Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age is Crytek’s new online shooter – trailer

Tuesday, 3rd June 2014 13:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age is the new co-op shooter debut from Crytek USA Corp. It’s a four-player co-op action game that sees players battling waves of horrific creatures.

hunt_horrors_of_the_gilded_age

Crytek’s been busy it seems, as the Hunt reveal follows the announcement of 5v5 online multiplayer game Arena of Fate. Hit the link for all of the details and Crytek’s debut trailer.

In a press release sent to VG247 today, Crytek confirmed that Hunt is coming to PC and consoles for free, and will show face at E3 2014 in Los Angeles next week. It’s a third-person action game that sees up to four co-op players fending off waves of nightmarish creatures in the 1800s using a range of weapons, along with procedurally-generated enemy waves and bosses.

David Adams, CEO of Crytek USA Corp said in a statement, “In Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, players will be counting their bullets and crying out for help as they delve deeper into the shadowy world we’ve created. From the outset of the development process, we’ve poured our imaginations into the game so that everyone who plays HUNT will discover a challenging experience that feels fresh, captivating and rich in possibilities.”

Closed beta testing will kick off on PC later this year, and you can sign up now over at the official Hunt site.

Here’s the trailer:

1. Luciferous

My only questions are these – Does it have a compelling story behind it? Also is it really F2P, or are we going to be buying gear to progress part a certain point?

#1 4 months ago
  2. OlderGamer

No doubt there will be something to buy, devs and pubs need to make their cash. But at lest it is free to get started. I would rather that, in most cases, then 60usd up front and another 30us to 50usd after that like Titanfall, PvZ:GW, CoD or BF.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Xbone

Oh boy, another pay to win title.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Tormenter

Another co-op shooter.. Move along nothing to see here.

#4 4 months ago
  5. OlderGamer

^^^Gotta see the big picture: BF4 cost me 110usd to be able to play with my friends. In most cases in a f2p i spend only a fraction of that. And in alot cases like leagues and Hawken, you never need to spend anything to enjoy and win the same game.

#5 4 months ago
  6. karma

I guess this doesn’t have an offline single player story?

In that case no thanks. I find online social games boring.

So are Crytek still aiming at F2P gamer milking or what? Is that what this is?

#6 4 months ago
  7. The_Red

Wait, THREE game announcements from Crytek?
    Wouldn’t it be better to focus on making one great game rather than 2 generic multiplayer titles and a sequel to a game no one asked for (Though I am intrigued by Homefront 2).

#7 4 months ago
  8. BrokenSpline

@The_Red

Multiple studios. THis is made by the studio that is most of Vigil, Crytek Austin.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Darkfield

Of course it would have been great if Crytek knew how to make games.

#9 4 months ago
  10. The_Red

@BrokenSpline
    Thanks for the info. I knew about Homefront being made by former Timesplitters devs but this is rather encouraging for Hunt. Still, I wish they could all cooperate and make something that has a good plot, a good gameplay and a good visual presentation (God knows the main Crytek team needs the former 2 elements).

#10 4 months ago
  11. bradk825

This is cool. It looks like it’ll be a lot bigger than a lot of other F2P titles. I’ve never actually spent money on a F2P before, but if this is of good enough quality who knows? I can’t wait to see more at E3.

Gee, I wonder if this will run on CryEngine.

#11 4 months ago