Microsoft thinks you will still buy a Kinect for your standalone Xbox One

Tuesday, 24th June 2014 12:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One is being sold without Kinect, but Microsoft’s game boss Phil Spencer reckons you’ll still buy one eventually.

kinect_for_windows_2_1

It follows Scott Rohde, head of Sony Worldwide Studios America, revealing that the PS4 team actually danced once it heard that Xbox One would be launching at $100 more than Sony’s console, thanks to the costly inclusion of Kinect.

Now, speaking with GI.biz, Microsoft’s Phil Spencer said of Kinect, “We see millions and millions of people using Kinect today. We’ve had over a billion voice commands used.

“The use of Kinect in people’s homes is incredibly high. And because people are continuing to use it, it’s an area we’re going to continue to invest, in terms of making the experience better. And I think that makes building games in that environment even better.

“Consumers love the device; they love the experience. They’ll buy it. They’ll either buy it at launch when they buy their console, or they’ll be able to buy it after the $399 console; they’ll pick it up and add it on later. And we’ll continue to make sure that experience is great.”

Will you buy Kinect for your standalone Xbox One? Let us know below.

Via Gamespot.

1. onlineatron

probably not gonna buy an xbox one anytime soon but when i get round to it i’ll buy it with kinect. no matter what games are there for kinect, it’s still a part of the ux. why would you buy an incomplete console?

#1 1 month ago
  2. fengato

Arrogance. I don’t want the spycam – it’s not about the $$.

#2 1 month ago
  3. OrbitMonkey

As agaming device the kinnect has less 3rd party support than the WiiU.

Strip it back, eat that last piece of humble pie & take the hint MS.

#3 1 month ago
  4. fengato

Hoping they don’t try and coerce people into it by locking content to Kinect functionality. They did this with Kinect on 360 – eg in Halo Anniversary you had to have a Kinect hooked up in order to view an in-game database containing stats and interactive 3D model for the characters and vehicles in the game. Annoying. Stop telling us we want it, Phil. Many of us clearly don’t.

#4 1 month ago
  5. ENGCLM

I chose the PS4 over the Xbox One but will get one of each once the content is there, price point played aparr but for me, the lack of motion control emphasis on the interface was one of the main reasons for my purchase.

When I get round to owning an Xbox One I’ll get it with the Kinect for the full experience but it wouldn’t surprise me if eventually the Xbox One dashboard changed again with less Kinect emphasis.

#5 1 month ago
  6. Legendaryboss

When all is said and done, no more than 30% will own Kinect with Their Xbox One. Based on the adoption rate of its predecessor.

#6 1 month ago
  7. bradk825

It all depends if they can make an app for it that makes people say “I have to have that.”

I wouldn’t want to be without my Kinect, because I’ve used it and I like it. Kinect Sports Rivals is a tonne of fun, and I love making gameplay videos with such ease with no extra equipment. That said, the available apps need to be tried before you can decide you enjoy them, and they are just not enticing people right now. They need to make that “Holy smokes I’ll die if I can’t play that” game before people will pony up the money for Kinect.

#7 1 month ago
  8. alimokrane

@fengato

I hate to break it to you dude but every freaking device you buy these days is a spy device. from your smartphone to your soon-to-be smart-car and smart-home.

#8 1 month ago
  9. bradk825

@alimokrane True. I guarantee they are collecting way less info from you using your Kinect than is collected because you spent 5 minutes on the internet just now.

#9 1 month ago
  10. majormayhem70

I enjoy the features that having the Kinect enables me to do. I don’t know about Europe or any place else, but the commercials in North America demonstrates these features quite well. I think the price drop of the X1 due to dropping the Kinect will help sales, but a price drop of the Kinect will also tempt those that weren’t early adopters of the X1 to reconsider and purchase one later. I’d give the adoption percentage of the Kinect higher than Sony’s ps4 camera adoption percentage. Most people I know that use the Kinect stay with the Kinect. It does have a learning curve, but once you have it down you actually appreciate the device for what it does.

#10 1 month ago
  11. Doppleganger

Just buy the paper weight PS4 if you don’t want a kinect. If you don’t use the console to its full potential and only play video games just get a PS4 – which is lacking in comparison, so I don’t even see the point.
    Love how misinformed people are and must have everything 1080p even there 32″ tv’s and sit 10 feet away from it. Drives me nuts.

#11 1 month ago
  12. ddtd

If I didn’t get mine at launch if be all over the $399 sku.

Until they justify Kinect with a must have game that couldn’t be done with a controller, they won’t be able to convince a majority of gamers that they need to have one.

#12 1 month ago