Warcraft, Warcraft 2 possibly coming to modern PCs

Monday, 11th November 2013 01:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Classic RTS titles Warcraft and Warcraft 2 may get a new lease on life, making them playable on modern PCs.

Responding to a fan question during a BlizzCon 2013 panel, as reported by Polygon, World of Warcraft production director J. Allen Brack said Blizzard is intermittently working on modern ports of the classic games.

“We have a guy on our team – actually several guys on our team – who are working on a side project to do something like that in some form or fashion,” Brack said when asked about the possibility of Warcraft and Warcraft 2 on new hardware.

“We’re fans of Warcraft 1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and we’d love to replay those games for sure.”

The first game, Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, released in 1994. Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness released in 1995. Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos released in 2002 and is still playable on many systems.

The story of the original Warcraft games is part of the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion, Warlords of Draenor, as well as the Duncan Jones Warcraft movie.

For more from BlizzCon 2013, check out our coverage hub.

1. DSB

Do they mean remakes? Because they’re already available on Battle.net, and I know Warcraft 3 plays fine on modern PCs. A few issues with the aspect ratio though.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

That would be so awesome!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bowser

WarCraft II is literally my favorite PC game ever and the first WarCraft was a huge part of my childhood as well. They hurt the series with 3, in my opinion, and wrecked everything I loved about it with WoW, but I would be first in line for a WC2 rerelease.

#3 1 year ago
  4. debug

@DSB That’s what I would bet they are working on. Some aspect ratio fixes. Since the game is probably built on those old screen resolutions, it might need quite a lot of work to change.

Also, I don’t know if the Warcraft games have the same problem as Starcraft, but sometimes the UI gets completely unreadable due to a weird colors issue.

#4 1 year ago
  5. ArithonUK

I’d like to see a non-MMO WarCraft title. Just with ZERO cut-scenes and LAN and MOD support. Like real PC games used to be.

#5 1 year ago