Play.com: PS4 games outsold Xbox One titles 3:1 over holidays, PC software outselling both consoles

Thursday, 30th January 2014 09:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Rakuten’s Play.com has released its sales stats for December to January, crowning Call of Duty: Ghosts as its best-selling game of the holiday season. However, PC game sales trumped PS4 and Xbox One software for the period.

In a press release, Rakuten revealed that PS4′s launch titles outsold Xbox One’s release slate three-to-one (or 65% to 35%) between December 1 and January 17. Call of Duty: Ghosts was the top-selling title on both formats, with FIFA 14 following in second place.

The best-selling games for the period on Play.com were as follows:

1. Football Manager 2014 (PC Game)
  2. FIFA 14 (X360 Game)
  3. Call of Duty: Ghosts (X360 Game)
  4. The Last of Us (PS3 Game)
  5. Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3 Game)
  6. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360)
  7. Battlefield 4 (Xbox 360)
  8. Batman: Aarkham Origins (PS3)
  9. FIFA 14 (PS3)
  10. Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag (Xbox 360)

Note the lack of next-gen titles in the list. Rakuten has stated that PC software out-sold PS4 and Xbox One titles for the period, thanks in part to Football Manager 2014′s strong sales, among other titles.

What do you make of the above.

1. Fin

Man, it’s almost like PC already has a huge install base! :P

#1 6 months ago
  2. mistermogul

“PS4′s launch titles outsold Xbox One’s release slate three-to-one (or 65% to 35%)”

Erm… Isn’t that 2 to 1?

#2 6 months ago
  3. Panthro

I am surprised a retail physical PC title outsold the new systems. (I am guessing its physical anyway since it’s play.com)

I don’t know anyone who buys retail games any more as everyone is all digital now, I guess there still must be a huge following for people wanting to have discs… even on PC.

^Spelt Arkham wrong, no biggy but that typo has kinda ruined my day.

#3 6 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Unlimited backwards compatibility is one of the greatest joys of the PC. If you have one, you can play every game released since the dawn of time. You can also play games for a bunch of other, unrelated systems too with no hassle. There’s not another platform out there that offers such a massive back catalogue.

This is one way I think the new consoles went wrong — by not offering backwards compatibility, they’re trying to force old PS3/360 users to either toss away their old hardware & games, or to keep those machines under their telly.

In ten years, I’ll be able to play the latest RPG, but if I want to come back and play Fallout: New Vegas I’ll be able to do that, too. Sadly, if a console owner wants to do that they’d have to hook up their old console, which they might have already sold by that point. The PC is as much of a well-maintained museum as it is a platform.

The reason this happens is one I’ve covered before: The PC is an open platform.

What’s happening with the PC will also happen with the Android platform because of this. There’s already stuff that’s disappeared from the iOS platform, never to be seen again, whereas on Android you just have to preserve it in apk format and it’ll exist for all time. So it’s not just a PC thing, really. It’s an open platform thing.

But yeah, that’s bound to be an alluring feature. If you want to play an old game on the PC, just download it and [i]play it[/i], done, fun. If you want to play an old game on a console — it’s time for a trip to the attic!

This is one of the reasons I prefer open platforms over closed ones.

#4 6 months ago
  5. TheWulf

And I need to remember that italics uses different brackets, here. VG24/7 is unique on the Internet so far as the use of actual HTML versus BBCode in comments goes.

#5 6 months ago
  6. TheWulf

And I need to remember that VG24/7 uses HTML-style brackets rather than BBCode ones, it’s really unique in that regard versus the rest of the Internet. That’s why I miss the edit function, because I always do that. >_>

Also, I just had a post disappear. Probably from having typed this so soon after!

#6 6 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Or it just didn’t appear! Hm. This’ll take some getting used to!

It isn’t the first time I’ve gotten used to a wonky comments system, though. I’ll manage!

#7 6 months ago
  8. Cobra951

” they’re trying to force old PS3/360 users to either toss away their old hardware & games, or to keep those machines under their telly.”

@TheWulf

There’s nothing wrong with the second option. I never understand why so many feel compelled to trade away in an instant what they spent years building up. A new console launch is absolutely the worst reason to do it too. The new system will take years to ramp up to the utility of the old one. Having both systems accessible for some time to come is the only smart thing to do.

As for PCs being infinitely backward compatible, well . . . not easily. But I guess that’s one of the tradeoffs. Getting games to run on PCs is expected to be more difficult.

#8 6 months ago
  9. Gheritt White

Hilarious. The overprivileged PC master race has to rely on a glorified spreadsheet simulation in order to have a hope of outselling console software sales.

#9 6 months ago