MGS4 install times revealed, Kojima makes in-game Blu-ray joke

Monday, 9th June 2008 08:22 GMT By Mike

metalgear30.jpg

Someone over at NeoGaf has posted the in-between-chapter install times for MGS4, the total install being 4.6Gb.

This comes at the same time as an in-game conversation between Snake and Otacon is revealed where Otacon is telling Snake he doesn’t have to change disks because of the capacity of Blu-ray.

As the Metal Gear Solid 4 street date was broken by Wal-Mart last week, spoilers and in-game have inevitably made their way onto the internet.

Spoilers through the link. Watch the video here.

By Mike Bowden

8 Minutes = first install, when you start the game.

Then before each act, the time it takes to install is as follows

Act 2 – 3 mins
Act 3 – 3 mins
Act 4 – 2 mins
Act 5 – 1 min

1. Blerk

Well… that’s not too bad? Is it? I mean, you sit and watch Snake and someone-else-on-the-other-end-of-the-com rabbit on about relationships and Chinese philosophy and such for at least ten minutes every time you try to save.

2. morriss

Swapping disks > install times. :)

3. Blerk

No it isn’t morris, you lump! :-D

4. morriss

Takes me around 10-15 seconds to swap a disk then I can carry on playing. :)

5. Blerk

Disc swapping kills worlds. See “Tales of Symphonia” for reference.

6. Whizzo

People who make comments like that should be forced to play the Amiga version of Monkey Island only from floppy!

7. morriss

Didn’t kill Blue Dragon. Didn’t kill FFVII. Didn’t kill MGS1.

It wouldn’t kill MGS4.

8. morriss

Whizzo: I played CMItalia on the Amiga. 9 disks! :)

9. Killerbee

I dug out my Amiga copy of Beneath a Steel Sky the other day: 17 floppy disks.

Thanks goodness I had a capcious 80MB hard disk in my A1200!

10. Tiger Walts

If those installs are hidden behind cut-scenes then..

ABOUT FUCKING TIME someone did this.

If not, then at least you can go and make a fresh pot of tea/coffee.

11. mart

80mb KB?! Blimey, someone was doing alright eh?

12. Killerbee

Yep. :)

Ah, when 80MB of storage and 2MB of RAM was all you’d ever need… those were the days…

13. Michael

What do you to after you’ve bought 10 games with mandatory installs, and your hard-drive is completely full?

Wait seven minutes every time you want to play a game?

Man, it’s like the Commodore 64 all over again.

14. Blerk

Well, what did you do last generation when you went to play a game and your memory card was full? You deleted some old shit you weren’t playing any more or you bought another memory card.

15. Psychotext

I’ll enjoy swapping out hard drives like I would memory cards. :D

16. Blerk

Amazon were doing 1Tb drives for less than £100 the other week. I doubt you’d fill one of those up quickly. :-D