Killzone 2 US demo on PSN day before launch, says Sony

Friday, 16th January 2009 15:00 GMT By Mike

killzone1b3.jpg

Scott Steinberg, Sony US marketeer, told MTV that everyone in the US can download the Killzone 2 demo on Feb. 26, the day before the game is released.

“Offering a playable demo to motivate pre-orders speaks to our confidence in the appeal of a game such as Killzone 2,” he said. ”

We take this approach when we are convinced that the experience will cement a consumer’s interest in purchasing.”

“We also offer demos on PSN, which we have done in the past with great success, and will continue to make that available,” added Steinberg.

“Killzone 2, for example, will have a downloadable demo launch in North America the week that the game is launching, for consumers who prefer that option.”

For those of you who pre-order the game via Gamestop, you will be given access to the Killzone 2 taster on Feb. 2, writes EG.

Still nothing on Europe.

By Mike Bowden

1. Psychotext

Good news. I was hoping to be able to play a demo to see if I can get over my current distaste for FPS games.

2. Bleak Harvest

I wonder if they will give out codes on those scratchcards again… if so, February 2nd will be a fun-filled day.

3. No_PUDding

I hope here in Euro land we get it before then.

4. Retroid

“Please don’t pre-order our game!”, sayeth Sony.

5. theevilaires

how are they saying that you noob

6. Retroid

Because your pre-order would already be on its way / on your doorstep by the time the demo arrived, that’s why.

I’m not going to sink to the level of name-calling either.

See? A reasonable reply. It’s not difficult.

7. theevilaires

what so what who cares a demo doesn’t hurt you are an idiot.

8. mortiferus

@ retroid, theevilaires always seems to have a bug up his rear. Ignore him! Anyhow, a demo release the day before the actual release? Especially when most co. break the street release dates? Hmmm, That is indicative of one, just how stupid Sony has become as of late or two, that there is a lack of confidence in the product.

I’ve already heard from a few folks that KZ2 is too “Rigid” in terms of game play. Not to the point of feeling on rails, but how it lacks the flow of a COD4. Then again that was also a problem with the first game.

9. Retroid

“what so what who cares a demo doesn’t hurt you are an idiot.”

…. that’s the point. It being released so late that it makes no difference to initial orders is silly. If they’ve got a demo ready to go it should be made available as soon as possible so potential customers (like myself) could put in a pre-order, which shops and distributors prefer to know in advance.

Also, why are you so damned hostile when I’m pointedly trying not to be, hmm? It makes you sound like a coked-up teenager.

10. theevilaires

Retroid said: January 16th, 2009 at 6:41 pm
    “what so what who cares a demo doesn’t hurt you are an idiot.”

11. theevilaires

mortiferus said: January 16th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

as for you my xbox asslicking enemy.Stop trashing KZ2 because you’re afraid it will shit on you precious halo and gears of war.You don’t own a ps3 and never will so stop your pathetic attempt to ruin ps3 exclusives you’d die for on 360

12. JonFE

I hate trying to reason with someone clearly oblivious to reading comprehension, but, if you DO pre-order and the demo comes AFTER your pre-order has been dispatched (which is likely to happen, as most online shops will dispatch pre-orders a bit earlier, so that the customer will get them on the day of release), you are not able to “cancel the damn preorder” (as you so eloquently put it) and have no alternative than WAIT for it to arrive and then RETURN it.

It may come as a surprise to you, but some people feel that this is an unnecessary hassle that could be easily avoided IF the demo came a bit earlier, giving them enough time to try it and decide whether they like the game or not BEFORE their pre-order is dispatched.

Hope that this clears up what Retroid meant – if not, so be it…

13. theevilaires

so you’re telling me you’re too lazy to goto a real shop in town to preorder and that you only preorder games from online? ok now you cleared it up for me sorry i’m not a fat ass who sits in front of his monitor like most people do trying to enter the matrix. Get a fucking life goto a real game store and as a bonus you get exercise. some of you bastards are probably scared to go outside into the real world because of the shit you say.You’d probably get your asses beat the shit out of im guessing.

14. No_PUDding

I am telling you to shut up.

By the way mortiferus, where did you read that preview; That sounds pretty much invented to me. Rigid? Moreso than CoD4? Especially since that was not at ALL the problem with [the first] Killzone.

The first Killzone was buggy as shit, wasn’t as pretty as Halo and didn’t have the same incredible AI.

15. theevilaires

No_PUDding said: January 17th, 2009 at 12:42 am
    I am telling you to shut the fuck up you noisy shitbag.

you must be one of those fat bastards. you should change your name from no-pudding to got-pudding?

16. No_PUDding

I deserved that, but understand that you get on my flabby man-tits. You know on accoutn of me beign a fat bastard and all.

Basically you’re just annoying. And you make no sense. I dont’ understand why you’re here.

Maybe you can answer these questions, and I’d be less inclined to swear.

17. absolutezero

Wait wait wait. Call of Duty 4 flowed?

18. No_PUDding

I know. That got me a bit.

I was browsing on my PS3, and I couldn’t bothered to sign in there.

So I left it the whole evening waited to get in, and then saw if I could bring it back up…..

It’s kind of wrong on every single point, so I hope mortiferus sees this.

19. Retroid

“you don’t need to play a demo to preorder the game. Its called “read other peoples feed back and see what they compare the game to and if you like what you read about it then buy it”.How hard is it to understand when people say its feels better than cod4.If you want to preorder it than preorder it, play the demo and if you don’t like it CANCEL THE DAMN PREORDER.”

I’d prefer to play a demo to see what *I* think of the game, after all, when it comes to big games and reviews a lot of reviewers *WILL* get carried away and say a game is perfect when it’s not.

There were things I liked about the first Killzone, things I didn’t, and I’d like to see for myself if that translates into gameplay I’ll enjoy.

Also: some of us are rather busy with our lives so don’t always have the time to saunter on down to a game shop. I’d rather have it delivered for when I get back home.

20. mortiferus

LOL @ theevilaires http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/20/50-cent-game-better-than-killzone-2-and-street-fighter-iv-says-ma/

Told u so.

21. Psychotext

Don’t tempt him out of his lair, he’s been quiet recently. :(

22. fearmonkey

@mortiferus
    That’s hilarious, i’m sure that 50 cent game only uses .000005 % of the Cell’s power too.