Xbox Live Gold subscription requirement to be lifted for Hulu, Netflix – rumour

Tuesday, 13th May 2014 02:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Netflix and Hulu may soon be available via Xbox Live to all users – even if they don’t have an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

xbox_live_media_apps

Ars Technica cites “multiple sources within Microsoft” for the rumour, claiming that the Xbox Live Gold paywall will be removed for streaming media apps on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

The site has been told that other Xbox Live services may be added to the Gold offering to balance the change, but could not confirm whether this refers to existing services or upcoming content like Microsoft’s original programming.

The decision to make the change is not yet finalised, apparently, and Microsoft is expected to make an announcement about the change at its June 9 E3 2014 briefing should it decide to follow through.

Microsoft has not commented on the matter.

The Xbox Live Gold paywall is a bit of a sore issue as Hulu, Netflix and cable channels already require a subscription, meaning users have to cough up twice. The PlayStation Network and Nintendo Network do not charge a subscription fee to access similar offerings.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. DeVitowned

It was a stupid and pointless requirement in the first place.

#1 4 months ago
  2. PuppyInMyPocket

@DeVitowned True. Only goes to show how bad things were under old management. E3 is hyped up to be the best in years, xbox finally under good care and playstation continuing its hot streak.

#2 4 months ago
  3. wally10975

Hopefully this means Xbox One gamers will now get to enjoy some Games for Gold finally.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Obernox

LATE. I already traded the piece of crap away.

#4 4 months ago
  5. SlayerGT

@Obernox Right? Doesn’t really matter for me though. To win me back it’ll take one-upping, not matching. You know, how Plus became greater value..

#5 4 months ago
  6. Dragon

Great move. However, it remains to be seen what will “offset” it.

#6 4 months ago
  7. silverstorm

A step in the right direction. Alls their apps should be free, especially Internet Explorer.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Gheritt White

@PuppyInMyPocket Preach it. Don Mattrick and John Schappert leaving was the second best thing to happen to Xbox in years, the first being Phil Spencer and Ken Lobb’s promotions.

#8 4 months ago
  9. pukem0n

next-gen consoles are pretty much useless without Gold or PSN+ anyway for gamers, so why exactly do we pretend to care about this?

#9 4 months ago
  10. majormayhem70

@pukem0n I thought I was the only one to recognize this. I guess if you didn’t pay your subscription, it would be nice to know that you can use these services. But I personally have other devices connected to my tv that offers the same services for free anyways.
    I can see where last generation consoles this would be an issue. Well sort of. Playing games on PSN was free, plus you got the other services as well. Paying for gold was the only way to get these services through your Xbox. But I don’t know a single person who owns a 360 that doesn’t / didn’t pay for gold. This holds true for everyone I know that has converted to the X1. It’s almost like “why would you have one without the other?” I know some can come up with a reason why, but it wouldn’t work for me.
    If your intent is to play games online, this shouldn’t have been a gripe.

#10 4 months ago