E3 is a console show and not right for Windows PC

Friday, 13th June 2014 20:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox boss Phil Spencer said absence of Windows gaming talk at E3 2014 this year wasn’t an oversight because for Microsoft, the retail show is all about the console market.

No PC? Oh God. How could you?

Speaking with Polygon at the conference this week, Spencer said just because Microsoft chose not to discuss PC gaming doesn’t mean it’s not “critical” to the company’s success.

“I’m head of gaming at Microsoft,” Spencer said. “When we’re doing gaming strategy, gaming focus inside the company, that’s my job. I think in a lot of ways, you could argue gaming on Windows has never been more healthy in that the biggest of the big franchises, League of Legends, World of Tanks, those things dwarf a lot of what we’re doing in this console space in terms of users and monetization. They’re all on PC.

“E3′s a retail show. It’s a retail show, it’s a console show, so it didn’t really feel like the right place for us to talk about Windows, but Windows and gaming on Windows is critical to Microsoft’s success.

“For us, E3 is a console show and an Xbox show, and for us as Microsoft, Xbox is our gaming brand, and it’s the thing we can fill an arena like this, we get millions of people to watch us on TV and we show our games and it’s a brand that people care about.”

Spencer said eSports events might be better suited for PC game to be shown off, as many of the championships tend to focus on titles, such as the aforementioned.

“Well they do these huge world championship events and they fill up arenas,” he said. “I do think there could be a space there.”

Considering many games shown at E3 this year, and every year, are cross-platform titles one can kind of see his point. However, sometimes, it feels as those the format gets lost in the shuffle when the Big Three console manufactures seem to draw the biggest headlines.

1. IonizedPope

Sorry to point that out Steph, but Dave already posted this one!

Nevermind, keep up the good work! :)

#1 5 months ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@IonizedPope Well god damn. Thanks Poly for tweeting that like it was new. Well. I’ll leave it for a bit so everyone can pat me on the back for finally learning how to insert a gif. :D

#2 5 months ago
  3. Dragon

Of topic, but I am personally disappointed with the clickbait headlines that has increased in frequency, starting with “this is why..” , “care to guess…” etc. thing. Sure, such things are rampant in other video gaming outlets, done to provoke clicks rather than express information in condensed form (the main purpose of headlines), however proper and prim reporting and to the point stories and headlines without artificial flavours was what made VG247 a better news site for me.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@Dragon Yes, yes Ionized already pointed it out.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Dragon

Oh, by the way, as you would have guessed, my last comment was aimed at other editors, not you.
    I would hazard a guess and say you would not have reposted this thing if Daves headline wasn’t so nebulous.

#5 5 months ago
  6. IonizedPope

@Steph Well, those time zone differences are really kicking in there I guess, but you’re absolutely right, you really showed Dave who the true master of gifs is on this site! :D

#6 5 months ago
  7. Stephany Nunneley

@Dragon I just didn’t see it honestly. My eyes are to blame. I will delete this post in a bit after I quit laughing at my own sense of humor. :p

#7 5 months ago
  8. NocturnalB

Thanks Steph, I never caught the first article, wasn’t aware they viewed E3 this way.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Sylrissa

Well before this article goes poof, hopefully we’ll be seeing more of this newly acquired gif ability in future pieces from you Steph :p

#9 5 months ago
  10. Dragon

@Stephany Nunneley ,
    Yeah, saw that after I posted. Just wanted to vent a little on recent headlines which I didn’t like.

#10 5 months ago
  11. Stephany Nunneley

@Dragon Well, the post is getting traction so I will have to leave my bo-boo up. *embarrassing*

#11 5 months ago
  12. dtyk

Good post is good. Steph my favorite writer on VG247. Your writing is always good, and I’ll leave it at that. :D

#12 5 months ago
  13. Talkar

Nice .gif insertion Steph! :D

#13 5 months ago
  14. TheWulf

Poor Steph, I don’t see this as clickbait at all. The PC isn’t even remotely for E3.

#14 5 months ago
  15. Dragon

@Stephany Nunneley ,
    Something good for reading, courtesy VG247 -

:P

#15 5 months ago
  16. silkvg247

But modern consoles are PCs..

#16 5 months ago
  17. runbmp

I think PC kind has gone it’s own way for a long while with it’s own shows really.

Much like Quakecon, Blizzard, Dota Internationals, Evefest, ect.

It’s even more amusing however when it’s MS trying to talk about PC gaming’s relevance at E3 when it no longer has a role in PC gaming.

#17 5 months ago
  18. Reddpayn

Destiny: no splitscreen=no buy!!!!!!!!!! :(

#18 5 months ago
  19. Talkar

@runbmp To say that MS has no role in PC gaming anymore, is ludicrous.
    Obviously MS has a huge role to play, they supply the OS and the graphics API in the vast amount of cases.
    Now you could say they’ve been neglecting their role in the past couple of years, and i would have to agree.

#19 5 months ago
  20. Digital Bamboo

To me, E3 is about GAMES. I don’t play Xbox, never owned one, not because I have anything against Microsoft, but because I simply don’t have any more time to spare for another console.

I do, however, play games on PC, have for years–almost entirely on Windows–(& I don’t give a single shit about “esports”) so, personally, E3 would be the ideal venue for me to see PC exclusives, new tech–all that. I’m already tuned in watching what Sony & Nintendo are bringing to the table…

#20 5 months ago