Snatcher HD remake in development for Dreamcast, comparison shots posted

Tuesday, 4th March 2014 12:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Snatcher is getting an unofficial HD make-over for Dreamcast. Fans of Hideo Kojima’s original adventure over at Collectorvision are working on the remaster now, which will include updated HD visuals, a reworked soundtrack and more.

The remaster was confirmed over on Collectorvision’s Facebook page, along with some side-by-side comparison shots:

snatcher_hd_dreamcast_2

snatcher_hd_dreamcast_1

There’s little information beyond this. We’ll keep our eyes peeled for new details as they come.

Thanks Johnny & SEGAbits.

1. dreamcastnews

I honestly don’t think there’s been a console that I’ve got more enjoyment than the DC.
    I’m glad the machine is still supported!

#1 6 months ago
  2. fihar

Holy shit!
    Policenauts could use this kind of love.

#2 6 months ago
  3. TheWulf

I don’t know how to feel about this, honestly. The ‘HD’ here is just a blurring and anti-aliasing effect, similar to hq4x. A lot of emulators can already do that. Though I could still see how it would be desirable for collectors (including me) if they hadn’t desaturated it.

Desaturating and changing the colour palette of a colourful Japanese game is a really, really weird thing to do. It almost looks like the colour palette has been changed to fit Western sensibilities, and I don’t agree with that. I think that the original art deserves a degree of faithfulness.

And, really, the desaturation just looks like shader-spam (yaaaay) or Photoshop work. It’s unnecessary.

If it wasn’t for the desaturation and colour alterations, I might have picked this up. As it stands, the emulated Snatcher is still quite a bit better than this.

#3 6 months ago
  4. TheWulf

And I don’t mean to be down on it. I’m just a little jaded because I’m seeing a lot of stuff losing its charm to fit Western sensibilities. Like how almost all games are greyscale these days.

I mean, was it necessary to remove a robot’s fun banana-yellow colour and repaint it with a dull beige, the kind we saw on ancient computers? Why would anyone curse anything with beige?

#4 6 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Or a camera’s, rather, looking at it again. But yes. Why beige? Why? Beige makes me sad.

#5 6 months ago