The Legend of Zelda WIi U is going open world in 2015, full trailer & screens here

Tuesday, 10th June 2014 17:22 GMT By Dave Cook

The Legend of Zelda is going open world on Wii U in 2015, ad we’ve got a new trailer and screens to share with you.

The Zelda section of Nintendo’s E3 2014 broadcast started with Eiji Aonuma discussing how his team conceptualised the new game by going right back to the elements that made the NES original so special.

He explained that boundless exploration is the key and that players will have freedom to tackle areas as they see fit. We then saw Link riding Epona through a forest before being attacked by a river beast.

The game doesn’t have a full title yet, but it’s out 2015.

For now though, check out these screens:

1. YoungZer0

*slow clap* took them long enough.

#1 2 months ago
  2. mistermogul

That looks fecking amazing.

#2 2 months ago
  3. BrokenSpline

I just bought a Wii U with the Mario Kart Bundle. I picked a fantastic time to do so. Lots of backlog of games to play which will keep me entertained until this bad boy is out.

All I wanted was a Zelda announcement out of this event and I got it.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Joe Musashi

I’m sure it’ll be great.

For me, I really enjoy the focus that the Zelda dungeons typically portray, and the way the overworld is crafted to make use of that same control on a grander scale. That’s where the games seem to excel.

Taking those reigns off, so to speak, is a bold move and it’ll be interesting to see where it goes. I don’t need Zelda: Skyrim though.

Another art-style change too. Admirable that they keep trying out new looks for such a high profile franchise.

JM

#4 2 months ago
  5. polygem

i want a link gay romance game

#5 2 months ago
  6. POOhead

Im with joe on this, the newest zelda on 3ds was ok but I prefer the certain dungeon root that they usually go for

#6 2 months ago
  7. ManuOtaku

Looks great, and the style is pretty good like an evolution of skysword art style, which i did love.

And i like they try new things with the franchise with the open worlf thing, also it seems weapon might be upgradeble.

#7 2 months ago
  8. Joe Musashi

@6 Checkout DRoD. All dungeon gameplay, all the time. Except things get far more fiendish than Zelda ever dares to go. One of my three favourite games of all time (of all time, yo).

JM

#8 2 months ago
  9. polygem

well it will obviously have dungeons. it´s just more like a link between worlds in how you will be able to approach them. reggie confirmed at ign.

#9 2 months ago
  10. OlderGamer

Good looking game.

#10 2 months ago
  11. locus2k1

first oerson to find that first image @ 1080 for me to use as wallpaper gets a cookie :)

#11 2 months ago
  12. locus2k1

first oerson to find that last image @ 1080 for me to use as wallpaper gets a cookie :)

#12 2 months ago
  13. dazedonthemoon

Really not digging the wind waker graphic style. Was really hoping for the more realistic HD Zelda than shiny cartoony Zelda. Le sigh.

#13 2 months ago
  14. FBSKing

This are good news anyway, but I think the style should be more cgi and less cel shade, it does not have to be hyper realistic but must be more consistent with the anime style of zelda, how about a cel shade like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTYM2I6Ut2g would be fantastic if they get the same result with their engine;)

#14 2 months ago
  15. hitnrun

As a wise man once said:

“Zelda sucks, and it has sucked for a long time. It’s not the greatest series in gaming, and Ocarina of Time is certainly not the greatest game of all time (it’s not even a great Zelda).”

Hopefully they were listening. This certainly looks like it.

Even if I don’t agree with it entirely, that piece captures why my experience with Zelda for the last two decades has been desultorily logging an hour or two into the game’s tedious odyssey and then quitting.

“If Zelda is to reclaim any of the spirit that Miyamoto first invested in its world, it needs to do a few things. It needs to make most of the map accessible from the beginning. No artificial barriers to clumsily guide Link along a set course. Players know that game; they know when they’re being played. Link must be allowed to enter areas he’s not ready for. He must be allowed to be defeated, not blocked, by the world and its inhabitants.”

#15 2 months ago
  16. Game Hunter

What about the Zelda tech demo which was shown two years ago?the graphics of that demo was much more better than this IMO.

#16 2 months ago