Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is two hours long – report

Tuesday, 4th February 2014 22:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the $40 prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, can reportedly be completed in just two hours.

metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes

The news comes from GameInformer’s latest print preview of the game, as reported by Kotaku.

“Judged just by the core story mission, Ground Zeroes is short. We completed it in just less than two hours,” GameInformer apparently said.

GameInformer’s Ground Zeroes preview is a cover story in the US edition this month, but has not been made available online.

It’s worth highlighting again that the magazine’s comment refers only to main missions, and so the two hour figure may not include optional side questing and additional content.

Franchise creator Hideo Kojima has commented on the past that Ground Zeroes is very short, but also said that it’s up to the user how they play it.

Ground Zeroes is a prequel, a tutorial and a taster for The Phantom Pain, which Kojima has said is designed to satisfy fans while they wait for the full game, which will take some time to complete thanks to the rigours of next-gen development.

It releases on March 18 and is not a full-priced release. In the US, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 version will cost $20 in digital form and $30 at retail.

The PS4 and Xbox One version is priced at $30 digitally and $40 in shops.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Mr Tom

1 hour 50 minutes of that is cut-scenes.

#1 7 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Overpriced junk. Shameless cash-in.

Should have baked it in with the main game, similar to MGS2.

#2 7 months ago
  3. jomac3db

@Mr Tom Lol

#3 7 months ago
  4. jomac3db

@Hcw87 👍

#4 7 months ago
  5. Panthro

If this is true it is hardly worth £20-£30

It should be at most £5.99 – £11.99.

Who knows though, this might just be bullshit.

Or might have multiple ways to play through each mission etc… I dunno.

If not, That is a pathetic amount of time.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

@Mr Tom Thats too generous. 2hrs of cutscenes and the actual gameplay is within the successor Phantom Pain.

In all seriousness i could probably complete this in a hour, 1.30 hr tops. Then the side missions. Then wait? Is MGO 3 in this or Phantom Pain? Or Both?

I will need a heavy price drop, failing that a bundle: the sequel will roughly take less than 2 years.

#6 7 months ago
  7. salarta

1) The average price for a game today at the length of past games in the franchise sits at $60. So that’s already $20 taken off.
    2) The $40 price statement is WRONG. Both Amazon and Gamestop list it as $30. So in reality, it’s half the cost of a full-fledged game, despite the game being on PS4.
    3) By comparison, a lot of games these days of this type are only around 10 hours long, so $30 means that if we accept 10 hours for $60, then we should accept $30 for 5 hours.
    4) We’re hearing that the game CAN be completed in 2 hours. Does that mean it’s the average time? Not necessarily. Remember, there’s such a thing as speed runs, where people finish games that normally take over ten hours in the time of an hour or two.
    5) Most importantly, WE DO NOT KNOW ALL THE FEATURES YET. There may be tons of optional side missions that could total the length of a game that costs $60.

tl;dr wait until we actually know more about the game before assuming it’s “overpriced junk” or a “shameless cash-in.” Maybe it really is way too short and the average time to complete really is only two hours, and if so then I’ll certainly join in giving the game the criticism it deserves. But it could also be so loaded with content that it’s severely underpriced at $30.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Hcw87

@salarta

When people get paid to preview a game, they don’t speedrun through it. This is from Gameinformer.

So yes, the above average gamer would be able to complete this game in 2 hours or less (not counting sidemissions, which may add another two).

Point is, 4 hours for a MGS game is shameful. And it makes NO sense releasing this as standalone. No sense at all. They could have released MGS2 Sons of Liberty as two games, but they didn’t.

#8 7 months ago
  9. salarta

@Hcw87 People paid to preview a game are paid to preview a game. The purpose of the people previewing the game isn’t the point. The point is that games can be completed much faster or much slower depending on how a person plays. If a game that normally takes 30-40 hours can be completed in only a few hours during a speed run, it’s not inconceivable that someone that ISN’T purposely trying to speed run through a game could still beat it much faster than the average person would. Say, if a normally 30-40 hour game can be beaten in 3-4 hours during a speed run, then maybe someone not doing a speed run but still fast in playstyle could beat it in 15-20 depending on how they play.

