Fable Anniversary video preview: is a HD makeover enough for this Xbox classic?

Wednesday, 22nd January 2014 12:22 GMT By Matt Martin

We go hands-on with the HD remake of Lionhead’s RPG. It’s still funny, but VG247′s Sam Clay wants to know if it’s still fun.

It’s been almost 10 years since Peter Molyneux and Lionhead released Fable, the long-anticipated role-playing game for Xbox. It came with a lot of expectations but has since spawned two proper sequels, the Lost Chapters expansion and spin-off Fable: The Journey.

Now Microsoft thinks it’s high time to revisit the original with the release of Fable Anniversary, a high definition makeover for the Xbox 360. Can a 10 year-old game still hold its own in 2014, is the land of Albion worthy of a revisit, and is it still just as entertaining to boot chickens up the bum?

We sent video editor Sam Clay back to experience it all again – hit the video to get his hands-on impressions.

Fable Anniversary will be released on February 7th.

1. Hcw87

2:53

That’s some funny shit.

#1 11 months ago
  2. JPickford

Awesome Alan Davies impression.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Gheritt White

Didn’t realise Jonathan Creek had joined the VG24/7 staff?

#3 11 months ago
  4. OneLifeCycle

God, I loved this game… But I don’t think this is enough to make me buy it again. Have a lot of fun memories from playing the Fable games. So epic for their time and just outright, super fun to play.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Cobra951

I played this to death on the PC a long time ago. Loved it then. But I can’t see buying it on a console now. If it gets really cheap, though, maybe? I can’t deny I’m curious.

#5 11 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

I love the original Fable, and it was the best game in the series in my opinion. None of the villains that came after were as interesting as Jack, and none of the endings were as good either.

I hope this comes to PC, I would rather play it on high res with all the new graphics. I play the original on PC as well.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Tormenter

Fable was a series I never liked, despite being an rpg junkie. I hated the art direction, the gameplay, the lack of anything resembling complexity.. or just plain depth and most of all the rubbish Molyneux would spout through development and the lack of relevance it had to the final product.

.. and the less said about the form of the ‘humour’ the better, I don’t know why molynex is so revered.

OMG.. It IS Alan Davis…

SERIOUSLY, Sam..I can see it now, The Animated Adventures of Jonathan Creek.. Go for it.

#7 11 months ago