Twice as many people play Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on Steam than Ghosts

Friday, 4th July 2014 16:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 appears to be getting double the amount of players on Steam than Activision’s latest entry Ghosts.

Call_duty_black_ops_2_art_cover

PCGamesN reports that at its peak, 9,040 Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 players had the game client running today, which is almost double the Ghosts peak of 4,574.

By comparison, the site found that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and 3 pulled in 4,781 and 6,253 players respectively. Both are seeing higher player volume than Ghosts.

It’s not all that surprising after my Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer review. At the time I said that the game had slipped back under the shadow of Black Ops 2 which, in my opinion, is far superior to Infinity Ward’s latest effort.

People call me crazy but I think it’s the best entry to date. Opinions and all that…

What’s your take on the quality of Ghosts? Are you surprised by this news? Let us know below.

1. OrbitMonkey

Its the dogs. The insta-death on core is bad enough, but those fucking canine ninja death machines leaping out of the shadows really piss me off :(

And ranking up all those individual soldiers? Pain in the balls. Plus it completely misses the point gamers only want ONE avatar to bond with…

Ghosts really pisses me off.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Reddpayn

Ghosts was ok. Bo2 has the the best mp imo cause the maps are the best and the futuristic gadgets and weapons overally offer variety to the gameplay. Shame that the zombie map was bad :( compared to the awsome maps of the bo1

#2 3 months ago
  3. polygem

The original blops and cod 4…my favourite cod games.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Hcw87

Because Ghosts is shit, and so is every Modern Warfare game except the first.

Black Ops 1 was far superior to any other CoD except the first MW. BO2 was OK, but nowhere near as good as the first.

#4 3 months ago
  5. stretch215

I agree, ghosts sucks ass. It was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me with cod. I might even skip this new one….we’ll see

#5 3 months ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

I have to agree, Black Ops 2 was pretty awesome. I can’t speak for Ghosts as I never picked it up but I think CoD4 and BO2 are probably the best so far.

#6 3 months ago
  7. silkvg247

Ghosts is shit. BLOPS2 was my first COD game and made me think the series was awesome. Until I tried Ghosts.

#7 3 months ago
  8. TheWulf

Regarding #1′s comment.

I feel there’s a certain poetic justice, here. For once, the animals aren’t just there to satisfy power fantasies, they can actually take you down. It’s an interesting facet of extroverted power fantasies — they’re cowardly. If it poses no real threat, they’re happy, but if it has an equal (or greater) chance of taking the player down? Well, that’s just not on.

I’m also reminded of the dragons from Skyrim, which were so easy for anyone to kill, even at a low level with useless equipment.

Marketers know what their respective demographics want, that’s for sure.

Well, except in the case of Ghosts, where they actually made a non-human NPC present a level of threat that was alien to them.

I just find that so interesting. It explains a lot about modern gaming trends.

#8 3 months ago
  9. OrbitMonkey

^ Nope. Its the bad balance that irritates. And the Dragons of Skyrim are on the opposite side of the same fudged gameplay coin.

But hey, you keep waxing lyrical about those extroverted power fantasists you see everywhere.

We all know you spent all your time on the Mass Effect MP as a biotic vanguard, cursing noobs for getting in the way ;)

#9 3 months ago
  10. stretch215

I think wulfie here has the terms “introvert” and “pussy” confused.

#10 3 months ago
  11. redgorilla23

Couldn’t have anything to do with the fact that BLOPS2 has been 50% (29.99) off 5 times and Ghosts has only been twice. So the install base makes this pretty obvious. *Plus a years time* But all that aside the Black Ops series is in a whole different class. People will plead there cases but every year it’s always the same comparisons. No more COD vs Battlefield. It’s COD vs COD

#11 3 months ago