Rune Factory 4 European release cancelled, publisher confirms

Monday, 20th January 2014 14:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Rune Factory will not release on Nintendo 3DS in Europe as previously planned. The heads-up comes from publisher Marvelous AQL.

It follows Rune Factory developer Neverland filing for bankruptcy last year.

In a statement sent to VG247 today, Marvelous AQL explained the decision. It reads:

“We regret to inform you that the European release of Rune Factory 4 for Nintendo 3DS has been cancelled.

MAQL and MAQL Europe would like to thank everyone for their support and enthusiasm for their European releases. Please look forward to announcements on new MAQL titles over the coming months.”

Were you looking forward to Rune Factory 4? Let us know below.

1. Hirmetrium

This is why region locking is crap. Nobody in Europe can play this title now. It’s a massive kick in the face.

What’s more upsetting is that they won’t even talk straight and give a good reason.

#1 3 months ago
  2. stockops3

For fucks sake, I was really looking forward to this =( harvest moon mixed with a jrpg on the go, I was sold, I hope it somehow gets here! Though US 3DS gamers are in the same boat for inazuma eleven 3. I really hope inazuma GO! Comes both Europe and stateside!

#2 3 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

No. They did not explain a thing. There were no reasons given here. No explanation was made. Could an explanation be sought?

I gather a lot of people will be very disappointed with this news (I would be, were I enthusiastically following a game that suffered this fate) I’m inclined to believe that it is probably a case of rights issues/localisation (material acquisition?) problems, given that the developer went bust. No good swansong for them though, nor outcome for a community that typically gets involved in supporting localisation initiatives. Another scrap fallen off the Nintendo table then.

#3 3 months ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

THIS IS WHY REGION LOCKING IS CRAP. (thanks for that, Hirmetrium :) )

#4 3 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

Didn’t the developer go under?

#5 3 months ago
  6. Unknown_Gamer

If i was a gaming publisher i’ll never let my game being touched by Nintendo and their policies , too bad all the Japanese publishers falling for this crap called “3DS” and they have 0% interest on other audiences because of how much money they make from that system in Japan

#6 3 months ago
  7. dreamcastnews

Another developer along with Cing that could have been rescued by Nintendo and another franchise under their belt, nevermind.

#7 3 months ago
  8. SplatteredHouse

@5 The article, and my post both reference that fact, but that doesn’t prevent the game’s availability elsewhere, and Europeans inability to play that game even if purchased from elsewhere from grating, though.

#8 3 months ago
  9. Bomba Luigi

And where the Hell is the big Problem of a e-shop Release? Because that thing is already translated to english and available for Download in the US, can’t be a big Deal to allow Europeans a Download.

I do not understand, please give information.

#9 3 months ago
  10. SplatteredHouse

@9 +1 good point. Maybe that lends credence to the problem being practical, not just based on reluctance to see the project through. Could an enterprising import-focused publisher complete the necessary steps to see it released, yet.

#10 3 months ago
  11. dizzygear

What the fucking fuck? I was looking forward to this one. Let me guess. Next one the chopping block is SMT4 since that one is still MIA as well?

“While MarvelousAQL has made every effort to secure the title’s release for this territory, it is, unfortunately, not possible to do so at this time.”

Bullshit. I’m willing to bet Ghostlight or Rising Star were willing to publish it but instead they went to those ass clowns from Zen United who apparently fucked up again like they always do.

Thanks for nothing.

EDIT: And FUCK YOU Nintendo for the 3DS region lock.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Mikevoli

You wait and wait willing to pay money for a game, then this happens. Might as well get a flashcart because its cheaper than buying a US 3ds.

#12 3 months ago
  13. dizzygear

@12 That thing only works on Firmware 4.5 and can actually brick your 3DS.

There has been some progress on the homebrew scene though so i wont be updating my 3DS any longer.

#13 3 months ago
  14. Kiraly

This is ridiculous.

If they also cancel SMTIV, I swear I will stop paying even one cent for a Nintendo console game and donate all that money to efforts to develop the flashcart and an emulator.

I WANTED this game. I do NOT want to import a bloody US 3DS after going through the trouble of importing the UK one because Nintendo can’t be assed to have a presence in the (Eastern European) country I live in.

If the game is already translated what’s stopping them from just releasing it here?!?!

#14 3 months ago