Why is Sniper Elite 3′s day-one Xbox One patch 10GB?

Monday, 23rd June 2014 12:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Sniper Elite 3 is out this week on various formats, but the Xbox One edition will come with a hefty 10GB patch on day one. Developer Rebellion has explained what it’s all about.

sniper_elite_3_day_one_patch

It follows this video of Sniper Elite 3′s first 15 minutes. Check it out.

The above image was taken by Eurogamer, which discovered that Sniper Elite 3′s mandatory install was originally planned to be 21GB in size, but the 10GB day-one patch brings the full install size down to 19GB. That’s still quite large however.

Explaining the patch size, Rebellion stated, “The main part of the update is to sync data between the game’s retail discs and the Xbox Live digital download edition of the game. In the several weeks between sending the code off to manufacture and release, rather than sit around or take a break, we’ve continued to work on the game, making improvements and optimisations.

“We’ve also begun work on multiplayer DLC and a small part of this update is to introduce a compatibility pack. This is standard for any game that adds DLC – it’s just to make sure everyone can have the same multiplayer experience whether they own DLC or not.”

10GB is large for a day-one patch, and understandably, gamers on lower speed lines might not respond too well to the news. Rebellion addressed this in its statement as well.

“While we understand gamers will be frustrated at the wait, the good news is that the update will actually reduce the size of the game’s total install footprint on their hard drive, and reduce the size of future patches significantly,” the team went on.

“It’s part of this ongoing optimisation process that’s enabled Sniper Elite 3 to perform well at a native 1080p on both Xbox One and PS4. We appreciate everyone’s patience and we firmly believe Sniper Elite 3 will be worth the wait!”

Will you be picking up Sniper Elite 3 on June 27? Let us know below.

1. Doppleganger

I buy digital games only on my xbone so this doesn’t effect me. I’m excited to pick up this game !

#1 5 months ago
  2. Xbone

In which universe a 10gb day1 patch is acceptable?

#2 5 months ago
  3. OrbitMonkey

They took the time & effort to optimise the performance of the Xbox One version?

Lets give them some shit!

Personally I think this is good news, shiws they care y’know? :)

#3 5 months ago
  4. pukem0n

well, Wolfenstein had around 7GB and Dead Rising 3, dont get me startet. Just downloaded a 4,4GB patch yesterday for it.

Sadly, huge patches become the standard in the games industry.

just out of curiosity: are patches the same size on PS4?

#4 5 months ago
  5. dontbescaredhomie92

@2 I couldn’t care less with 60mb fibre, I’ll make some food and when I come back it will be waiting for me.
    It’s not their fault for the state of people’s connections and people will find a way to bitch and moan about games and patches eating up their precious hard drive space regardless of the size.

#5 5 months ago
  6. Opalauge

@Xbone

I plaed Battlefield 4 and was pretty annoyed…so i switched to my 360 an reinstalled the Battlefield 3 Multiplayer Disc (7.3 GB)…copatibility pack, patches and other shit came around with about 8.2 GB of pure Update-Fun. :D I’ve given up on the idea of buying a complete game. :)

#6 5 months ago
  7. LovesALLformats

June 27th? My GameStop (USA) says July 1st? Anybody know if this is true?

#7 5 months ago
  8. bobnice

@LovesALLformats

I believe july 1st is the US release date. UK gets it a bit earlier.

#8 5 months ago
  9. sync_nine

Battlefield 4 patches (not DLC packs) on my ps4 have been around 1.2 -1.3 GBs

#9 5 months ago
  10. djjoejoe

I wonder if I’ll have to download the patch if I buy it digitally, in a perfect world they would update that download on day one for me so I’d be downloading the patched game. Though I’ll probably wanna download it the instant it becomes available and maybe the patch won’t be merged with that version until later that day maybe. who knows :)

#10 5 months ago
  11. dkpunk

I’m curious why they don’t list the ps4 day one patch size.

#11 5 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

@dkpunk They are afraid of the patch size wars.

#12 5 months ago
  13. majormayhem70

Let’s face it, games are going to keep getting bigger. I’m about to buy a Seagate 4TB external to remedy this.

“Xbox, go to Sniper Elite 3.”

#13 5 months ago
  14. DarkElfa

I may grab this one on the 7 seas.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Dog4life

Im curious to try out Sniper Elite 3 in 3d :)

waiting for my ps4 copy of the game

#15 5 months ago
  16. Raynor

10GB is too much for a 21 GB game whether day one or not.

#16 5 months ago