PS4 was the UK’s fastest-selling console in 2013, 3DS top overall

Friday, 10th January 2014 12:11 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 was the UK’s fastest-selling console last year, while Nintendo 3DS emerged as the nation’s biggest-selling machine overall.

MCV reports that Sony’s next-gen console sold so fast in fact, that it was just a few thousand units ahead of the Xbox 360′s annual total. Some 364,000 Xbox One consoles were sold in the UK in 2013, with a global total now sitting at over 3 million units.

Sony’s UK PlayStation MD Fergal Gara said of the PS4′s performance so far, “We are delighted with the very strong sales of PS4 to date. Since we unveiled the console, gamers have shown huge interest in the PS4. Our focus now is rebuilding stock levels so those have not been able to get a PS4 can finally experience the next-gen. I’d like to thank the gamers, our retail and publishing partners who played a big part in making this success possible.”

Did you pick up any new consoles in 2013? Let us know below.

Via CVG.

1. Pytox

and wiiU?

#1 8 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

No details.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Dragon

@1,
    You really need it to be spelt out? ;)

#3 8 months ago
  4. monkeygourmet

I can’t believe 3DS is the best seller but I still rarely get any street pass visitors?!

The new street pass games are amazing (I hope to see even more this year), but it’s annoying I rarely get any ‘hits’ when I take my 3DS out and about.

I’ve been rubbing up close to people who look like gamers in the supermarket but no luck yet.

#4 8 months ago
  5. Tormenter

MS failed in the UK market because half of the cost of the Xbox 180 (I stilll prefer that name to the xbone)is hardware for TV services that aren’t compatible with the services we run in this country.

For the UK market, the Xbox 180, remains.. and always WILL remain, a pointless POS… a big box, half filled with shit we’ll never use but still have to pay for in order for us to subsidise America’s console market..

*uck MS, *uck the xbox and *uck MS’s future attempts at regaining this market.

(I wouldn’t usually censor myself.. but 3 fucks in the one sentence is a bit much, even for me.)

#5 8 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

@topic

3DS has easily been one of the strongest consoles in recent times. It has a constant stream of quality and varied games, Im glad people are enjoying it.

Since finishing my PC, I have no need for Ps4 / Xbone until the can provide some better exclusives. Tomb Raider HD HD remakes aren’t really going to cut it at the moment.

As Titanfall will be better on PC, I can’t see the need for an Xbone for a long, long time yet.

PS4 is looking better, but, again, until it gets another 5 or so exclusives, there is no point in me taking the plunge yet.

Wii U had a pretty strong year for me, ending with my GOTY (Mario 3D World) and I loved Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Lego Undercover & it has been nice playing through Zelda again. It potentially has a good set of exclusives in 2014 too, so it’s a good console to dip in and out of.

I think I will prob get a new GPU (800 series?) for Witcher 3 before I bother with PS4, Xbone has really fallen off my radar.

One question…

As I have PS Plus on Vita / PS3, can I d/l or store free PS4 games if they become available for free on the service? I know you could with Vita, I just haven’t checked the PSN store in a while.

#6 8 months ago
  7. fengato

They deserved this. They targeted it right at gamers (controller, high-ish spec etc) whilst keeping the price down. I get all the consoles, though MS have lost me for this gen (just as Sony lost me with the PS3). It’s great seeing the turn around from the hubris during the lead up to the PS3 era.

#7 8 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@MG Yes you can. Use the web store and you can buy them from that.

By the time I actually get a PS4, I’ll have about a dozen or more games just sitting there for me to play before I even buy anything.

#8 8 months ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Brilliant, thats what I wanted to hear.

I was encouraging my friend to get PS Plus (he only own’s a Wii U / 360 at the mo), purely to pick up free Vita games for when he finally gets one.

Im hoping full games like Killzone put up before the years out, although Im sure the first PS4 titles to be offered on Plus will be games like Tomb Raider HD HD remake. Still, it’s good to have a little collection built up!

