DayZ creator has talked “extensively with Microsoft” but next-gen consoles yet to rival PC

Friday, 14th February 2014 11:59 GMT By Dave Cook

DayZ creator Dean Hall has revealed that he has spoken “extensively with Microsoft” about its Xbox One hardware and although you shouldn’t read too much into what he’s said, it seems that other, unnamed sites have already done that for you, claiming that the game could come to the console. That’s not necessarily the case, but his feedback is interesting nonetheless.

The game probably isn’t guaranteed for Xbox One at the time of writing, but Hall was asked for his thoughts on the next-gen consoles during an interview with GameReactor. “We’d certainly consider release on any feasible platform with a realistic publishing model,” he began. “It seems like currently both of the next-gen consoles should provide an environment we can develop inside.”

Hall still feels that PC is the format of choice for now, and that PS4 and Xbox One have some proving to do. “I personally feel the new consoles have yet to prove themselves able to rival the PC experience, however I feel there is the potential from both.”

He added, “I’ve not personally had the opportunity to view the full details of the PS4 whereas I have had the opportunity to talk extensively with Microsoft. The next-gen consoles show very exciting promise. I’m hopeful that they can deliver on that.

“An important part of that, from my perspective, is encouraging and supporting third-party creative development to bring the ‘edginess’ of PC creative development into the console. I think if the role of Kinect/voice expands to where it is desired it could do some awesome things. I just think it’s too early to say at this point.”

So Hall doesn’t say that DayZ could come to Xbox One, but the fact that he’s speaking with Microsoft suggests there some form of dialogue there. What that involves however, is anyone’s guess.

Via OXM.

1. TrapGodZeus

I’d be pissed if Microsoft snatched up console exclusivity on this too. YOU CAN’T HAVE DAY Z AND STATE OF DECAY DAMN IT. PUT AWAY THE BIG CASH MONEY WAD

#1 2 months ago
  2. Panthro

@TrapGodZeus

They would just cannibalise it anyway like every other big exclusive they have.

#2 2 months ago
  3. TheWulf

Sigh. I hope this doesn’t bring about feelings of inferiority and insecurity again. I’m so tired of that. People need to be satisfied with their purchase or just get something else, cognitive dissonance is a societal cancer.

Anyway, it’s probably more down to personal rights that the console gatekeepers won’t afford them more than the technical capabilities of the console itself. You know, getting it past the surly, greedy gatekeepers.

So yeah.

I don’t know how to feel about that, but I do know that I’m only interested in Sony’s past exclusives and the current ones for the WiiU, though not really enough to tempt me to buy those systems. I don’t really want to support exclusivity because I think it’s a shitty thing to do, in general, and it causes a lot of pointless in fighting along the lines of ‘mine’s bigger.’

Whuf.

Just a whole, big mess.

#3 2 months ago
  4. TrapGodZeus

@TheWulf I don’t mind MS as a game company. They’ve done a lot of sketchy shit over the last few years, but at the end of the day, it’s all about the games.

Thing is, not everyone has $900+ to drop on both new consoles. So I don’t appreciate Microsoft buying up exclusivity on EVERYTHING just because they have the extra funds to do so. It’s bullshit

#4 2 months ago
  5. Panthro

@TrapGodZeus

The line-up so far is pretty bland.

#5 2 months ago
  6. OlderGamer

“I don’t mind MS as a game company”

I do.

“They’ve done a lot of sketchy shit over the last few years”

Exactly.

“If they didn’t do that though there wouldn’t be any good reasons to buy the Xbox One, I still fail to see a reason why anyone has put money down on one since all they have to go off is promises good games will come…

The line-up so far is pretty bland.”

I agree. Esp if you have a PC, PS4, or WiiU(yes I said WiiU – quality first party games).

Also while I am bashing X1:

“I think if the role of Kinect/voice expands to where it is desired it could do some awesome things. I just think it’s too early to say at this point.”

No, it isn’t too early to say. Kinect 2.0 still doesn’t work the way it should. I know a X1 owner and he says he still has to repeat commands often 4 and 5 times to get it to work. How the hell is something like that going to be helpful when playing a game? People/devs need to stop listening to the promise of what MS says Kinect can do and instead start investigating the experience of the damn thing in the wilds in the living room of actual gamers.

Imo, Kinect isn’t there for gaming, it is about the multimedia functions of the browser, TV, and OS. MS wants you snapping things together. That is fine, but most of us just want to play games. Kinect doesn’t bring much to the table for games.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Dragon

Why do people hate other people making money the proper way.
    I can understand people not liking a product, but seriously, this blanket “hate everything this company does” is just unnecessary.

