Saints Row: voice actor confirms “new game”

Friday, 20th December 2013 01:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Saints Row seems to have produced another sequel already, if a tweet from a voice actor is to be believed.

“About to do my voice over work for new Saints Row video game,” actor Jay Mohr tweeted yesterday.

Since no title was given, it’s not clear if the “new” here refers to an upcoming title, presumably Saints Row 5, or the relatively recent Saints Row 4. Deep Silver had no comment when Gamespot sent a query.

Voice work can occur early or late in a game’s development, and well in advance of release is not that uncommon, so a new Saints Row sequel is quite possible. That said, a new DLC pack for Saints Row 4 seems a little more likely.

Volition has been working non-stop on the Saints Row franchise since the release of Saints Row 3, with other properties like Red Faction sent out to pasture. Saints Row 4 actually began life as a hefty expansion for Saints Row: The Third before being repurposed as a whole new game.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. salarta

Kinda sorta hoping that if it’s a new Saints Row game, they’re going with a time travel concept. I liked the whole Jane Austen thing.

I wish Red Faction was still around, but not like Armageddon. The original and Guerrilla were great in different ways, I would’ve liked to see more of both directions.

Edit: Now that I’ve looked at the tweet, I think it’s most likely SR4 DLC. The picture on the screen is from SR4; I would expect that if it was for a brand new game, the screen would show off art for that new game.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Dragon

@1,
    I think Volition should take a break from SR and try some other types of sandboxes, much like Rockstar does. I think it would allow them to expand their creativity and also help prevent franchise fatigue among consumers.

#2 8 months ago
  3. salarta

@2: I think Saints Row is in a state where going straight into one more game is ideal, but once that one more game plus DLC are done, maybe work on a different product for a bit. You don’t want to drop momentum on something like this if you already know exactly what to do next and you’re exciting, but by that same token you don’t want to force something new out in the brand when it’s not enjoyable and the momentum is beginning to wane.

Mortal Kombat is probably a good example; MK1-3 are generally viewed by fans to be the best, with views that the franchise went downhill from there, and Midway’s only high-profile heavily marketed games belonged to Mortal Kombat. They did an awesome job with Shadow Hearts: Covenant, but sadly it didn’t get as much attention and sales as it should have… though it was successful enough for Aruze to very obviously rush the next game’s development in hopes of taking advantage of what little attention Covenant got.

Which was a shame too. Shadow Hearts From the New World had so much potential that got wasted by the company rush-jobbing it.

#3 8 months ago
  4. silkvg247

A space theme would be cool.. taking the ship thing further (upgrades etc) and being able to explore and taken over planets SR style.

#4 8 months ago
  5. fearmonkey

Saints Row for iOS and Android? – or DLC?

Seems a bit early to be talking about a new Saints Row already.

#5 8 months ago
  6. Kreion

I actually disagree, just becsaue of how similar SR4 is to SR3 in terms of the engine. When I hear about a game’s sequel, I expect it to look better than the previous one – not the same. SR4 was more suited to be a Blood Dragon style stand alone, the only reason it’s the 4th in the series is because they needed to make some money fast.

I’m not saying that the game itself is bad (though I’m not a fan of the SR series) but there’s little in it that makes it worth being a sequel. The writing is good for what it is and the superpowers are enjoyable if you ignore some of the ripped animations from other games. It feels like an expansion, not a new game.

So I’d prefer that the next game has more effort put into it in terms of the engine and the graphics.

#6 8 months ago
  7. salarta

@6: No, the team said themselves the reason SR4 is the 4th in the series is that the plan for the Enter the Dominatrix DLC ended up being enticing enough to build a whole game from it. Not a scheme to make money fast.

I will say, though, that I think they missed out on a great opportunity to do a lot more with playing off politics. I’ll also say that SR4 wasn’t as innovative in use SR3′s map as claimed in interviews; it was claimed the game would include using a vertical dimension and as far as I remember that included doing stuff inside skyscrapers and the like, but that wasn’t used at all.

Given that, I think it’s far, far more likely that the team didn’t have the funding or development time they would’ve liked for the game, not that they simply wanted to make money fast. Those are two very different things. The “make money fast” one implies they care more about making money than creativity.

#7 8 months ago