Sony expects Killzone 2 to fare better than MGS4

Wednesday, 7th January 2009 11:23 GMT By Mike

killzone3b.jpg

According to this V for Videogames piece, a Sony rep has said the company expects Killzone 2 sales to be as good, if not better than Metal Gear Solid 4.

“It would be a lie to say Sony has not invested heavily in Killzone 2 and each individual at Guerilla games has worked even harder to satisfy any expectations kept by the company and their loyal community,” said the rep.

“I do see the game breaking a barrier with a huge variety of groups and expect it to see sales as good as Metal Gear Solid 4 if not beyond it.”

More through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Fare, not fair. :-)

2. SilentLoner

Lets hope they market the shit out of it then :D

3. Blerk

I can’t imagine it doing better than MGS, tbh. But we’ll see.

4. Len

@silentloner

I was chatting about this to a m8 yesterday.

Surely if it’s out in Feb (say in the next 6 weeks) then shouldn’t they really should be pushing it bigtime now, especially as it’s so important to/for them…? I’ve heard and seen nowt about it except on game sites and magazines.

Or does it all start soon (hope so for their sake)…?

Looking fwd to giving it a whirl personally.

5. SticKboy

I can’t imagine it *not* doing better than MGS4 – it is much more accessible and has a far broader appeal than Konami’s effort.

6. SreyaNotfilc

@Len

I believe so. MGS, Halo, GTA, LBP were all marketed heavily months before release day. With this game it seems as if they are waiting until the last moment then start showing screenshots, videos, posters, commercials. I hope it turns out great. I don’t have a PS3 (and am not planning on buying one for a loooong time), but I think it will be good for Sony if it does well.

7. No_PUDding

Bah, good luck Sony….

It won’t happen.

Would it have to be like 4 million sales eventually?

Who knows, I know I am gonna pick it upm, but I dunno if that means a damn thing, seeign as I picked up Valkyria Chronicles.

8. Psychotext

By that comment I assume you mean that you don’t always back games that are sales successes? Look on the bright side, VC is awesome… even if it is under appreciated.

As for KZ2 doing 4m. I don’t know… MGS had a huge fanbase to call upon and very little competition at the time of release. There’s obviously a few more PS3s out there now though.

9. Tonka

If the multi player is good enough they might have a chance. After MGS4 was released I mostly heard grumbles of lengthy load (sorry, install) times, cut scenes and brain busting plot line.

Not much talk about how incredibly great it was. When MGS for the PSX came out everybody I knew who played it said “Buy it, it’s amazing”

That is what KZ2 have to achieve. And from the previews I’ve read it might be possible.

10. G1GAHURTZ

If this game turns out to be good, and they drop the price of the PS3, I would buy one to play it.

11. Blerk

Interesting. I’ve always seen Killzone as Sony’s attempt to create something Halo-esque for their own fanbase. I don’t expect it to sell PS3s to 360 owners, who already have more than enough FPSes of their own.

We’re not expecting any significant boost to PS3 sales for the Killzone 2 release, are we? Or are we?

12. tenthousandgothsonacid

I might buy this and I had no interest in MGS4 so may be they are right…

13. No_PUDding

Well if there’s advertising, for sure Blerk. But Sony suck ass at advertising (nowadays).

But the point is that known series are goign to sell better on new Hardware, I think the original Killzone did 2 million, and I expect an increase on that.

And yeah, thats exactly what I mean Psychotext xD

14. Psychotext

In the US it could boost sales. Much like MGS4 did for the PS3 in Japan.

15. Blerk

Hmm. The ‘usually overblown’ VGChartz figures suggest that Killzone actually sold about 750,000 copies. They’re going to have to work some to outsell MGS4, I suspect. Especially seeing as the original Killzone didn’t review particularly well.

16. No_PUDding

Hmm, is that wordlwide? Becuase I agree they usually exaggerate stuff, but if it’s US only, then it could still make sense.

I swear I read 2 million somewhere.

17. Tonka

How much did MGS4 do?

18. Blerk

Actually, now that I look I see that there’s no Euro or Japanese data for Killzone 2 in their database. So you can probably add a bunch for Europe and a handful for Japan, but I still think you’d be far short of 2 million.

According to the same made-up-figures windbags, MGS4 has done 3.78m.

19. Psychotext

Killzone doesn’t appear on the PS2 best sellers list over at Wikipedia which means it must have fallen short of 1m sales. (making it pretty much a non-event in PS2 game terms but that’s another story)

20. No_PUDding

Yeah well 2 million would be an achievement for this game, thats for sure.

21. Tonka

OK, so that is what the 4 million figure was for. (Outperforming MGS4) That is quite a lot isn’t it?

It will need to get some serious buzz going.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

I just had a look at madeupchrtz.com and they have the Wii at nearly 50% o_O

THE END IS NIGH!

22. Retroid

I don’t think this has much to do with how well the original Killzone did (in any respect) anymore, I think it’s more to do with it being an ever-present behemoth over the PS3 brand since E3 2005, for better or worse.

I’d lay good money on most of the people who’re gagging for this never having laid a finger on the original game.

This could go either way, really…. not many people expected Halo 3 to give a sales bump to the 360 but it surprised almost everyone!

23. Blerk

Well, that’s certainly true. And everyone expected GTAIV to have a significant impact and it hardly registered.

Time for a flutter? :-D