Tripwire Interactive and Antimatter Games have released a new update for Rising Storm 2: Vietnam.
The Rising Storm 2: Vietnam – Rearmed and Remastered update, also known as update 12, has been released. To celebrate Tripwire and Antimatter are making the game free to play until the middle of next week.
This update includes a nice list of performance improvements, audio occlusion, new weapons for the North Vietnamese forces, new maps, new heads and cinematics for the conclusion of a campaign.
Notes for Update 12 are below, and the free week kicks off around 1pm EST today and runs through Wednesday, November 21 at 10am PST, 1pm EST, 6pm UK.
During this time, new players can save 67% off Rising Storm 2: Vietnam and 50% off all DLC through Steam.
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Rearmed and Remastered update notes
New weapons for North Vietnamese
- MP40 – the famous German sub-machine gun from WW2, issued to the NLF from Soviet stockpiles of captured weapons.
200-round belt for the RPD – this new variant will be selectable from the Role Select menu.
- Deployable DShK – players on the North Vietnamese team will be able to pick up a DShK 12.7mm heavy machine-gun from a resupply point, carry it to a new location and deploy it wherever they need it.
- Fougasse mine – a new trap for the Northern Sappers to use, this is basically a large improvised explosive device, detonated unwary Southern players standing on a pressure plate
New weapon for Southern forces
- The M2 Browning .50-caliber heavy machine gun will appear as a static support weapon in the new maps.
- A considerable number of performance improvements have been implemented for this update, to player characters, particle effects, level optimizations, changes to the Instanced Rendering system, a new set of weapon LODs and a set of changes to textures, with an emphasis on improving how texture streaming is handled.
This update marks the release of two ‘remasters’ of fan-favorite Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm maps, taking them from their original settings and into the war-torn jungles of Vietnam:
- Mekong (remastered from “Hanto”) – the NLF, fighting their way through the jungle to a US Marine Corps base.
- Dong Ha (remastered from “Guadalcanal”) – a night-time assault by the NLF, through the jungle, against the outskirts of an airbase defended by the US Army.
- Implemented a new system where gunshots and other in-game sounds are appropriately affected by their environment. This does not apply to all sounds in the game, but will affect any sound loud enough to be heard through walls, and be muffled/occluded by obstacles such as buildings or terrain.
Six new heads
- Three new heads for North Vietnamese
- Three new heads for US Army and Marine Corps (Hispanic, Native American, Asian).
- Cinematics for the conclusion of a campaign
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam has seen over 20 updates of various sizes, 12 new maps, 16 new weapons, and over 250 million confirmed kills since its May 27 release.