“PlayStation Now is a joke,” says Pachter

Wednesday, 5th February 2014 13:14 GMT By Dave Cook

PS Now has been branded “a joke” by Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

It follows leaked footage Sony’s PS3 cloud-streaming beta, which showed a user loading up PS Now and playing Killzone 3 over the cloud.

Speaking with Game Informer, Pachter said of PS Now, “PlayStation Now is a joke. There is no publisher that is going to license content that’s less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can’t sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental.

“This has no prayer of working. None.”

Pachter’s rationale is that publishers will not license their game for monthly streaming as it will dent their ‘per-unit’ sales, along the same lines as bands on Spotify.

What do you make of Pachter’s reaction?

1. Luciferous

For the love of all things good in the world..

The service isn’t intended for new games, it’s for people wanting to play older games on a new console. Sometimes i just want to slap Pachter with something heavy, but pliant, that that it wraps all the way around during the slap.

#1 11 months ago
  2. pukem0n

not long now till the “experts” in the comment section say he has no idea what he is talking about and they would do his job better :P

anyway, i think publishers will make their games available for it, until they realize it really does harm their sales and won’t anymore

#2 11 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

It would be a gamble on whether small pieces of many, beats fewer chunks of larger purchases. If the platform gains traction, Pachter could easily be left eating hat.

#3 11 months ago
  4. mistermogul

@pukem0n – Everyone is entitled to their opinions. We don’t all claim to be “experts”.

Anyway I think the service is ideal for PS1, PS2 and even early PS3 games. Why not? Those sales are non-existant now and I’m surprised Pachter hasn’t mentioned them.

As #1 said this service is not for new releases so why he’s made this statement is beyond me. It seems very short-sighted for an analyst, unless he’s been misquoted?

#4 11 months ago
  5. Panthro

If it actually works – I like it.

If it doesn’t work – Good for them for trying….

Although I do not see why they can’t just let PS4 users emulate the PS1 and PS2 games and lower the prices since they are way overprices for such older games IMO.

#5 11 months ago
  6. kts

I was going to comment on this but I’m gonna go now and play my copy of Bioshock Infinite, downloaded thanks to my PS Plus subscription.

#6 11 months ago
  7. stalepie

He doesn’t make sense. It’s a service for old games and demos of new ones. If there are rentals for new games, that is the same as rentals at Gamefly. A publisher gets money from rentals, and money from old games they wouldn’t otherwise get.

#7 11 months ago
  8. The_Red

“This has no prayer of working. None.”
    Now I have a reason to root for PS Now :)
    Seriously though, if a 360 owner gets PS4 and wants to play Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3 or Beyond Two Souls, PS Now could be the perfect tool.

#8 11 months ago
  9. OlderGamer

You know one of the best things about Nintendo platforms has been the VC games.

If PS Now develops into a service with similar offerings….with games that not only span the PS platforms but other platforms(from 3rd parties), then it could becomes a huge selling feature. Dead games don’t generate revenue. But with things like VC and PS Now, they can.

Patcher is two things:

Short sighted. He only sees what is right in front of him. He doesn’t understand that sometimes things are long term investments or that something that starts slow, needs time to grow, can also be a huge hit down the road. remember him calling the 3DS a huge failure? I do.

A headline grabbing diva. He is a great guy to quote on a game site. But he is wrong as often as right. And his focus isn’t games…it is revenue. Often times those things are interwoven. But not always. Something can be a great service or a fantastic game and if it doesn’t reap the highest levels of RTI(return on investment) he sees it as a failure.

His advice isn’t aimed at you or I, unless we happen to be investing.

As a gamer, I think PS Now is exciting. I am looking forward to how it will pan out. And I will at least wait till it offers something concrete before I doom it.

#9 11 months ago
  10. mr_capello

so services like netflix are changing the tv and movie bussiness but it wont work with videogames ? right !
    I think it all comes down on how sony is handling the financial part of this on demand gaming service. I don’t think that sony will make games available on release but some time down the line , like after 1 year or so why not. most of the games are cheap as hell after half a year

#10 11 months ago
  11. Cobra951

I hope he’s right. Anything that kills this threat to real gaming has my vote.

#11 11 months ago
  12. fearmonkey

Well there you go, PS Now is sure to be a success if Pachter dislikes it.

He is right in one aspect, NEW games on the service may not appear, but less than 2 years old? If a game is on PS3 for longer than a year, are they actually going to sell that many copies? If they get a fee for each time the game is rented or played, when hardly anyone is maming money on the game, wouldnt that get publishers excited?

Same for PS2 games, thats a huge catalog that we can play that would otherwise languish and gather dust and only live in the bargain bins.

The real question isnt about the games, the real question is if PS Now’s TV service can actually work, because if it does, that could be huge!.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Ireland Michael

PlayStation Now will be a mild convenience at best.

Game streaming as a service is a ship that has already hit the iceberg. It sank ages ago. It serves no pracyical purpose to most people.

#13 11 months ago
  14. schrodinger_cat

Haha, Pachter on the thin ice hear…)

#14 11 months ago
  15. Dralen

The man is clearly an idiot. He has no idea what he’s talking about.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Francis O

Somebody should tell Pachter this service is for PlayStation Games really.

Old PS4, PS4, PS Vita maybe.

I don’t think Sony is trying to build a ton of third party support on PS Now. They already have that with PS Plus, PSN, and at retail.

#16 11 months ago
  17. sbrandon

Aren’t fairly recent 3 rd partygames already available on PS+?

#17 11 months ago
  18. monkees19

So by default, this will 100% work. I think Pachter has been right, what, never? I didn’t see this as being a promising venture for Sony but after hearing him talk, it’ll be a huge success.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Arcnail

So yes, the fact that developers can make money off old games that they don’t any more.. it’s total fail for Sony .. duh.

#19 10 months ago
  20. super3001

Latency. Compression artifact. More latency. Dropouts. Even more latency.

Already know the tech is not good to gaming.

Failed already.