BBC announces iPlayer for Wii

Wednesday, 9th April 2008 14:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bbclogo.jpg

The BBC’s iPlayer video service will soon be available through Wii. An early version of the service starts on the console today, but software updates are promised as time goes one.

“The BBC’s catch-up TV service can now be accessed on an increasing number of different platforms – from the web and portable devices to gaming consoles,” said the BBC’s Erik Huggers, announcing the deal in a speech at the MipTV-Milia conference in Cannes.

iPlayer allows viewers to see BBC programming on demand. Shows are stored for a certain period of time after being aired on television.

iPlayer on Wii is still being tested, and the corporation expects to release more versions in late 2008. You can only access it – via Wii’s internet channel – if you live in the UK.

The BBC said a message would be sent to Wii owners to alert them to its availability.

1. Blerk

Now all they need is some programmes that are actually worth watching! Bwah ha ha!

2. grandmaster

Wii is by far the most popular ‘set top box’ style games machine I’ve seen in non-enthusiast homes and this just seems like a perfect fit.

Bravo BBC.

Xbox Live video – HD or not – suddenly doesn’t seem quite as good.

3. Tonka

But this is what MS wanted. It’s not fair. Bootendo… Nintenboo Nintenmonygrabbingwhoredo

4. TJ

This is damn fine news. Shame you won’t be able to download to keep like you can on PC.

5. AMG

Songs of Praise FTMFW, yo

6. Blerk

/insert smart-arse CBeebies joke here

7. morriss

You can already watch iplayer content on your 360 Tonka. :)

8. Shatner

So, we can watch videos of content from the BBC on the Wii.

What I still find laughable is that the video footage of the Virtual Console games won’t play on the Wii browser.

I’m bored with Nintendo’s ‘new’ approach. Non-games for my DS. Non-games for my Wii. I’m not a soccer-mom. :(

9. Killerbee

This is a great move. I’ve never really felt inspired to try out the iPlayer yet, mainly because I don’t often feel the desire to sit in front of my PC to watch TV. since my Wii is already hooked up to the telly and the internet, this will actually inspire me to give it a whirl.

Top Gear repeats FTW!