That E3 footage of Legend of Zelda Wii U was all in-game

Monday, 16th June 2014 16:34 GMT By Sherif Saed

The reveal of the Legend of Zelda Wii U at E3 last week was one of the show’s highlights to many. Producer Eiji Aonuma has now confirmed that the footage released last week as part of Nintendo’s E3 digital event, was all in-game.

the_legend_of_zelda_wii_u_4

If you missed the reveal, you can head through the link to watch this beauty running on the Wii U. The game was confirmed to be open world, with a 2015 release window.

Now, producer Eiji Aonuma took the Miiverse to confirm to fans wondering if the footage was indeed in-game or pre-rendered.

“Many people from the media kept asking me if the footage from the new Zelda game for Wii U is just a promotional movie, but that really is actual gameplay on Wii U. Also, I wasn’t kidding about how you will be able to reach the mountains that appear in the distance if you should choose to!,” he said.

Eiji Aonuma also said last week that he hopes to change how puzzles are done in the game.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. fearmonkey

Funny how Skyrim has changed the landscape out there, Morrowind and Oblivion inspired a few, but now even Zelda is having the “you see those mountains in the distance, you can go there” gameplay. I’m personally glad to see it, I love exploration in games.

#1 6 months ago
  2. bardo

“…but that really is actual gameplay on Wii U” — Just like Watchdogs footage at E3 2013 was totally actual gameplay right? They didn’t dumb down the graphics at all for release…

#2 6 months ago
  3. TommiK

The link ain’t working.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Gamoc

Then he needs to get off his arse and save Hyrule.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Sherif Saed

@TommiK All links are working.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

@Sherif Saed Joke?

#6 6 months ago
  7. Sherif Saed

@Legendaryboss FUCKING GOD DAMN IT….

#7 6 months ago
  8. TheWulf

I think that’s a contradiction of terms. See, I think of exploration as actually striking out to some unknown place and seeing and experiencing things that few others have. Now, the Star Trek point & click adventures from way back when had a great sense of adventure, even though they never had an open world.

But an open world? It’s all terrain generated, and the only thing you’ll usually find is a basic dungeon or a lame collectible, and that was most of my experience with Skyrim. I mean, sure, there were a couple of nicely made ones, but they were either part of the main storyline (and meant to be experienced as part of it), or they were an aspect of one of the major sub-plots (such as the war).

There were hundreds of clone dungeons that all played and looked the same, with countless thousands of undead draugr zombies, and exactly the same mechanics seen in every other cloned place, but not much that’s actually unique. As a designer myself, I could even see where they’d been heavy-handed with the procedural generation, and copy & paste. It lead to some of the more irritating bugs in the game, probably due to it being the least tested.

So when you strip away all of the terrain generation, and all of the cloned content, there’s not much in Skyrim that’s actually unique. Now, it’s fair to compare this with the Zelda games, where there were a small number of temples, and you had a rough idea of where they all were, but when you encountered them you felt like you were really discovering something. When you entered them, you felt like you were heading into a place that no one had seen in centuries, or more.

Each of those temples had their own personality, and they were a true joy to explore. It was always the temples that were the star of the Zelda games, any of the open world stuff was always bland and boring by comparison. You play a Zelda game to go temple-diving, that was the way of things, because the temples were where the interesting things happen.

With Mass Effect, even though it didn’t have an open world, I felt like I was discovering places when I was landing on planets. In Uru, even though it didn’t have an open world, I felt that sensation of discovery every time I linked into a new area. The truth of exploration and discovery is to see something different every time you set out, that’s the crux of exploration. That’s something that the best sci-fi shows have always understood, from Doctor Who to Star Trek. If it’s an episode about exploration, they’re going to show you something weird. Perhaps something you couldn’t possibly expect, a work of imagination that leaves you feeling as though you’re wandering through the mind of the person who so artfully crafted it.

I can name so many games where I got that sense of exploration and discovery. But Skyrim wasn’t one of them. That was just, well, oh look… another cloned dungeon, the same as hundreds of others. How exciting! Let me just go and find my enthusiasm, which I feel I left in one of the tens of dungeons I explored before, just like this one. Where’s the exploration if you know exactly what you’re going to find? If you know exactly what shape it’s in? If you know (thanks to the scaling) exactly the kinds of rewards you’re going to get?

Maybe that’s exploration for extroverts, I don’t know. Maybe you like hiking over kilometres of terrain-generated land, all characterless and randomised, without the touch of an artist anywhere in sight. Maybe you’re excited every time you see that same kind of dungeon door. Maybe you feel joy to step into yet another overly familiar dungeon, to be confronted with exactly the same things, and maybe you feel satisfied when the outcome is identical every time.

I don’t.

I would happily have a small hub world with eight dungeons which are all drastically different from each other, which have different aesthetics, and contain vastly different and varied gameplay ideas and mechanics. That’s exploration, for me.

To me, to do the same thing over and over, just to amass a lame collection of digital items, linked to cheevos… that’s not exploration, that’s grinding. That was never supposed to be exploration. Exploration is that moment where you look upon something genuinely original, you take it all in, and then you take your first step into it, knowing that you’re in for something special. That’s what the Zelda games always awoke in me whenever I stepped into a temple.

If that’s gone, then they’ve lost me as a Zelda fan. (And I’m all ready lost to them as a Metroid fan.)

#8 6 months ago
  9. hitnrun

There’s no particular reason why Zelda’s “open world” need be like Skyrim. It could very easily be like Zelda. You know, The Legend Of.

Nintendo lost me as a Zelda fan well over a decade ago exactly because they replaced the open world with near-linear puzzle solving. This is the first Zelda game that has intrigued me since I cursorily watched a review of Wind Waker circa a decade ago.

The sales figures for the Zelda series would seem to agree with me. It’s not at all the system-seller it used to be, or that Mario still is. This despite the fact that Zelda’s primacy is still an article of faith among our crowd.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Doppleganger

Cel shade graphics… Yuk!

#10 6 months ago
  11. Digital Bamboo

Nintendo really ought to strive to share information like this more freely, I mean, this detail should have been mentioned–even with a bit of text–during the reveal. And not a word about the new Metroid games, until days after E3. There is such a thing as giving too much information, but Nintendo is like some kind of info-miser, reluctant to speak even when everyone is listening.

#11 6 months ago
  12. FBSKing

This will be great for Nintendo, this will definitely help to sell much more WiiU consoles, and I think it will be the game of the year when it is released, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTYM2I6Ut2g could be a good style for an intro of the game.

#12 6 months ago