Would you play another Aliens vs Predator game?

Friday, 11th July 2014 03:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Aliens vs Predator developer Rebellion has hinted it might make a return to the classic series.

aliens_vs_predator

Aliens vs Predator (hereafter AvP) spawned many games and Rebellion was behind a couple of the best-received examples.

Speaking to DSOGaming, Rebellion programming head Kevin Floyer-Lea said a new entry in the series was not out of the question.

“Here at Rebellion we’ve got a particularly strong attachment to the AvP universe, so it could happen,” he said.

“We had a lot of fun playing with people’s minds on the original game by randomising spawn positions so what was a health pack turned out to be an Alien on your next play through. So personally I’d love to see an AvP game with fully procedurally generated levels, where you literally never know what’s around the next corner.”

Rebellion developed 1999 release Aliens versus Predator, with Monolith producing the direct sequel Aliens vs Predators 2 in 2001. The next time Rebellion returned to the series, with the 2010 Aliens vs. Predator, its efforts were less well-received. Possibly because at this point the confusion caused by the entire franchise’s naming conventions has driven everyone bonkers.

A new AvP might bring some joy to Rebellion fans at a time when the company is not winning any public relations prizes. Following a kerfuffle over cancelled on-sold Steam keys, it’s now caught up in a trademark dispute with Ironclad Games over Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. PCGamer has the details if you’re keen.

Sega holds the rights to the Alien franchise and associated properties. Its latest effort is the Creative Assembly’s Alien: Isolation, which we’re all hoping will be significantly better than its last release, Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Thanks, Blue’s News.

1. TheGrayWolff

They made a pretty damn fun multi-player for AvP2010, so lets hope they do well again.

#1 1 month ago
  2. Untold stories

I’ll be up for it if they do it.

#2 1 month ago
  3. Savan

I’d definitely be up for it, I love AVP2010′s multiplayer, it was fantastic.

#3 1 month ago
  4. Mortal Mad Matt

I also enjoyed AvP 2010′s multiplayer, so I would definitely be on board for a sequel. That game could have been amazing with a little more polish.

#4 1 month ago
  5. TheWulf

I don’t know. I mean, they haven’t topped their original Alien vs Predator game, yet, and how old is that, now? It was released in, what, ’00? There were a lot of fun mods and maps for that game, and I had a blast doing alien parkour in some of them. I just don’t think that they’d be able to recapture that, because the development these days isn’t as open, we wouldn’t be able to tinker with the end results so much.

That’s why the ’10 version never took off, in my opinion, because it was too locked down. Games of the ’90s to the early ’00s were very modifiable and they could be changed in big, important ways. Plus you could just have a blast with what they were. It’s funny, but I dug both Terraria and Starbound for being similar to that in a lot of ways.

Terraria had people making maps which you could goof around in. I loved the platforming obstacle courses people made. And then you have mods for Starbound, mods which actually add entirely new dungeon systems, which also create wild obstacle courses. The thing is is that modders are willing to go further and do more fun, less safe things than actual developers.

So with Terraria and Starbound alike, they both would have been boring without the unofficial content. I think this is why I find a lot of games boring, these days, because back in the golden era of gaming (the ’90s and early ’00s), even if a game was made to be safe, modderes could tear it apart and make it into some crazy thing that was actually fun to play.

It’s interesting though because the Starbound developers have actually been learning from the best mods. Someone created magrails (gods I love magrails) and then they included that as part of the game, officially. Someone created a Pocket Monsters-like system for capturing and taming creatures, and they included that, too.

But yeah, platforming is even more fun if you have ziplines, so I’m so glad that the magrails became more of an official part of things. I love creating nutty obstacle courses in Starbound.

I can’t recall how many times I’ve heard ‘you bastard, you magnificent bastard‘ by friends when they’ve tested my platforming & obstacle courses. It’s just something I love.

Funnily enough, I love much the same thing about Overgrowth.

But I wouldn’t be able to make/enjoy such things with a new AvsP because they wouldn’t put map creation at the forefront. And that’s the mistake they keep making. They need to get the base mechanics right, then they need to make sure that they have powerful tools for players to make their own playgrounds in.

The thing is is that that’s what was good about AvsP ’00. The multiplayer was neat, the mechanics were great, and the map creation tools were powerful. That’s where they need to go again if they want to do it right.

I might even be tempted to say to just drop the single player campaigns entirely, because aside from the xeno one, I never found them to be that fun. The marine one was just bog-standard man-shooty, the Predator was average stealth with bog-standard man-shooty, and then the alien was… uh, insane stealth melee stuffs. But yeah.

In fact, just make it a game about xenomorphs. :P

On a more genuine note, though… I don’t know that I would, because ’00 was the best it’s going to get, and there’s no reason to keep revisiting something to improve upon perfection.

#5 1 month ago
  6. LaCr0

We played a lot of AVP2. It was one of the best MP games out there at the time. But AVP 2010… man it was my Deus Ex 2. Felt like a shitty console port. Auto aim all over the place, commando melee, insta kill melee, the new sounds were rubbish, The single player campaign was boring as hell. You can’t find the famous scary marine campaign from AVP2 here. IT’s just a big big dissapointment for me and for my friends.
    Monolith did a great job there and they’ve made the BEST Alien game ever.

#6 1 month ago
  7. nollie4545

Agree with Wulf, they still haven’t managed to TOP AVP gold yet. All subsequent games have been utter carp.

I cannot for the life of me understand how they get it so wrong. All they need to do is remake AVP Gold with modern graphics. Simple.

#7 1 month ago