Neversoft goes out in style with huge knives and burning eyeballs

Friday, 11th July 2014 06:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero developer Neversoft shut up shop today, but it did so in high style.

Neversoft is being folded into Infinity Ward to create one huge mega-studio, which will presumably be focused on the Call of Duty franchise for the immediate future.

Today was the team’s last day as a discrete unit, and it farewelled its old name in style. First, the ritual burning of the eye in its distinctive logo:

Then, gifts – each staffer received an enormous bowie knife.

Vale, Neversoft! Thank you for many years of great fun.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. TheWulf

I’ll always remember them for the really, really great PSone Spider-Man game. Because, damn, few people have gotten things quite that right.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Mortal Mad Matt

That PSone Spider-Man game was good but I’ll remember them for their first Tony Hawk games which were incredible.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Reddpayn

Both the ps1 spiderman and the tonyhawk on ps1 were great.

#3 6 months ago
  4. CycloneFox

The early Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series will always have a place in my heart.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Matt Martin

And Apocalypse. Those guys ruled.

#5 6 months ago
  6. psxman

Y’all talking about their Spider-man game, I played it a couple of months ago and it totally still holds up.

Fond memories of What If… mode and selecting Kid Mode again and again for the different voices.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Obernox

I didn’t know they did that fantastic Spider-Man game! and yeah, i’ll miss their Tony Hawks even though the last good Tony Hawk was Project 8.

#7 6 months ago
  8. dontbescaredhomie92

These were my favourite developer growing up, very sad indeed.

#8 6 months ago
  9. The_Red

RIP Neversoft.
    Activision killed you so slowly that I didn’t even notice. Next on death row are Infinity Ward (Already a corpse) and High Moon (If not already killed).

#9 6 months ago
  10. Deepo

Hooray for the COD-industrial complex. Sad day.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Matt Martin

I got a chance to write about what Neversoft meant to me here: http://www.vg247.com/2014/07/11/farewell-neversoft-i-never-met-a-mfer-quite-like-you/

#11 6 months ago
  12. gameoholic007

They will be sadly missed.

#12 6 months ago
  13. TD_Monstrous69

Oh man, it’s sad to see them go, and I like many loved them back in the PS1 days. Here’s hoping some of that same experience and enthusiasm rubs off on Infinity Ward.

#13 5 months ago