And then, we have a hardcore PC fan (#3) calling out console fans. So much irony.
    Frankly, I would not like a world where people are like him.

#7 2 months ago
  8. polygem

all i can say is this: in the last 5 years or so i had two gaming related experiences that really really increased my heartbeat and renewed my passion for the medium videogame: demons souls and dayZ. there have been other great games but these two are like very rare and beautiful gems really.

#8 2 months ago
  9. ddtd

@Dragon – It’s because there are a lot of crazy people out there that feel that everyone needs to like what they like, and for some reason need to publicly justify this.

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

@ddtd
    funny alt account backing up myself game?
    just asking…
    no links. no proof. just asking. i´ve heard some kids on the internet like to play it cheap, that´s all.

#10 2 months ago
  11. Dragon

@ddtd,
    Yup.
    Case in point, it seems you have ruffled the feathers of a guy famous for no self-control and hilarious double-standards here.

Opinions are fine. Everybody is entitled to have one. But really, pouting same hate/love all over the internet over and over again… the guys like that should do something better during that time.
    Another opinion.

#11 2 months ago
  12. polygem

@Dragon

i am still waiting for the day you will finally be able to say: “Case in point, it seems you have ruffled the feathers of polygem, a guy famous for no self-control and hilarious double-standards here.”

why so shy cutie?

the day that happens you can finally be taken a little more seriously and you then probably learned an important lesson in life too.

Sidenote: irony. the most hateful post in this thread is post numero 7…
    Another opinion.

#12 2 months ago
  13. thegrimmling

I bet the DayZ guy is interested in bringing the game to consoles, but not too thrilled about doing Xbox only

#13 2 months ago
  14. ddtd

@polygem – Are you asking if I’m an alt account? I’ve been on this site for about a year.

#14 2 months ago
  15. Djoenz

Bring this to PS4 and I will definitely buy the console and game.

#15 2 months ago
  16. Legendaryboss

Another day, another article and yet again another claim without a trace of proof. If this were a court you would be laughed out.

#16 2 months ago
  17. thegrimmling

Bring DayZ to the Dreamcast!

#17 2 months ago
  18. polygem

@Legendaryboss

everyone please arise and hear the judges decsision…

I’ve been down that road
    And I won’t go again
    It took it’s toll on me
    And all my friends
    Now I’m tired of settling for less
    And playing the fool
    Keep it away
    I’m trying to keep my cool
    I’m Fed Up- Fed Up
    You say I’m not cool
    Because I’m choosing my friends
    I won’t have that shit
    Around me ever again
    I’m denying some rights
    So you better keep it clear
    Because you step on mine
    Whenever you are near
    AND I’M FED UP – FED UP
    Smoking that butt
    It makes you mature
    A slave to sex
    And you tell me you’re pure
    You slam that beer
    It makes you a man
    I’ll try to keep my cool
    But you better understand
    UNDERSTAND

#18 2 months ago
  19. Legendaryboss

@polygem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vqDQfgOTTk

#19 2 months ago
  20. polygem

@Legendaryboss

#20 2 months ago
  21. Legendaryboss

@polygem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

#21 2 months ago
  22. polygem

@Legendaryboss

hmmm, this is going nowhere. time for a fresh start

#22 2 months ago
  23. Legendaryboss

@polygem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

#23 2 months ago
  24. Dragon

@Legendaryboss,
    When people are in denial or are just sad passionate fans crying over how their favourite doll isn’t selling, while the they hate is, they tend to waste their time on teh internet barking at others.
    Obviously, having a amnesiac memory helps, since he cannot even distinguish between old and new members.

#24 2 months ago
  25. polygem

@Dragon
    hi dragon, back talking about sales numbers again? you are reliable like an old tractor i must admit that pal :) always funny numbers eventhough it doesn´t make any sense tihihi.
    i never cared much about them but you REALLY seem to love them.
    please allow me to give you a recommendation so you can sharpen your skills even more and bite like a true dragon, or turtle one day.

#25 2 months ago
  26. AbigailHolt29

@MikeM Oh man.. im so glad you brought this up..Do you know about this? CashStoredcom

#26 2 months ago
  27. AbigailHolt29

By following this simple advices you can bring $15000 of income every month… All you need is a computer and a internet connection and you are ready to start…
    CashStoredcom

#27 2 months ago
  28. thegrimmling

@Dragon Losers whine about theirs best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

#28 2 months ago