Miyamoto in third place on Time 100

Tuesday, 15th April 2008 07:25 GMT By Patrick Garratt

miyamoto.jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto is in third place in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people of the year award, as you can see here. Go and vote if you haven’t already. It’s a bit like putting “Jedi” as your religion on a census form, but should distract you for at least two minutes, and therefore worthwhile.

1. Tonka

Give the nerds someone to vote for on your INTERNET poll.
    (smily that covers eyes with hand and shakes head)
    It’s like the NBA All Star team. As long as China won’t ban access to NBA.com Yao Ming will be on it.

2. Shatner

AS much as I adore games, I wonder about popular culture that can put a videogame designer (and, lets be honest, anyone who knows the ins and outs of videogame production can appreciate that Miyamoto probably has very little to do with hands-on game design these days.) in the top 5 most influential people in the world.

Then again, seeing a Korean pop star and a US TV talk show host above him makes it seem not so bad.

It’s remarkably sad that a politician barely makes it into the top 5 list.

I love games, the culture and the industry. But there’s a sad and deep lack of perspective going on out there.

Also, if any game designer deserves the honours it’s Jeff Minter – at least he still makes his games.

3. Zumi

Colbert ftw!!

Methinks he had something to do with this. I’ve not watched the show for last week, but he has an ongoing “rivalry” with Rain, so I guess he got his fans to vote for him. :) Like when everyone voted for a bridge in Budapest to be named The Stephen Colbert Bridge.

4. Whizzo

I maybe mistaken but I thought in the past Time was actually a fairly sensible journal.

Of course their “Person of the Year” a while ago being “You” was probably a fair indication of how the mighty have fallen.

5. bloke

Colbert + lots.

Even more than Jon Stewart.