Hands-on with BioShock PS3, new movies posted

Saturday, 6th September 2008 09:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bioshock3.jpg

Gamespot’s posted up a hands-on with the PS3 version of BioShock, out on October 24. Snip:

Outside of the proper single-player experience, we had a chance to try the Survivor mode, which offers a greater level of challenge that forces you to be smarter about how you play the game. Enemy behavior has been tweaked, and the damage you cause has been modified, so you won’t be sailing through the mode even if you’re familiar with the original game.

There are three new movies after the break, including footage of the new Survivor mode and Trophy options.

1. morriss

Gotta be bought, really.

2. Gamoc

The video player won’t work for me – asks for my age, I put it in, and it says ‘undefined’. ¬¬

3. Bleak Harvest

Got the same crap as Gamoc. My dislike for Gamespot increases..

4. No_PUDding

I think I’ll take a miss. This game does so very little for me, I never understood the hyperbole surrounding it once I experienced it myself.

You’d think that god just bestowed the greatest and most clever FPS game unto the earth.

5. XDamage

Cool videos, can’t wait to play it. So many great games this fall!

6. Dr.Haggard

Not god, Ken Levine – Looking Glass alumnus and lead designer of System Shock 2, one of the greatest games of all time – bestowed a new game on the earth. A new game inspired by System Shock and the Looking Glass legacy no less.

It wasn’t perfect – in certain respects it was quite disappointing for an old System Shock fan – but it was brilliant, and it had one of the most beautifully realised, original and atmospheric settings in games full stop, let alone for the genre.

7. No_PUDding

I think I alone am critical because I see concept artists all the time coming up with art deco inspired steam punk designs.

The only thing that set this apart was the System Shock inspired basis and the underwater setting certainly lent itself to all these designs that are never actually applied because they don’t suit the criteria.

But either way I can tell you a multitude of games that have a far better atmosphere and in terms of design have had a lot more effort put in. Especially when you say let alone for the genre. That’s exactly the kind of hyperbole I was talking about.

I suppose it’s stupid arguing a subjective point but it’s never stopped me before.

8. Psychotext

I loved it. I’m so sick of identikit FPS games and to be honest I’m pretty much done with the genre. Bioshock was like a breath of fresh air to me.

9. No_PUDding

I agree with idendikit games FPS’s though. Resistance 2 is a no-sale to me becuase of it, althoguh I hate most identikit games.

And I recognise what Bioshock did, but like in comparison to something like Morrowind (outside of the genre and admittedly I am a Morrowind fanboy) it’s absolutely samey.

Is steampunk really so radical to everyone, I guess is what I am trying to say. Enough to warrant it being called a masterpiece? Becuase the gameplay alone is just awkward to me.

10. XDamage

I never played any of the System Shock games, but Deus Ex and Thief I & II are among my all time favorite games. I hope there are some nods to their legacy in Bioshock also. :D

11. No_PUDding

I was just about to say (becuase you can’t read it all in that comment from the lastest comments section) Deus Ex and Thief (Thief I atleast) aren’t that imaginative.

They are both from pretty basic basckground.

Dues Ex is very cool, and I would go on record and say it’s way better than Bioshock. And Thief well, that was just special. The creativity behind levels did it for me.

12. Psychotext

Have you actually played Bioshock No_Pud? I mean I’d agree that Dues Ex and Thief are probably better, but then I’ve actually finished all of the games so it’s easier for me to compare.

13. Dr.Haggard

This is possibly the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever read from you, and that’s saying something. Aside from anything else I said “one of”.

But go on, give us your list of games whose design is the result of a “lot more effort”. It might be an interesting discussion if you can reign in the urge to post any more nonsense like above.

Oh and no, steampunk is not ‘radical’, who said it was? And why do you think something needs to be radical in order to be good?

14. Dr.Haggard

Deus Ex and Thief (Thief I atleast) aren’t that imaginative.

In what sense are you using the word imaginative here? A game doesn’t have to have the most original or complex premise to be imaginative.

Two of your favourite games, Ico and SotC, have incredibly simple premises, but would anyone argue that they’re not imaginative? They’re two of the best games ever made, and yet they are “from a pretty basic background“, so I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make.

15. Dr.Haggard

Btw Gamasutra posted a Bioshock post mortem this week, well worth a read.

16. sanduixe

I have to play this game.
    AWESOME!