WoW is the target for The Old Republic, says LucasArts and EA

Friday, 24th October 2008 09:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

theoldrepublic.jpg

Both EA and LucasArts have confirmed to VG247 that the target for BioWare’s newly announced Star Wars: The Old Republic is to make an MMO with a larger userbase than World or Warcraft.

“We have very high expectations for this,” said EA Games president Frank Gibeau, speaking this week at LucasArts’ HQ in San Francisco.

“Just look at the base of Star Wars fans, plus what BioWare can do. Trust me: we want to win. EA’s reputation is for wanting to win.

“This is going to be a powerful category and there’s lots of ways to compete in this category. [Blizzard] created a much larger opportunity for everybody else, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way.”

LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record.

“When World of Warcraft came out, everybody thought, ‘No, the market is only this big, because that’s as big as EverQuest was.’ Blizzard showed that it could be much larger,” he said.

“Our goal is to show that by bringing storytelling to the genre that we can attract an even wider audience. Plus, we have the benefit of this huge brand, which has done very, very well for nearly 30 years.”

When asked specifically if he believed the game will be bigger than World of Warcraft, Nichols said all the ingredients were in place.

“I think this game has that potential, with a premiere developer behind it; with a clear differentiating feature being story and something that’s very compelling, and being a feature that’s true to BioWare’s expertise as well as the Star Wars brand; plus the power of the Star Wars brand, which is still doing very, very well 30 years after it started,” he said.

“The opportunity is there for us to do that.”

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a PC-only MMO set in the KOTOR Star Wars timeline, and was shown for the first time in California earlier this week.

The game has no release date.

1. Blerk

Hahahahahahaha! Good luck with that. :lol:

2. patlike

They believe it. No doubt. I think the story guy said in the panel that the game has more content than all other BioWare games ever made in total. They were using words like, “insane.”

3. Blerk

Yeah, but the trouble is, they’ve instantly limited themselves to fans of Star Wars. Which is immediately a much smaller potential audience than ‘anyone who’s ever read, watched or played something a bit fantasy-ish’.

It’s nice for them to have lofty goals, but surely it would’ve been better to have some realistic targets to aim for first?

4. Vahn16

I don’t know. Star Wars is pretty much the go-to sci-fi series, and, in terms of all time box office revenues, each film in the series is near the top ten. I think MMOTOR has a better shot than anyone else at dethroning WoW. EA’s money + BioWare’s skill + Star Wars license drenched in years of nostalgia = tons of potential.

Now if the game’s release collides head on with Blizzard’s “next-gen MMO,” things will be really interesting.

5. Centipede

I really doubt they can make this true. I’ll cross my fingers for them…. Hopefully it will not be a WoW clone with Sci-Fi graphics.

6. damocles

Nostalgia for Starwars? Who has time for nostalgia when its shoved down our collectives throats every few years by Lucasarts?

I really don’t understand the fascination with SW any more. The new movies were terrible and the universe is old and tired at this point even when ‘reinvented’. I know millions disagree but I also know millions more are in agreement at this point.

Bioware have survived almost solely on the SW IP for nearly a decade now and to be honest they have been getting less and less inventive with each iteration. Mass Effect is just plain boring. This massive respect for them baffles me. I don’t understand why they are renowned as such a great developer when their ‘story driven’ aspects involve nothing more interesting than the ancient ‘select a response’ mechanism.

And before anyone labels me as a troll, I have several friends who work at Bioware, I know they are talented and I know the company is a great one to work for, but I still dont understand why they have such respect.

To be honest, the last game that came out of Bioware that I truly enjoyed was BG2. Most of the people that worked on that game are gone now.

EA cant possibly help the equation because they have just introduced the silly kind of attitude made evident in this article. ‘EA’s reputation is for wanting to win’?? Come on. So what if it is, it doesn’t mean shit unless you have the people to make it happen.

7. Glam

From my understanding after reading a while in the community area they really wish to challenge “World Of Warcraft”.
    Are they really going to put up a fight? i am unsure, it does seem many people are excited about this game.

But as a SWG vet i am not happy about this at all.. (you can figure why..), oh well, keeping my fingers crossed for some company with the guts to go where SWG did, and not tail WoW.