7 pictures of Nintendo’s gaming boss being the happiest person at E3 2014

Friday, 13th June 2014 11:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo had a solid E3 2014, thanks in part to the reveal of The Legend of Zelda for Wii U. But as always, the show breeds pessimism from gamers unhappy with the way things are going. Well, we know one person who certainly wasn’t having a shit time in LA; boss of Nintendo EAD Shigeru Miyamoto.

I was a bit dismayed at the negative reaction from many readers over my trends of E3 2014 piece, in which I was massively optimistic about the show and the year ahead for gaming because, well, this is my hobby and I love it dearly.

So imagine how much my heart warmed when I saw Nintendo’s legend Miyamoto grinning like a lunatic at almost every opportunity; from photos on the show floor to beaming like the Cheshire Cat while being asked mundane questions during interviews.

He’s a man-child, and embodies that little part inside of every gamer that triggers whenever we absorb fun from play. This industry was created to entertain and create enjoyment; two things that get lost in all the format war bitching, the hostile barbs towards fans of rival franchises, and the groans coming from those who now seem incapable of deriving any pleasure from the format.

To those who still get a fuzzy feeling when a game gets under their skin, just know that I’m right there with you.

Now here’s Miyamoto getting right into the spirit of why these games exist in the first place:

project_giant_robot

Look at that smile. All he’s doing is tilting his Wii U GamePad while playing Project Giant Robot, a game he’s making and by all accounts should be sick of seeing by now as its creator. But nope, he’s just a big giggling toddler digging in the sandbox of life. Show us the way Miyamoto. Show us the way.

Miyamoto_4

We found this photo via Reddit user Hoof–hearted, and it’s just lovely. Miyamoto is basically Peter Pan, a boy who will never grow up, seen here playing games with a group of kids Nintendo invited to E3 2014. It’s a bit of a marketing ploy but who cares? It’s a nice gesture. And they met the guy who invented Mario Bros.

miyamoto_2

This image came from a Nintendo Treehouse clip. He’s smiling after being asked if there’s any strategies players on the E3 2014 show floor should know when playing Project Giant Robot. I’ve practically heard that same question asked by countless journalists at countless press events, and I’ve never seen a developer react with such glee. Look at him.

shigeru_miyamoto

Yeah it’s another PR photo opp posted on Reddit, but who cares, really? Those kids are loving it, Takashi Tezuka is loving it and Miyamoto is loving it. This is seriously nice to see. I guarantee that not every game developer looks this full of life and joy after a few days presenting at E3. It’s a gauntlet, and Miyamoto’s passed it with flying colours. Not bad for a 61-year-old.

Miyamoto

More smiles at the Treehouse showcase. I get that answering the same questions asked by about a thousand journalists in a matter of days must be soul-destroying for developers, but here’s Miyamoto, working it like a pro. He’s probably just been asked what he wants for lunch or something, but still, he laughs.

miyamoto_e3

“See that kids? I made that.” Somehow I get the idea that in Nintendo’s Kyoto headquarters, everyone works on the tenth floor and once the working day is done all the staff take the stairs or elevator down to the lobby. I like to think that Miyamoto has a slide from his office that exits above a bouncy castle filled with bunny rabbits. Also; all the rabbits are wearing mini Mario caps.

miyamoto_1

Well done Miyamoto. The pessimism that comes with this industry can often cut like a knife, but your enduring optimism and playful nature keeps remind us why we started playing games to begin with. Cheers mate.

1. Joe Musashi

Pics 2 and 6 are my favourites. Can you imagine if any of those kids become game developers in the future? That’s a moment right there.

You know, those of us who are enjoying gaming right now. We have it best. This era will pass, as all eras do.

The fathers of gaming, one day, will no longer be with us. Like classic musicians, authors, movie-makers, artists – people that defined and redefined the medium they worked in – for gaming, those people are (mostly) still with us. We are priviliged, truly.

We can meet these people, email them, talk to them. They’re more accessible today that pioneers of earlier mediums and artforms.

Appreciate what we have today. It’s incredible.

JM

#1 4 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@Joe Musashi I actually can’t say it better than that.

Kudos! :)

#2 4 months ago
  3. adge_uk

He just personifies everything that is great about computer games. His smiling face is a relief from the po-face misery of people bleating about on-line shooter load-out changes.

