PS4: UK supply to remain limited until April, says Gara

Friday, 21st February 2014 13:03 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 consoles are expected to remain in limited supply across the UK until April, according to exec Fergal Gara.

Speaking with MCV, PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara said, “I can’t work it out precisely. But based on what I’ve seen so far, I think it is going to be tricky until around about April. You might get a fortnight or a week here or there where it is more available, but we should be back to free supply by about April. That’s our best guess. It might be a little earlier than that, or it might be a little later. But we’ll get there.”

Reflecting on the high uptake of pre-orders across the UK, Gara added, “PS4 pre-orders were obviously a strong indicator of what was going to happen, but they were so big that we were pinching ourselves and wondering if people were pre-ordering in more than one place, and if some of these pre-orders were real. We were getting numbers we never imagined, let alone seen before. But it proved to be real. How do I reconcile that? I think the world has changed since we launched PS3.”

Did you get a PS4 at launch? Are you holding out for this Christmas instead? Let us know below.

Via DualShockers.

1. OwnedWhenStoned

How well does it play Blu Rays and run Netflix? I heard it was pretty bad and there was going to be a firmware update. Might get one after that.

#1 6 months ago
  2. gomersoul

It is excellent as a blu ray player, and runs Netflix and iPlayers really well. Just doesn’t support 3d yet until a firmware update

#2 6 months ago
  3. OwnedWhenStoned

@2 Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that it was worse as a media player than the PS3 – I stand corrected.

Can’t get them here in Germany anyway, so I guess it’s a moot point.

#3 6 months ago
  4. mistermogul

Sony really learned from their past arrogance and PS3 errors by listening to gamers and developers rather than doing what they thought was best.

They’ve produced a machine that is very appealing to gamers and it really shows in the final product. Imo they are being rightfully rewarded in sales…

#4 6 months ago
  5. Hcw87

PS3 is still the best console media player. Neither XB1 or PS4 is that great yet, but who buys a console to use as a mediaplayer anyway? There are far better alternatives out there (WDTV/AppleTV/ROKU etc).

#5 6 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Neither console is appealing at the moment, seeing as they both struggle achieving 1080p/60fps games.

I am FAR happier with my PC at the moment, but then again it cost over twice as much as XB1+PS4 combined. Those with cash should stay away from both consoles until they build a better library in a few years, and invest in a PC instead.

#6 6 months ago
  7. OlderGamer

Tbh, I agree with Hcw.

My PS4 is just fine for BluRay and does Netflix great.

But for games…thus far not impressed. But like Hcw, I am on my PC most of the time to play my games. I tell everyone of my friends to just wait and buy a console when the games fill out more.

#7 6 months ago
  8. dreamcastnews

Down in the South West they have as many as you’d like in GAME and Sainsbury’s…. We even have a second-hand one where I work, I’m not sure what Sony are smoking but you can get them alright.

#8 6 months ago
  9. MFBB

@You can use them here in Germany (anyhwere in the world) aswell, simply use a proxy server.
    I use Hulu&other streaming sites and there are no problems.

They dont delete accounts because you are using a proxy server or VPN.

@Hcw87 no one buys consoles for graphics, the hardware is static and will always fall behind.

If you go only PC you miss way to many awesome games.

I am going to buy a PS4 as soon as there are 4-5 exclusives I am interested in…end of the year or 2015 should be enough games released and being released soon.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Hcw87

”We buy console because of the great exclusive games, cheap price and simple use.”

That’s kinda my point. There are almost no exclusives worth owning on either console yet, the price is high as it just launched and they will both get patched plenty of times over the course of a few years. That’s why you should wait if you’re strapped for cash.

I got both PS4/XB1 and a high end PC though, but i would regret buying the consoles if i couldn’t easily afford them.

Been replaying some last-gen games on PC, and it’s astonishing how much better they run and look on PC. Borderlands 2 running with high Physx on a 144hz monitor for example just needs to be experienced by everyone.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Mike W

@Hcw87

So true, but the games are starting to slowly (I do mean slowly) starting to come down. I have to admit I’ve been playing the PS4 a lot lately since strider came out.

#11 6 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

The PS4 plays Netflix and Blu-rays great, it doesnt have a Youtube app, but the same interface that the PS3 had for playing Youtube videos. It doesnt have the ability play media from the network which is a bummer.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Mike W

I think Sony is kind of shooting themselves in the foot here, when games like Infamous Second Son comes out, isn’t the demand for the system going to get even higher???

#13 6 months ago
  14. Dragon

Its rather clear now that X1 has no chance of matching PS4 in overall sales (Wii U never had one).

And of course, it stands as an undeniable indicator of huge demand of for home consoles, despite all PC/mobile/tablet etc. evangelism and console doom prophecies that went on (and obviously proven wrong).

“In a few years time, 1400p+ will be the norm on PC, and consoles will yet again trail far behind the gaming PC’s.”

@Mike W,
    If anything, Sony has been justified in holding back games with such humongous launch. Sony are selling every PS4 they can produce. Its the fastest selling console ever. Sony easily has more 1st games in development for PS4 than any other console, and wisely, most of them haven’t even been announced.
    Games will come. The awesome sales for PS4 ensures that. The utter dominance of its sales also ensures that it will be that much more difficult for MS to have 3rd party exclusives in any form.

#14 6 months ago
  15. fengato

@Hcw87 As someone who plays through a 1080p tele, achieving 1440p means very little. I’m a couch gamer – I avoid sitting up to a desk to play (spend all day working at one). I want to sit back, use a controller and relax.

I’d love all games on PS4 to reach native 1080p – if I could buy a $1000 super PS4 I would. I want the best controller/ living room based system (where I won’t be playing competitively against guys hunched over a desk with a keyboard and mouse.) That’s why I’m greatly enjoying the PS4; particularly BF4 presently.

#15 6 months ago
  16. Kreion

@Dragon
    “Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that console hardware become obsolete in a few years and hence are replaced by newer iterations.” Console hardware has always become obsolete pretty quickly – at least if you want to talk about top-of-the-line graphics. This is nothing new and the console’s WON’T be updated. The 360 and PS3 were way behind the times even two or so years ago and we still had to endure for a while before they updated them.

As for MS and 3rd party…I think you’re forgetting that MS makes so much more than Sony overall. Hell, Sony was in the red for a looong time before now, which is why it’s good the PS4 is doing so well imo. But the point is that if MS want 3rd party, they can pay more. Plus I don’t think we’ll see as many exclusive 3rd part games this gen, since it should be far easier to port games between the systems (and indeed the PC).

I’d also add that the PS3 was was behind the 360 for ages until it eventually overtook it right at the end…but then again I wouldn’t be surprised if the X1 trails behind a bit this gen – it depends on the games coming for both systems.

#16 6 months ago