunam

I’m in the UK, midlands to be precise, but I’ve only got a single sub issue before shelf date.

6. Hunam

Infact, still not got the latest issue, when did it come out? Tis beyond a joke when the KZ2 review goes on the web before I get my magazine.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Well it’s still not in the local WH Smith’s if that’s any consolation.

8. Blerk

It’s not officially out until today. Subs arrived last Saturday. Well… mine did.

9. Retroid

I can’t remember the last time I picked up a games magazine with a view to buying it. T’was probably Edge because the last time I picked up any other games mag would’ve been an Official one for a cover demo, and I’ve not touched one with a shitty stick since they were downloadable!

10. Ratso

Were NGamer’s numbers so low that they didn’t even want to publish them?

11. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just seen the press release. NGamer “sold 4.4% more copies, at 17,801″.

12. SticKboy

I still really enjoy my subscription to GamesTM, to be fair…

13. JonFE

I still purchase my fair share on a monthly basis: PC Gamer, PC Format, Edge, Computer Arts (& Projects) and Official Nintendo (for my son).

I certainly could do with some saved funds if I stopped, but I can’t get my self to do it yet :-|

14. Retroid

The turning point for me was standing in the queue in Virgin with an OPS2M, OXM & Edge (they’d all coincided that weekend) and then thinking to myself “Hang on… there’s a full game I want sitting on that shelf for a tenner!”

So I put them all back on the shelf and bought the game instead, which was a much better use of t3h m0nies! \o/

Eurogamer has a lot to answer for ;)