You’re claiming that one group of people that beat it in 2 hours is instantly the norm. If someone tried to make that claim in scientific circles, they’d be deeply censured for not making a proper experiment with necessary controls, additional subjects, etc.

Maybe it’s 2 hours for the average person. Hell maybe the average person will beat it in 30 minutes. Or maybe these guys were an outlier and beat it in a half or a third of the time of the average person. One case isn’t enough to make that claim. You might be able to claim it SUGGESTS it might be two hours on average, but it’s not absolute proof.

And no, this isn’t shameful for this MGS game. This is a game where the team is trying something much different for the gameplay, an open world. That involves much different thinking, different kind of work, planning for multiple actions and contingencies, etc.

MGS2 was not open world, and it was priced the same expected full price as the average game for its time.

Also nice job assuming you somehow know the length of time all sidemissions in the whole game will take. Reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles, where I expected the sidemissions to take only a few hours, only for them to last a good week of my time to play (I believe around 15-25 extra hours of gameplay).

#9 7 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

..and Skyrim can be beaten in 2 hours.
    ..and Dark Souls can be beaten in less than an hour.

Before I watch a movie, I prematurely judge its quality by checking its running time.
    Before I read a book, I prematurely judge its quality by counting how many pages it has.

JM

#10 7 months ago
  11. infernalism

If this is truly the “2 hours for a first time playthrough for an average gamer” sitiation, than even though I love the series very much, it indeed has no business being on the market, let alone cost 40$ at retail for a PS4 version. I planned on buying a PS4, along with Infamous:SS and MGS:GZ, but now I will wait for the reviews of the latter. If they’ll confirm this information, then I might as well wait for The Phanton Pain to buy them in a bundle, maybe even for a price of a single game. Kojima wants more time, and Konami wants money off of MGSV already, and this seems like a compromise between the two, that the customers are supposed to pay for. No thank you. I am starved for this game, but I’m not returning to the world of MGS for 2 hours of gameplay (at least half of which will be cutscenes) for 30£.

#11 7 months ago
  12. vOL

Err…I never thought of saying this but I agreed with Hcw87 regarding the matter. Normally reviewer will not speedrun when preview/reviewing a game. It just common sense to play and give reader the average time to complete the game campaign/side missions when playing for the 1st time.

Speedrun only works when the player knows the game well; where to go,requirement to complete the objectives and so on and hard to think that they timed their playthrough on the 2nd or 3rd run.

#12 7 months ago
  13. DoubleM

Every Metal Gear game can be completed under 2 hours. You actually get a ranking and some items for completing them in that time, But who does that?
    If you play the game the way it’s supposed to be played (watching the cutscenes, listening to codecs or trying to find the many easter eggs in the games), then the game lasts much longer.
    I actually know people who have completed MGS1 under 5 hours in their first playthrough, and mine took around 15-17 hours. Guess who enjoyed the game? Me, not them.

And btw, this is a 20 dollar downloadable game. I bought Stacking and many other games at that price and they hardly last longer than 4 hours. 40 dollars for the nextgen version is unjust though.

#13 7 months ago
  14. unacomn

Eh, I’m not worried. I can finish most missions in Hitman Blood Money in 5 minutes and some in just 2, and that’s a game I’ve played and replayed for ages.

#14 7 months ago
  15. Darkfield

@Hcw87 To be fair it sounds bad to me too, but original MGS could be finished in 2 hours too.

#15 7 months ago
  16. Darkfield

Actually all MGS games can be finished in under 2 hours. But, those are speedrun marks so I’m not making any excuses o behalf of Kojipro. I’m usually taking my time in any games I play on first playthrough.

#16 7 months ago
  17. ChunkyLover112

you guys are looking at this the wrong way. what we should be yhinking about uere is whether it has something to do with race. you know, making an over priced game that probably isnt that good anyway.

#17 7 months ago
  18. Darkfield

btw, examples of short games we all loved playing them and had no complains.

The Walking Dead – The Game episodic franchise
    The Wolf Among Us, Ep.2 is currently priced at $24.99
    Gone Home
    The Stanley Parable

and there are a lot more, when we play games we care more about quality than length. If the price is bothering you wait a bit until you can find a used boxed version. It’s as simple as that since weirdly enough it has a boxed version.

