PS4 & Xbox One generation to last 5-6 years, says EA’s Soderlund

Thursday, 28th November 2013 16:16 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 is out tomorrow across the UK and Europe, hot on the heels of Xbox One. It’s a crazy time, but EA’s executive vice-president of EA Studios Patrick Soderlund reckons that we’ll be doing the next-gen dance all over again by 2018-19. He feels it’ll be a shorter cycle.

Speaking with MCV, Soderlund said, “This console cycle may have gone on a little bit longer than I would have wanted,” and added, “At the same time, you have seen games like The Last of Us and GTA V at the end of a cycle which perhaps you would not have expected a few years ago. But a five, six year gap is what I expect going forward.”

Moving forward and innovating is key however, and Soderlund feels that EA is capable of doing just that. Next stop: Titanfall. He reckons that praise for Respawn’s shooter has proven this fact. “That response is telling us that gamers don’t want to play the same game every year,” he continued. “And even the games we build on an iterative basis, we have to make sure we keep on innovating or people won’t give us their money.”

Do you think the current cycle will be shorter than the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation? Let us know what you think below.

Via OXM.

1. xxJPRACERxx

I hope so. They are under-powered machines and they’re not losing money on it. I don’t really mind cheaper consoles with shorter life-span. Kepp things fresh.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ayb91

I really think they are talking about ps3 and xbox360. Starting now.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SameeR_Fisher

F*** that, 8 years at least or bust, no matter how long this generation was, we got some pretty great games late in the cycle, which was a good thing, heck I’ll probably keep playing PS3 games till 2015 so I could finish all the games that I missed every year.

Next thing you know publishers will want a generation every 2 freaking years, and if by any chance this generation is as short as 5 years, well they will get my money after spending 8 years with the console.

#3 1 year ago
  4. bradk825

On topic: I think he has a good point about the cycle, and he’s right about gamers wanting originality.

Off topic: Did you catch that? No one from EA can ever issue a statement about any topic without taking a shot at Call of Duty, lol. It’s just not possible.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Asgaro

So in 2018…
    console gamers will still be playing sub-1080p games.

Just, think about it… Let it sink through.

2018 and still at sub-1080p while PC gamers will probably transition to 4K by then.

#5 1 year ago
  6. bradk825

@5 I’ve been playing at 1080p since Nov 22 bro.

Edit: in addition to launch titles at 1080p, XB1 already supports 4k and PS4 will later. You’re just talking silly.

#6 1 year ago
  7. WaspHUN

@6: You mean this Nov 22? Well… welcome to the club i guess.
    Also, he’s talking about rendering at 4K, not upscaling a sub-FHD (720/900p) resolution.
    Actually there’s bigger difference between 1080p and 4K than 720p Vs 1080p.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

Sorry but it won’t be the case that games will be going natively to 4K resolution or even up scaling to it anytime soon in the next few years. Maybe 10 but not in 5 years. People are bitching about the file sizes of games now and this is uncompressed to go to 4k natively the file size would be at least 5 times as much.

There would need to be a complete change in processes much like the Ps2 to Ps3 level. SO far we are no where close to that type of change.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Panthro

Sorry but the only 4K games PS4 and X1 will be playing will be very basic low graphically intensive games if even that.

The 4K functionality is probably just for playing video.

______________________________________________________

I don’t believe it when developers say they need more power to create more innovative and creative titles, the most creative games I have played in the past 5 years have been indie titles that require a tiny amount of power.

If anything, all they needed was for S and MS to change there policies for the online stores for smaller games.

Big budget titles mostly just don’t do it for me anymore, they all feel so copy pastey since most aren’t willing to take a bit of risk.

I cant wait until the console releases blow over and it stops being a race of ‘who can create the best looking game’ and becomes a race of who can create something actually innovative, so far I have seen no games from either consoles that I can consider really ‘different’ and isn’t that what you really want from a new generation of consoles rather than just reliving the last generation but with better visuals?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

The 4k functionality is just for video playback. It has nothing to do with games.

I agree with you. Indies do more innovative things because they have to to sell their game where triple A are comfortable and find no need or desire to attempt their hand in risky titles. They want what sells.

#10 1 year ago
  11. drewbles82

Really, 5-6 years. Damn i may as well skip this gen then as i wasnt planning on buying for at least 2years.
    Why might you ask? Im going travelling and hoping to relocate somewhere new so sticking and finishing my 360 games first. I’m always a bargain hunter as well, dont see the need to rush out and play the latest games, dont make any difference to your life other than spending way more money.

#11 1 year ago