Microsoft tech demo shows off power of Xbox One’s cloud

Thursday, 3rd April 2014 22:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Titanfall is the first game we’ve seen to use Microsoft’s cloud servers to offload processing in any significant fashion, but this tech demo gives you a better idea of what’s actually going on when developers take advantage of the tech.

Captured from an archived livestream of Microsoft’s annual Build developer conference, the video below shows a tech demo running on PC hardware under ideal conditions. As such, it’s not necessarily representative of what the Xbox One can do – but it does give you an idea of the possibilities. After all, when you’re running around blowing things up in Titanfall, you’re unlikely to stop to think “gosh the AI is impressive and incidentally are being calculated on cloud servers since there’s no way a console on its own could do this in a multiplayer scenario”. You’re just like “pew pew, baby”.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Asgaro

Is this a sponsored Titanfall PR article? Or a late April Fools?
    There is nothing special about Titanfall that needs to be offloaded to remote servers because it would not be possible on the console or PC…

Even more so: if you offload calculations, it would still be more beneficial to do it local. The round trip time (= from your system to the server and back) is way too high to be usable in something like games.

And what is this?
    [quote]
    After all, when you’re running around blowing things up in Titanfall, you’re unlikely to stop to think “gosh these physics are impressive and incidentally are being calculated on cloud servers since there’s no way a console on its own could do this in a multiplayer scenario”. You’re just like “pew pew, baby”.
    [/quote]

What impressive physics? Am I watching the wrong Youtube footage of this game?
    Everything I see in Titanfall could be done on even previous-gen consoles.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Panthro

Both explosions are different, the one using “the cloud” looks very toned down in comparison to the other.

Show me the exact same explosions running on Xbox’s using the cloud or don’t even fucking bother.

Also they say that the tech demo is running on a “high end rig” even though it is just scraping 30fps and is showing extreme frame drops. This entire demonstration is such bullshit.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Panthro

@Asgaro

Yeah I’ve played Titanfall and the type of physics these guys are showing off have no relevance at all towards the game, or any games on Xbox.

I will give the Xbox 2 years to show me a game with any impressive unscripted destruction physics and I will buy the console as a punishment to myself for being sceptical.
    But am I being sceptical? It doesn’t feel like I am.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

I made an error! It’s the AI that’s done on the cloud, not physics. I forget which game pushes its physics onto the cloud, probably something upcoming.

#4 4 months ago
  5. fihar

Yeaaaaaah!
    Pew pew, baby!

Seriously though, unless the amount of computing necessary is so beyond the capability of the processor itself, there’s absolutely no reason to do this and really after seeing Titanfall and Second Son on my regular store, Titanfall ain’t that impressive.

Of course, I haven’t had the chance to spend an extended period of time with either so feel free to disregard this if you want to.

#5 4 months ago
  6. mistermogul

@Asgaro – I’m pretty sure VG247 is a sponsored Titanfall PR website… :)

#6 4 months ago
  7. wicktus

Thank god Cloud exist, how would the X1 run the Source engine flawlessly otherwise ( :) )

#7 4 months ago
  8. Erthazus

Power of my balls.

This shit PC do for YEARS without any cloud. Hell, even on consoles games like Battlefield that actually has some intense physics and graphics runs on the next gen in 720p and 60 FPS.

On the PC you could do this with any game that has physX.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Panthro

I bet both PC’S have different specs.

One shitty and one ‘good’ (32 fps LOL) .

“Here Xbox gamers look how good the ‘Clouuuud’ is.”
    Then the employees go home and laugh at how gullible there sheep are.

#9 4 months ago
  10. Asgaro

@Brenna Hillier
    No problem. It’s hard to tell with this game and I would make the same mistake.
    The AI isn’t that special from the tons of footage I’ve seen. Yet Respawn devs claim the AI couldn’t be done on the local machine, hence “Wow thank god for Microsoft’s CLOUDZ”.

All lies. Nothing more to it.

#10 4 months ago