The population of Japan is about 127 million, which after years of sales charts has me convinced that every citizen owns seventeen consoles each. The latest hardware figures are in and show the humble PSP still riding high – could Monsters and their Hunters have anything to do with it, I wonder?
The Wii and PS3 are nearly neck-and-neck, trailing the PSP by about 20 thousand units, while Nintendo’s multiple-iteration policy stands them in good stead, as the combined sales of all DS models actually nets them second place with only a few hundred units less than the PSP.
See the full charts for yourself below, courtesy of Joystiq. The second figure shows the amount by which the figure has increased or decreased, which is then expressed as a percentage.
- PSP: 99,703 [DOWN] 77,988 (43.89%)
- Wii: 77,307 [DOWN] 54,454 (41.33%)
- PS3: 76,422 [UP] 12,194 (18.99%)
- DSi: 48,039 [DOWN] 45,425 (48.60%)
- DSi LL: 47,798 [DOWN] 44,531 (48.23%)
- PSP Go: 9,083 [UP] 3,703 (68.83%)
- DS Lite: 3,741 [DOWN] 2,049 (35.39%)
- Xbox 360: 3,708 [DOWN] 1,590 (30.01%)
- PS2: 2,480 [DOWN] 124 (4.76%)