UK charts: Max Payne 3 pips Diablo 3 to number one

By Johnny Cullen, Monday, 21 May 2012 09:28 GMT

Max Payne 3 has beaten Diablo III to the number one spot in this week’s UK charts.

The gap between the two games was by 8,000 units.

It’s the first number one for the Payne series, making a return eight-and-a-half years after the Remedy-developed Max Payne 2, with MP3 outselling MP2 by a figure of 10-1. It’s also the biggest launch of this year so far, beating Mass Effect 3.

On a platform breakdown, a majority of sales for Max went to Xbox 360 at 58%, while the remaining 42% are on PS3. The PC version releases next Friday in the UK.

The Blizzard RPG will have to settle for second behind the Rockstar shooter, despite becoming the 12th biggest PC launch in the UK ever and selling more than the past two Football Manager games.

Last week’s number one Sniper Elite V2 falls to four behind FIFA Street, while FIFA 12 rounds off the top five.

Full top ten for the week ending May 19 is below. Last week’s data is here.

  • 1 – Max Payne 3
  • 2 – Diablo III
  • 3 – FIFA Street
  • 4 – Sniper Elite V2
  • 5 – FIFA 12
  • 6 – Prototype 2
  • 7 – Modern Warfare 3
  • 8 – Battlefield 3
  • 9 – Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
  • 10 – Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.



Diablo 3

Diablo III

  • Diablo 3 players earning Double XP this weekend

    Diablo 3 players an participate in a Double XP event this weekend, which should help them prepare for Reaper of Souls’ launch on Tuesday, March 25. The experience bonus is set to 100%, up from the 50% Blizzard set earlier this month. The 100% Bonus XP period ends on Monday, March 24 at 12:01 am […]

  • Diablo 3 players on PC and Mac getting 50% extra XP starting today

    Diablo 3 players can bask in some extra XP for a limited time on PC and Mac starting today. Players will net 50% extra experience points in celebration of the Reaper of Souls expansion, which lands at the end of the month. This will also help out greatly with the Paragon Leveling System which recently […]

Max Payne 3