August NPD: Figures released, 360 beats PS3

• PSP – 253.0K
  • PS2 – 144.1K
  • 360 – 195.2K
  • Wii – 453.0K
  • Nintendo DS – 518.3K

Software

1. Madden NFL 09 (360, EA)
  2. Madden NFL 09 (PS3, EA)
  3. Madden NFL 09 (PS2, EA)
  4. Wii Fit (Wii, Nintendo)
  5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii, Nintendo)
  6. Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo)
  7. Soulcalibur IV (360, Namco)
  8. Too Human (360, Microsoft)
  9. Madden NFL 09 (Wii, EA)
  10. Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS, Activision Blizzard)

Dollar Sales Aug-07 Aug-08 CHG YTD Aug 07 YTD Aug 08 CHG
Video Games $994.76M $1.08M 9% $8.02B $10.55B 32%
Video Games Hardware $384.59M $394.53M 3% $3.11B $3.73B 20%
Video Games Software $489.06M $550.67M 13% $3.80B $5.45B 43%
Video Game Accessories $121.11M $137.33M 13% $1.11B $1.38B 24%

1. Syrok

Looks like Pachter was wrong and overestimated all figures. And the EEDAR and Psychotext aswell.To be fair, though. Psycho got pretty close with his guess for the 360 sales.

2. No_PUDding

So now I just have to be right with Rare and Banjo and Kazooie and I will proabably own the world.

:O @ Wii

Low ass

Closest it’s come in ages to not beating PS3 and 360 combined!

3. Psychotext

Shit. lol.

What was I posting again No_PUD? Fair is fair!

4. Psychotext

Here were mine again:

[NDS] 564K
    [WII] 544K
    [PSP] 220K
    [PS3] 208K
    [360] 192K
    [PS2] 144K

I’m miles off on the Wii, but very happy with the rest of them to be honest.

5. No_PUDding

Okay so Psycho, mixed with the luke warm previews of Banjo and Kazooie…

You still don’t want to pull out? I tend to be right all the time. :D

I kid, they were actually pretty great estimates.

6. Psychotext

lol… I can’t actually find what I was supposed to post. I should have bookmarked it. :(

7. No_PUDding

Don’t even bother… I am already arrogant as feck just from one little win insignificant lucky win.

And it was lucky becuase rather than the PS3 drop, I was expecting the 360 to have a little bump.

It’s the PS3 that’s dropped.

HD gaming :(

8. Psychotext

Indeed, and because Blerk isn’t here to say it…

hdlol & seems over for HD gaming.

9. No_PUDding

It’s not…

When games like Madden are still top of the charts on 360/PS3.

It’s safe for now.

10. Psychotext

For now…

muhahahahah! :D

11. No_PUDding

Haha

Damn man. I resisted the temptation of an evil laugh. If I’d known they were socially acceptable here, then….

12. Cort

Looks like Revolution Blue was right on one of his points that the Sony hardware announcements in July had more potential to put a brake on console purchases in August than a few rumors about a pending price cut for the 360:

360 down 10k approx (-4.5% approx), July-August
    PS3 down 40k approx (-17.5% approx), July-August

But, of course, he was totally wrong about the iron grip of the 360 on the US market……wasn’t he? Now for those post-360 price cut figures for September through to the Holiday season…….

13. Psychotext

Unless of course it’s just the case that not many people want either the 360 or the PS3 full stop. ;) On a slightly different note… the PS3 figures are quite interesting for the last few months.

June: 81.10k p/w
    July: 56.23k p/w
    August: 46.35k p/w

I wonder how much it will bounce back next month.

14. Cort

Psychotext – Your figures start with the month in which MGS4 was released and provided a huge spike in hardware sales. As a consequence they suggest the PS3 was in a steep downward trend anyway and that the August NPD data are merely a continuation of that trend. In fact, the PS3 was in an upward trend:

PS3 sales (US) (monthly)
    ================
    April – 187,100
    May – 208,700
    June – 405,500 (MGS4)
    July – 224,900
    August – 185,400

(April’s figure was down on March; there is a clear upward trend since that month.)

I’d say that this is strong evidence that the hardware announcements hit sales, rather than consumers suddenly deciding they didn’t want one.

15. Psychotext

Oh yeah, I know that, and the downwards trend thing wasn’t my intention. I’m not trying to show it in one light or another… I’m just trying to figure out where it’s going to bounce back to when it all settles. For more completeness, here’s the weekly figures for the year:

01: 67.25k p/w
    02: 70.20k p/w
    03: 51.40k p/w
    04: 46.75k p/w
    05: 52.18k p/w
    06: 81.10k p/w
    07: 56.23k p/w
    08: 46.35k p/w

Average: 58.93k p/w

16. Blerk

hdlol & seems over for HD gami… hey! You stole my line! :-)

The curse of Pachter strikes again! Whatever he says, the opposite happens. I wonder if I could convince him to say “Blerk will not win the lottery this weekend”? :-D