Final Fantasy 13′s Lightning may possibly “return” as a guest character in future games

Saturday, 15th February 2014 20:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 may close the book on our heroine’s story, but that doesn’t mean it will be the last we see of her.

lightning returns

Speaking with Siliconera, director Motomu Toriyama said Lightning, er um, returning someday is a “possibility.”

“For Lightning, her story ends here in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13, as this game is meant as a finale to this series,” said Toriyama. “But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters.

“So there is a possibility that Lightning would appear in other future Final Fantasy titles, not as a protagonist, but as a guest character.”

For those who have yet to the play the game, Toriyama said the team prepared “an ending of an epic scale” for her fans as well as “a little bit of an epilogue for Lightning.”

If you head through the Siliconera link, Toriyama also discusses the ticking time clock in the game.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 is now available on PS3 and Xbox 360, and for those itching for more Final Fantasy, series producer Yoshinori Kitase said entry 15 is already “quite far into development”.

1. Blackened Halo

This isnt even funny yet …my god, just let the stuff around FF13 die, get rid of it and never return to it!! My god, they have just gone mad …

“But we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters” …really? so why dont you make a FF game with Cloud as a main hero?

#1 6 months ago
  2. salarta

Oh good, so now I have yet another reason on a long list of reasons to not buy Squeenix products.

If we were talking about Aki Ross here, then sure. But Lightning? Fuck no. She’s only “popular” in comparison to the rest of the FF13 cast, and any “popularity” she enjoys beyond that is entirely a result of Squeenix going out of their way to promote her above anyone else. If Squeenix wanted a REAL, actual popular female character to promote, they’d make Parasite Eve 3 with 3rd Birthday completely noncanon, or a Final Fantasy VI game starring either Terra or Celes, both of them made without Toriyama involved at all.

And since we all know Toriyama is obsessed with this character, this is purely and simply him spewing crap to promote his own interest in a character he’s doing everything he can to have put on a pedestal.

I have a feeling the series is fucked for another 20-30 years yet. Even if FF15 is successful, Squeenix will completely ignore that success because it doesn’t fit in with their pandering to Toriyama.

#2 6 months ago
  3. tracyis300

@Blackened Halo I agree. Why can’t they make a FFVII-2? But no!… They gave us a spin-off and a movie… Smh

#3 6 months ago
  4. salarta

@tracyis300 I wondered about that for a long time, and suspected they were holding back to do FF7 stuff as a last gasp effort to save the franchise once they milked the hell out of it. But then, after a while, I realized: they’re never making an FF7 remake because doing a shitty job with it would expose how terrible the company’s become and they’d end up losing consumers.

Past interviews I’ve seen about the idea of an FF7 remake involve people at Squeenix saying they’d want to radically change certain events, or add entirely brand new ones. Ultimately, they end up pissing off one group of people if they change too much, and end up pissing off another group of people if they change too little. Based on past projects by Squeenix, I also expect they wouldn’t be able to capture any of the charm the original game had. The only good remakes to come out of Squeenix have been ones outsourced to external developers, and I expect it’s because those external developers are more thoughtful and conscious to the fact that people are going to be judging their work by how it’s altered or enhanced the original content.

Also, Toriyama was working at Squeenix when FF7 was made, mostly for the Honeybee Inn stuff but he’s also given credit for the content involving Aeris (I say “given credit” because notably, nothing anywhere near as deep and meaningful has come out of him since Sakaguchi’s departure from the company, leading me to suspect that some or all of his Aeris material came from Sakaguchi’s oversight).

#4 6 months ago
  5. sithsylar

I have heard reports and this may sound crazy to some but i have heard the CEO of square enix is in love with lightning……. So i am not surprised by this at all in the slightest. Of course its a fucking stupid move but hey its square enix. I have given up on them a very long time…. I also dont want them to remake any of the final fantasy because i do not trust square enix to screw them up.