You can’t watch him in action and not feel inspired. He’s up there with the greatest artists in human history.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@adge_uk Agree 100% he looks like how I want to feel when talking about games or playing them, but oh man the pessimism you encounter in this job. Seriously. I’d shrug it all off – most times I do – but I’ma heart on sleeve kind of gentleman.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Bomba Luigi

Just having Fun is one of the most important Things about Gaming and Life in General. Miyamoto does understand that, he always did.

But its Nintendo in General. I mean, thats a Billion Dollar Global Company and two of there CEOS just did battle against each other in some Anime typ shit fashion streamed to the whole world.

#5 4 months ago
  6. dreamcastnews

I’m glad that Nintendo retain that element of ‘just having a bit of fun’ even if it’s just on face value, Miyamoto really is a creative tour-de-force, that giant robot game really has my interest since seeing it being played at E3.

I’ve noticed that the most smiley man from the East certainly goes to Yoshinori Ono though, the man doesn’t take much seriously which makes interviews with him hilarious.

#6 4 months ago
  7. TheWulf

He’s happy because he’s doing what he loves, which is the best possible thing anyone could do, and something that a lot of developers are forced not to do by their publishers. I think the only time I’ve ever seen Nintendo crank out something truly loveless and soulless was… well, anything that involves either women, because they’re so regressive in their views of women.

But Miyamoto is basically living his childhood, so of course he’s going to be happy. Sadly those kids are going to end up in shooter/action adventure grind houses if they do become developers, unless they actually learn Japanese, move to Japan, and work for Nintendo, that is. They won’t have much hope of doing anything other than that anywhere else, unless they’re planning on being indie. Even if they do get the odd chance to make a labour of love project, it’s not going to be often.

And Double Fine can’t hire the world, to turn it into one, giant development commune where everyone is making the things they want to make. (Even though I know you want to, Tim.)

So what I guess I’m saying is — more power to him. I’m actually happy for him.

It’s funny, talking about Tim Schafer… in a lot of ways, I feel he’s the Western Miyamoto, because he’s always so cheerful, happy, and funny. I really adore him. I’ve adored everything I’ve seen of him, and the transparency involved in Broken Age, and the 2Player Productions documentary was groundbreaking, we’ve never been involved in the development process like that, before, and I dug it.

I wish all developers were like Double Fine. Not sure how I got from talking about Miyamoto to Double Fine. I guess it’s because Double Fine is another developer that puts out what it wants to, rather than entirely soulless things. The only thing I was a bit iffy about was Brütal Legend, but after playing that, I could see that for someone on the team (probably Tim), this was a genuine passion project. It was made of love, like all of their other games. I can’t fault them, really.

Hack & Slash is also really rad. It’s a game made by nerds, for nerds. Spacebase DF-9 is a nerd making the space station simulator he’s always wanted to make, and so on, and so on. Same with Stacking, Costume Quest, et al. Everything they release is something that someone on that team very, very much wanted to make. It wasn’t demographic tested, it wasn’t about market focuses and what have you…

I guess another reason for it is that Double Fine is driven by a guy who seems genuinely introverted, and owns that company in full. I mean, I love that he has to seal himself in his room just to get away from people for a few hours each day just to recharge from brainstorming, and being around people makes him just a bit uneasy enough to need a Rubix cube to play with. But despite that uneasiness, he’s still a genuinely, honestly lovely person who can be a stand-up comedian at the drop of a hat.

Love ya, Tim.

I was supposed to be talking about Miyamoto-san, wasn’t I? Um. Well, the thing is is that Tim is the Western Miyamoto, so it was worth talking about him as a comparison point. And Miyamoto is his Japanese counterpart. Both of them are living their childhoods in regards to what they want to make. They’re not exactly the most profitable or successful, but they are memorable.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@dreamcastnews Here’s me with Ono, proving your theory absolutely correct :D Look at that man! – http://postimg.org/image/p0bpftcpt/

#8 4 months ago
  9. dreamcastnews

@Dave, haha! He’s so full of beans! Did you happen to catch the interview with him where he had a translator with him when being asked questions we was actually answering before translation and the interview guy was quizzing him as to if he actually needed the translator at all, really, really funny he was just laughing all the way through!

