Microsoft Studios boss teases fan asking about an Xbox One JPRG from Mistwalker

Saturday, 22nd February 2014 22:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer took to Twitter to tease a JRPG fan who asked when we can expect an Xbox One reveal from Final Fantasy creator and Mistwalker’s Hironobu Sakaguchi.

blyedragon

Speaking on Twitter, user SenjutsuSage asked: “So when do you think you’re ready to tell us about that JRPG Sakaguchi is working on for the Xbox One? I’m just fishing. Humor me.”

Spencer replied: “Tuesday….”

So either a game is in the works and the reveal is coming this Tuesday, or some other Tuesday in the foreseeable future remains to be seen. He could also be pulling the poor fella’s leg – which I feel is the case, sadly.

Just thought I’d give you a heads up anyway in the off chance it does happen this coming Tuesday.

I wouldn’t hold my breathe if I were you, though.

It’s unknown at present what Sakaguchi is working on at Mistwalker, but this would not be the first Xbox exclusive for him: Blue Dragon (which I loved!) and Lost Odyssey were both Xbox 360 exclusives.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Obernox

I’d be a waste if true. I doubt JRPGs will be a system seller for the xbox.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Obernox

I meant to say “it’d'” lol

#2 7 months ago
  3. salarta

It would be a shame if Mistwalker really did make an XBox-exclusive game again. That exclusivity is why I never played Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon; if they were available on any other system, I would have bought and played them.

I’ve heard people claim that Sakaguchi doesn’t want to make games for Sony consoles because of Sony’s hand in Sakaguchi “resigning” from Squaresoft after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I also know Nintendo isn’t a good fit for Mistwalker given that Nintendo has too small of a potential audience, is restrictive of content (as demonstrated by Nintendo telling Mistwalker to change Last Story from a darker to a lighter atmosphere), and almost didn’t even release their last game stateside. But, surely there are other venues? There’s always Steam, which may not be ideal but at least gets their games to more people without having to sacrifice any of their creative vision.

#3 7 months ago
  4. Malmer

Yes, YES, YES! Lost Odyssey was such a great game. Som flaws, sure, but like any really good game the flaws didn’t matter, because the experience as a whole was amazing. Can’t wait for more in the same spirit.

#4 7 months ago
  5. BrokenSpline

Not sure why Sakaguchi would do this. Not only is he saying F U to his actual fanbase like his homeland but he is actually ignoring where JRPGs sell best on which is Sony and Nintendo.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were good but it didn’t make any waves in fact they were flops. Sakaguchi is just going to have to swallow his pride and get back with Sony.

#5 7 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I couldn’t agree more with that. The XBox is the most mainstream console of them all. The PC has more retro fans than any other system, and the WiiU/3DS has a bizarre cadre of eccentric fans thanks to Nitnendo. So either of those would have made sense. The PS3 has an on again/off again relationship with eccentric media (versus mainstream media), but the PS4 seems to be shying away from that even more than the PS3 did.

But the XBox? It’s the most mainstream console. It’s typically the bro culture console. Which is fine if that’s what you want. I mean, it’s the Halo console, the Gears of War console, et al. That’s the image Microsoft crafted for it, and it’s the audience they’ve courted (probably because it’s the biggest). Thus, the only games that really sell well on the 360 are very mainstream affairs. And it would be bad marketing to swap out that with the XBox One, and I’ve seen no indication that they have any desire of doing so.

So, the WiiU would make me grumble, but I could understand it. That’s why I said that Sonic Boom being there is one of the things making me consider getting a WiiU, rather than being irritated by it. I can see the audience there, and the only other platform that would have that audience is the PC.

I’d be more irritated by PS4 exclusivity, but I could see that, too. Even if Sony isn’t really dedicated to grooming that kind of image, and thus isn’t always too kind to those aspects of their own library, having decided to put the priority mainstream first, indies/small stuff last. (It wasn’t that way around the launch of the PS3, interestingly, but it’s where they’ve gone since.)

But yeah… the XBox? Why would you put a JRPG on the XBox? That’d be like making the next Halo or Gears of War a WiiU exclusive. I just don’t see how it’s going to sell.

This is where a lot of my dumbfounded reactions to exclusivity come from, I’m stupefied by it. They’d make the most money by having it cross-platform. WiiU and PC primarily, followed by 3DS and PS3. That would seem to make the most sense… I just… they’re doing the opposite of that.

Microsoft is either paying them way, way too much money, or they’re horrible at business in general and they’re going to go bankrupt quickly.

#6 7 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I don’t think the ‘Sony’ part is true any more. As I said, it sort of is, but that’s mostly due to the earliest era of the PS3, and the PS2 itself. Then it was strong, but since then, Sony has had a very disdainful attitude towards Asian entertainment, dismissing it in favour of courting Western titles. Nintendo’s been the ‘good son’ when it comes to bringing things from the East, honestly.

And any Japanese-borne efforts launched on Steam have invariably sold bucketloads, so much so that we’ve had developers come back and release special editions on Steam just to test the waters. So there’s a market for that, too. I’d throw my arms up and say ‘obviously’ due to all the people who own a PC to play retro games on emulators, but yeah. For some reason, people get it into their heads that if you’re playing ancient games on an emulator, you don’t want to buy new things. To the contrary, if I’m playing something on an emulator, I definitely want to buy a modern take on what I’m playing on that emulator. I think some publishers are beginning to realise this.