#9 8 months ago
  10. mistermogul

For me, the 3DS was the best console in 2013.

Such a strong library of games over 12 months, it’s good to see that was reflected in the sales…

@4 – oh that weirdo was you rubbing my leg in Tesco?!?!

#10 8 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I thought that was a 3DS XL in your pocket! :)

#11 8 months ago
  12. silkvg247

@MG I find I can get a few hits if I go to the game shops in town.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

It is a nice handheld for sure, and i’d love to play A Link Between Worlds and Luigi’s Mansion 2, but sadly those are about the only games i’m interested in. Not gonna buy a handheld for just two games.

Shame the controller only lasts 5 to 6 hours though, ridiciulous actually. Also a shame that MS lost you with Xbox One, cause it is a damn fine system. I don;t have one yet, saving money for it,but i tried it on two ocassions and i love it. Kinect works fantastic, but if you don’t want to use it, you don’t have to. No i don’t get the ‘hate’ that some people have for the system.

X1 controller lasts longer than the 360 one. I can’t speak for others..but after 360 controller and DS3 i can’t cope with a controller that lasts 5 to 6 hours. That’s like only two hours more than a Wii U Gamepad…hilarious. The Wii U Pro Controller puts that DS4 to shame.

I’m also a bit tired of the ‘Sony went for the gamers bla bla’ i guess that;s why they had such great exclusives that made it worth to buy a PS4? Come on now. Was it smart marketing of Sony though? Oh for sure.

#13 8 months ago
  14. naffgeek

@13 Fire Emblem : Awakenings is my fave game of the year and I am not that into strategy stuff. amazing game.

So that’s three, is that enough to buy one? :)

#14 8 months ago
  15. Moonwalker1982

The combat is turn-based, right? No matter how good the game otherwise is…i cannot get used to and enjoy turn-based combat. :(

#15 8 months ago
  16. locus2k1

@monkeygourmet had the same problem with streetpassing, I now just walk past a nearby McDonalds every day and get a quick 6 passes via Nintendo Zone :D

#16 8 months ago
  17. POOhead

I get loads of hits when im out, coffee shops are where most of my hits are from

#17 8 months ago
  18. dreamcastnews

I renamed my router to The_Cloud and it gives me Streetpasses stored from Costa I think? I’m just waiting for the power of my ‘Cloud’ router to improve the graphics of my other games systems now….

#18 8 months ago
  19. Legendaryboss

+150

#19 8 months ago
  20. monkeygourmet

@Everyone (for the streetpass tips)

Thanks, I will try a few cafes and coffee shops! I really love the new games, the Haunted Mansion and Shoot ‘em up being highlights!

#20 8 months ago
  21. fengato

Moonwalker: “Shame the controller only lasts 5 to 6 hours though, ridiciulous actually.”

Yep something they need to improve. Still, I’d rather that than the AA battery system.

“Also a shame that MS lost you with Xbox One, cause it is a damn fine system.”

I’ll be getting One for Titanfall if it’s good, but definitely for Halo come the end of the year. They’ve ‘lost me’ in that all my 3rd party stuff will be for PS4 (the reverse of last gen). As a console only gamer, the beefier specs matter to me (BF4 is a useful example.) I’ve also come to love the DS4 (sticks feel great). As someone who enjoys fighting games, the superb D-pad is also a deciding factor.

“I’m also a bit tired of the ‘Sony went for the gamers bla bla’ i guess that;s why they had such great exclusives that made it worth to buy a PS4?”

That’s not the point I’m making. I agree that MS first party was stronger at launch (I’d take Forza 5 over every PS4 launch-window exclusive combined) – my point is that the system itself is aimed squarely gaming, and has the specs to keep things fresh for much longer to come. From my point of view, the X1 feels like a warmed over 360 with some media novelties – it just wasn’t enough for me to keep my pre-order.

#21 8 months ago