#18 7 months ago
  19. CycloneFox

First of all, as it’s already said, that the game will only feature one chapter/story mission, I didn’t expect the game to be any longer than, let’s say … 5 hours or so *with* side-content.

Then think about MGR, where quickly after release, it was said to only be about 5 hours long. You might not know it if you haven’t played it yourself, but the game shows the play stats with a playtime, where it cuts out replays (continues) and cutscenes. I played quite slow, tried to sneak as much as possible, rescued as much people as possible and repeated some sections here and there. And so in the end, I played for at least 10 hours, the whole weekend and the game showed a net playtime of 6 hours or so in the end status screen.
    Ground Zeroes most likely does the same.

Then, you have to keep in mind, that those review events are normally like put as many journalists as possibe into a room and let them play the full game for some time first. The journalists then play the game not for having fun, but it’s their job to not do any side-stuff, but only play the main story as fast as possible to try to make the full campaign in one run to be the first to write about the “full” impression of the game. That’s why its always problematic for journalist at those events to play an RPG, because without a little leveling they might get stuck pretty fast. So @Hcw87: They actually do try and speedrun the games during those review events. I got this info from actual gaming journalists.

#19 7 months ago
  20. mistermogul

I’m not bothered about the length as long as it’s reasonably priced. Just checked the price on Amazon for PS4 and it’s £55! Though admittedly that’s a 3rd party seller I think…

Interestingly, Kojima also said in Gameinformer that the PS4 version is looking better than the X1 which I’ve heard before so will be interesting to see just how much that is the case…

#20 7 months ago
  21. sasanjfr

Lets not forget the 2 hours mentioned is only the main mission “gameplay”.There’s also outer ops like missions(which we had in PW) and above all a lengthy cutscene is a sure thing based on Kojima standards.So Ground Zeroes could take up to 4-5 hours.besides we don’t know how the guys at gameinformer played the game.maybe they gunned their way through it,maybe they played on easy,etc.Still,40$ is high but 25-30$ would be justifiable.

#21 7 months ago
  22. Erthazus

Guys, I love you all but please change the design. It sucks.

It sucks so hard.

#22 7 months ago
  23. Ekona

2 hours gameplay for £20 (PS4/XBone digital) is pushing the limits of acceptability, IMHO. It may be the best game over, but if that includes side missions then it’s simply either an excessive price or not enough content.

If there’s enough there to give someone 6 hours of gameplay for that price, then fair enough.

#23 7 months ago
  24. vOL

Just cut out the cutscenes and here we go; a full-fledge glorified demo. Pathetic business model if you ask me.

#24 7 months ago
  25. RocknRolla

@Erthazus You will get used to it don´t worry, they won´t change anything so it´s pointless to even ask :)

#25 7 months ago
  26. The_Red

Remember how first mission of MGS2 was released as a free and full featured demo? Now people have to pay for on it PS4 and XB1.

#26 7 months ago
  27. mendez

___________________ ((:
    2 hours = 40 $

#27 7 months ago
  28. BrokenSpline

@Darkfield

Uh Walking Dead was 25$ for 5 episodes that had 3-4 hours each. See where I am going with this?

Wolf Among us is looking to be the same thus far.

Gone Home, I’ll give you but I will say that game is not worth 20$ far from it. Thankfully I was able to get it for a fiver and that was worth the price.

Stanley Parable is another game that is not worth the full price but I also got it for a fiver.

It will be a cold day in hell if I pay 20 or more for a 2 hour game possibly more no matter how much cutscenes they throw in the damn thing.

#28 7 months ago
  29. Legendaryboss

I’ll just leave this here but believe what you chose to believe.

#29 7 months ago
  30. Hcw87

@Legendaryboss

Tweeted by Kojima’s personal assistant. Seems legit.

#30 7 months ago
  31. Legendaryboss

@Hcw87 Thats why i said believe what you want to believe, at this point no one but the devs know whats in the package.

Theres nothing else to believe in.

#31 7 months ago