You’ll soon be paying an extra £5 to use Sky Go on your console

Monday, 23rd June 2014 16:05 GMT By Sherif Saed

Sky Go, Sky TV’s app on Xbox 360 -soon on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4- that allows you to watch Sky programmes, will soon ask you to upgrade to Sky Go Extra, costing £5 a month, in order to get the same service you’re getting now.

Sky go

Taking effect on July 29, this new change will require all customers, existing and future, to upgrade to a Sky Go Extra subscription if they want to continue watching content on their Xbox 360 -soon on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

Sky told Eurogamer that it will be writing to affected customers to update them and will be making further “introductory offers” starting at £2.50 a month and up to £5. Sky Go Extra will cover streaming to up to four devices, with the ability to watch offline. It’s already included in your Multiscreen subscription.

“Sky Go and Sky Go Extra mean our customers can watch their favourite Sky content on a broad range of devices, wherever they are. We will be making some changes to the way in which console users access Sky Go, and we will be writing to any customers who this affects over the coming weeks to update them,” said a Sky spokesperson.

The Sky forums are already filled with disgruntled customers following the news. What do you think of the move?

1. gomersoul

Motherfuckers. And this is justified how exactly?

#1 4 months ago
  2. kingofscotland

I have to say I was surprised when Sky Go was announced for PS3/PS4 as I thought they would solely focus on Mobile devices as I think they realised that Sky Go on Xbox is losing them a fair amount of Multi screen subscriptions.

So now the move to PS3/4 makes sense that they are ensuring you either already have multiscreen or pay the extra £5 for Sky Go Extra.

If thats what it took to bring it to other consoles then I’m all for it

#2 4 months ago
  3. onlineatron

sky go is butt anyway. sky altogether, actually. antiquated, dying form of consuming media. fuck it

#3 4 months ago
  4. ENGCLM

Bit of a lose / lose here for Sky.

Their 360 app certainly cut into their own target market, not only people not upgrading to multiroom but also non-subscribers getting access.

Charging customers extra is always a rough decision, one that will certainly mean I’ll not use this app considering I barely use it as it is and I’ve got a capable tablet but one thats still okay value if you get use out of it.

Maybe regretting they didn’t start with a paywall now.

#4 4 months ago
  5. pukem0n

since the console is on the same TV as the sky receiver, this really is not that big of an issue.
    at least they ensure nobody uses it anymore on consoles ^^

#5 4 months ago
  6. Dimaco

No I won’t! ;-P

#6 4 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Eh. I prefer Netflix and the Internet in general for watching things. I’m not one for TV or TV-like mediums, I don’t find them at all engaging. I just want to sit down and choose what I’d like to watch — I find being spoonfed content to be creepy and it makes me uneasy, I think that’s something that does much to dull the mind.

This is also why I prefer services like Pandora over radio stations. I want the choice.

#7 4 months ago
  8. DiodeX

So, you can get the Sky Go app (or could) on the Xbox without having a Sky Sub and watch everything I pay for for free?. It may suck but why should people get free TV through that app?
    I am right in thinking that you can still use Sky Go on mobile devices without extra cost? I never used it anyway so I’ve lost nothing. They should have charged non subscribers to use it instead of a blanket “extra”

#8 4 months ago
  9. Tormenter

There’s money to be made, OF COURSE you are going to have to start paying for the service.. and more charges from different companys will be incoming.

Kinda dumb not to consider this an absolutely carved in stone, certainty…

YOU LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE MONEY IS GOD.

#9 4 months ago