#5 6 months ago
  6. sithsylar

@sithsylar

Sorry i mean the director Motomu Toriyama …

#6 6 months ago
  7. Sylrissa

It’s hilarious watching all the hate surrounding this trilogy and Lightning, sure it’s no where near as good as older FF titles from the PS1 era, but it’s undeserving of the vitriol it gets, and still a decent game in it’s own way, albeit with a nonsensical plot.

But I’m still finding myself having quite a bit of fun with the game, the more ARPG combat system is really fun, and I’ve got no regrets to have picked it up.

#7 6 months ago
  8. BrokenSpline

@Sylrissa

Having played all of the games and currently playing the latest one. It is by far the worst gen of Final Fantasy. I would rather just forget about it entirely. The only good one is this one as they finally gave a combat that is not only fun to play but allows you to do actually do what you want. The story is still absolutely horrible. FF15 is the only thing saving this series if they can’t pull it out of the ground I am done with this series and will just play the games I own pre-Ps3. I stopped buying FF after that abomination they call FF13. Been going strictly off renting for the series.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Djoenz

Who the fuck thinks Lightning is extremely popular? The fanbase really??
    I dont believe that. Sickening….

#9 6 months ago
  10. salarta

@Djoenz The answer to your question: Toriyama, whoever at the company is allowing him to stay employed when better creators have been fired over MUCH less, and a sizable chunk of the people that decided to actually buy any of these things pretending to be Final Fantasy games.

Thanks to Toriyama’s remark, I canceled my preorder of FFXV just in case Lightning or any of Toriyama’s crap finds its way into the game. It’s a very extreme reaction, I will openly admit that. But I’m not going to take the company trying to force this guy’s trash down my throat to justify his continued presence at the company. He had his last shot with 3rd Birthday, and he squandered it to try to make his personal fantasies into canon and ruined a great character in the process.

The game will come out in Japan first, I’ll have time to scope it out and see what’s in it. If everything looks okay, then I’ll preorder the game again or buy it later. But if I see “zomg Lightning in the game super kawaii” then I’m not touching it.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Sylrissa

@Salarta To each their own, I know i’ll be enjoy lightning returns until FFXV comes out, then I’ll be enjoying that as well!

#11 6 months ago
  12. juggy

im sensing something’s bad gonna happen to FFXV. Toriyama should be remove from the ff quality committee

#12 6 months ago
  13. Vice

“we know that Lightning is an extremely popular character, even when compared to other Final Fantasy characters”
    Excuse ME?! What kind of royal bullshit is that? Every comment about her I see is negative, NOBODY likes her, at best ppl just don’t give a fuck about her. Geez….. You want a real popular female FF character, try Tifa. Ofc it’s mostly thanks to her bra size, but it doesn’t really matters. What, 17 years later Tifa is still well known, while we’d forget about Lightning as soon as they’d stop shoving her down ppl’s throats.

#13 6 months ago
  14. CharlesLupula

I’m totally cool with this, for several reasons.

One, it drives Salarta crazy, and anything that ruins his day makes me happy.

Second, while she’s not my favorite character in the whole series (that would be a toss-up between Auron, Lulu, Caius, Sephiroth, Rikku, Fang, Balthier, and the entire cast of IX), FFXIII is not my favorite (that would be X), Lightning is my favorite main character in the series (really, what competition does she have? The blank slate that is Terra? That annoying little twink, Vaan? Mr. Ellipsis himself, Squall? Sure, Zidane is kinda funny, Tidus is not as bad as people make him out to be, and Cloud was my introduction to the series, but Lightning is still the best main character).

I would love to see her make some cameos in the future.

Really, what I’d like to see most of all would be some sort of Dissidia game for PS3/PS4, instead of wasting such a great idea on a portable system.

#14 6 months ago
  15. salarta

@CharlesLupula It’s funny that you don’t consider the possibility that this kind of stuff is what made me what I am today.

#15 6 months ago