Humble Store stocks first OUYA game, more console titles to follow, says team

Wednesday, 20th November 2013 09:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Towerfall: Ascension has become the Humble Store’s first console and OUYA product. Humble Bundle co-founder and COO John Graham has said this is just the beginning for console titles on the marketplace.

If the name Towerfall: Ascension sounds familiar, it’s because reported on its PC and PS4 trailer yesterday. It’s available on OUYA now.

The game has now been made available via the Humble Bundle’s store, and marks something of a first for the company. It’s typically served as a PC, Mac and Linux shop, with the occasional deviation to Android titles. Towerfall is the first console title to appear on the store.

In s astatement posted by Develop, Graham said, “We’re excited to partner with OUYA and Matt Thorson to offer TowerFall on the Humble Store. This is the first console game ever offered on Humble Bundle and we look forward to offering more console games in the future.”

Would you like to see more console titles enter the Humble Store? Let us know below.

1. Silent Killer01

I would be very interested in Xbox 360 codes.

#1 5 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

That one guy who bought the Ouya and actually plays it will be happy.

#2 5 months ago
  3. TrickyAudio

PSN titles would be brilliant.

#3 5 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Ouya I can see, but I’d be very surprised to see others on there. Maybe (maybe) Sony if they feel up to it, because they can sometimes be amicable. But Microsoft? Microsoft would charge through the nose for a single key, let alone the sheer masses of keys which are shifted in Humble Bundle sales. So I’m just not sure how.

Plus, Microsoft likes playing gatekeeper too much, with all of their exclusivity deals and all (and I realise that Sony is guilty of this, too, which is why I only said maybe). So I suspect that they’d try to pull exploitative shenanigans like giving them the keys only if they sign into an exclusivity agreement.

So I could see how this could work for Ouya, but I’m baffled how it could work for closed systems with paranoid gatekeepers (something the Ouya isn’t known for). Unless, of course, they’re counting the upcoming Steambox amongst consoles, which would make sense. It’s just confusing to think about, really.

I’d love to be wrong, but I couldn’t see Sony going for this, and MS not in a million years.

Edit: In fact, there’s even kind of a precedent. They’ve never run an iOS bundle because Apple are crazed, rabid gatekeepers in regards to their storefront. So Apple would never allow something like that to happen. Whereas Ouya is essentially Android (and they have run Android bundles before), Microsoft and Sony’s consoles are more like iOS.

Seeing a Humble Xbox Bundle on there would be as weird as seeing a Humble iPhone Bundle. I think it’s impossible. We’ll see! Like I said, I’d like to be wrong, but crazy gatekeepers will always be crazy gatekeepers. (Which is one of the things that keeps me away from consoles.)

#4 5 months ago
  5. TheWulf

You mean the thousands upon thousands of people who own an Ouya console? You forget that their Kickstarter raised over eight and a half million, and they must still be making money or they’d be out of business by now.

#5 5 months ago
  6. AmiralPatate

Or I’m just making a stupid joke on how terrible the Ouya is. Because it is terrible.

#6 5 months ago