#9 4 months ago
  10. OrbitMonkey

Oh sure, Miyamoto gurning like a loon is ok, but Ballmer does one little dance…

#10 4 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@dreamcastnews I haven’t seen that one I’m afraid :D I’d love to see it if you have a link.

#11 4 months ago
  12. TheWulf

Same here. There are times when I am like that. I mean, if you sit me down with some of my favourite PS2 era games, I’ll have a smile on my face the entire time, and I’ll come away enthused with all of the great ideas and novelties on offer. I’ll just want to talk excitedly about the kinds of things I saw, and how each of them did something a little bit differently, bringing something new and fresh to the table.

Ratchet & Clank was like that. The first was different from Going Commando, Going Commando was different from Up Your Arsenal, Up Your Arsenal was different from Deadlocked, Deadlocked was different from Secret Agent Clank, and so on. Also… this because I don’t even. That’s what it was, honestly. It was a time when games were about…

IDEAS!

They weren’t about markets, or demographics, or pleasing the crowd. They were about people pitching ideas they were passionate about, and trying to get them made. It was the age that spawned everything from Psychonauts to Myst! The variety on offer was enough to make me weep happily, because it was the era of introverts, when one could actually tell games apart by just about anything!

This is what makes me angry at modern gaming. I look at something like Destiny and my attitude is, like, ‘oh, hey, that’s lifted from PSO, that’s lifted from Warframe,’ and so on. The thing is is that PSO was Japanese developed, Warframe was indie, and those titles do retain some of the form of novelty I was talking about, but they were just shamelessly lifted to become part of Destiny’s demographic, and that really gets under my skin.

Sunset Overdrive: Ratchet & Clank for stupid people. Why a douche-bro? Of all the characters you could have chosen from, why a douche-bro? I think back to things like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, the Abe series, Dungeon Keeper, everything LucasArts, Beyond Good & Evil, and so on… and I just have to question why a douche-bro? There were so many other types of characters you could have gone for! Even as a human character, he could have had depth, at least!

Then the zombies. Zombies are so endemic of the lack of variety we see today, because everything needs to have zombies in some form or another; just crazed, mindless creatures that run at the player. You don’t have a proper extroverted game unless you have zombies in it. I mean, honestly.

And of all the brilliantly unusual, colourful, strange, awe-inspiring, and memorable places we could go in video games, to all the places they could take us that would stick with us over the decades… why earth? What’s the attachment to this dull, dreary place? Games used to be a forum of imagination, and earth was very rarely the destination. If it was, it was earth in something like Toejam & Earl, which, suffice it to say, wasn’t earth at all.

I’m just sad that so little of that variety exists today. It’s a real loss. There was a time when I was happy to be a gamer, because the games had worth, they were all made by people who cared about them. And the shovelware to genuinely great games ratio was in the favour of those who played games. It was a time of shareware and demos, too, so you knew what to avoid. And a game had to sell based upon being a truly great game, rather than trailers, marketing campaigns, and coverage.

I just miss it. I really miss it. I miss the variety, the fun, the novelty, and how every game wasn’t designed to be so similar to every other game to fit the same group of people. A time when everything wasn’t a glorified kill-a-thon, when graphics whoring and fidelity weren’t so important, and new gameplay ideas or well told stories were more exciting.

Ever since the PS3/360 generation, graphics whoring has been at an all time high. It’s been ‘look at the fidelity of this set piece,’ rather than ‘isn’t this an engaging, beautiful story’ or ‘isn’t this an imaginative landscape’ or ‘isn’t this a novel idea’ or ‘isn’t this a completely new gameplay concept?’

Damn shame.

#12 4 months ago
  13. dreamcastnews

@Dave, around half way through this one I think, the interviewer really lacks any skill ti be honest but Ono just really doesn’t care!

#13 4 months ago
  14. game_on

He’s one ugly mother! Look at those children on the second picture. Standing next to him even they look handsome!

#14 4 months ago
  15. WonderMel

Even after all this time, and even though I don’t play that many Nintendo games anymore, nothing makes me more excited and happy than Shigsy at e3 :)

#15 4 months ago
  16. fastica

There is Phil Fish and then there is this happy and modest gaming legend.

#16 4 months ago