So I think the primary markets are Nintendo and the PC, with Sony trailing behind because of the disdain they’ve shown since the launch of the PS3. It hasn’t exactly been a wonderland of imported and translated titles, there.

I sometimes wonder that if I’m so able to understand markets as just an armchair observer, how bad must these marketing departments be?

An XBox One JRPG is going to fail so, so hard.

I hope Microsoft is paying them well for exclusivity, I really, truly do.

#7 7 months ago
  8. antraxsuicide

I feel like you guys don’t understand MS’s business strategy. Ever notice how you don’t see very much competition between genres on the Xbox? That’s how MS woos 3rd party publishers. Let me ask you this: was anyone surprised that EA switched what console would get BF DLC content from the Playstation to the Xbox? The reason is because Sony went and competed with EA by making their flagship launch title a military shooter.

That makes publishers mad. If you want your JRPG to make money, I’d keep it the hell away from the system with a 1000 JRPGs on it. That’s easy to do. Put it on the Xbox. MS will secure a few JRPGs, and they’ll keep the release dates far away from each other. MS doesn’t compete with 3rd parties, and that makes them popular.

#8 7 months ago
  9. Dragon

Not happening.

“Update: It’s not an actual thing, folks.

“I was joking, he said to humor him,” Spencer clarified on Twitter.

“I like Sakaguchi-san, doing [Blue Dragon] and [Lost Odyssey] was really great. Apologies again if I created anticipation. I haven’t talked MW in awhile,” he added.”

#9 7 months ago
  10. Dragon

” Sony has had a very disdainful attitude towards Asian entertainment”
    Yeah, trademark Wulf para with no proof.

“And any Japanese-borne efforts launched on Steam have invariably sold bucketloads”
    And yet another PC port begging. Any numbers?

PC never was, and never will be dominant platform for JRPGs. It will be Sony/Nintendo platforms for big games, and mobile for the rest.
    The PC boat came, no one cared, and it sailed out of Japan. Most of the things there are old ports, or kickstarters.
    Not that PC games aren’t popular in Japan. All hentai games have PC as their main platform.
    Suits PC perfectly :lol:

#10 7 months ago
  11. CharlesLupula

I feel like, as a community, we need to band together and maybe set up a Kickstarter, so that TheWulf can get the surgery he so desperately needs that will help repair his vocal chords, so that he can stop talking out of his ass.

I mean, that whole nonsense about Sony’s apparent “disdainful” attitude towards Asian games could only come from someone who knows absolutely nothing about Sony systems. Anyone with even a working brainstem can see that the PS3 is rich in exclusive JRPGs, (and when I say exclusive, I mean it. Are you enjoying that PC port of Tales of Xillia? Oh wait…) with a wealth of new releases in that genre coming out in the West all the way into 2015.

But no, TheWulf, obviously suffering from constipation of the brain and Cholera of the mouth, makes a typical long-winded post, filled with more misinformation than an evening with Rupert Murdoch would give you.

#11 7 months ago
  12. CharlesLupula

Anyway, away from the truth-deficient and back to the subject at hand: I’m surprised anyone actually took this seriously. It’s pretty obvious that Spencer was being sarcastic and Microsoft had already cancelled the third game of the three game deal they had with Mistwalker. That’s the type of thing that lead to Level 5 not working with Microsoft anymore and I can’t imagine it went over well with Mistwalker, either.

#12 7 months ago
  13. PrinceEV

hey guys. I have a serious problem in the past few days. the site doesn’t show me ANY pictures. I use latest version of FF, and I have latest version of adblock plus on it. everything’s working perfect on Chrome or IE. I only have this problem on FF. PLEASE HELP!

#13 7 months ago
  14. PrinceEV

BTW, it’s only happens for the main page. i can see the picture inside each news link.

#14 7 months ago
  15. Altered Beast Reborn

Love the idea of this. Even if unlikely. Have no sympathy for people who claim they would have played the game if it were only not on “X” console.

#15 6 months ago
  16. salarta

I see this news article was updated at some point.

Anyway, it’s a shame, but not surprised. Guess this is another Sakaguchi game I’ll never play. And since Last Story is the only real video game I’ve played by him since he started Mistwalker (the mobile games don’t count), this means that as much as I like Sakaguchi, I’ve essentially given more support to Squeenix than him since the merger and his departure. Since I’ve played and enjoyed FF12, FF4DS, and Nier.

#16 6 months ago
  17. xTheTrueSeekerx

I realize I’m late, but E3 starts on a Tuesday…….

#17 4 months ago
  18. ManuOtaku

@CharlesLupula he can post his believes here as much as anyone elses, as long as he/ she does not insult, constantly attack a platform, etc, as long as he/she complies with the sites guides and rulings, can post as much as he wants, like everyone else.
    You might Not agree with his opinions, and it is valid, but dont go the extra mile doing it.

#18 4 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

For the topic at hanf, o did enjoy and love all their 3 games in the past gen, hard to pick my favorite, but i think i will go with last oddisey.
    I do hope they will release another game in any of the consoles, thats one of the advantadges of owning all consoles.

#19 4 months ago