Mario might go back to an “open world” if the fans demand it

Monday, 4th November 2013 22:50 GMT By Ewan Miller

Speaking with Gamekult, Super Mario 3D World’s producer Yoshiaki Koizumi said that it’s difficult to develop an open world Mario title in the vein of Super Mario Sunshine that doesn’t leave players confused, wondering where to go and for this reason, Nintendo will only consider the idea if fans really demanded it.

Asked about why the company has abandoned the style, Koizumi said it was largely due to players not knowing where to go.

“I don’t know if we can consider Super Mario 64 as an open world game, but I think Super Mario Sunshine is more consistent with that definition because of the city and entire worlds to explore. Our main standpoint with Super Mario is to ensure that players always know where to go. It’s for this reason that we have given great importance on the placement and visibility of the flags, particularly in Super Mario 3D World.

“However, if a very large number of players expressed the desire for a more open Mario, we would take that request very seriously.”

In the interview, Koizumi also mentioned there were “no plans” for any DLC for Super Mario 3D World, perhaps indicating that The New Super Mario Bros’ Luigi Mode didn’t do terribly well for the company.

Thanks, Gamekult (French).

1. Mr Sparkle

I think logic demands it.

#1 12 months ago
  2. polygem

loving that screenshot. sunshine is among my most beloved games…so yeah, i’d be ready for that.

#2 12 months ago
  3. jeffb01

make a 2d nsmb with an extensive level creator (like littlebig planet) and it will be huge…

#3 12 months ago
  4. Ewan Miller

@3 Since people just recreate 1-1 in LittleBigPlanet, I wonder what they’d do in a game that already has 1-1.

#4 12 months ago
  5. SCAssassin

>perhaps indicating that The New Super Mario Bros’ Luigi Mode didn’t do terribly well for the company.

There’s a difference between creating levels for 2D platforming than 3D platforming, it’s possible that they just didn’t want to put even more effort into making DLC levels to the game when they can continue working on other titles.

#5 12 months ago
  6. fengato

I greatly prefer the open world vibe – never fully gelled with Galaxy, nor with 3D Land. Mario is at his best when he’s able to actually explore.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Dragon

@Ewan,
    You can look up the news thread in the forums. Some important headlines are posted there way before its posted in sites.

#7 12 months ago
  8. POOhead

Sunshine was a awesome game but i remember the first time i played the game i must of got lost so many times on the first level where you had to beat the plant thing at the top of the tree or whatever it was, really want them to go to an open world though, thats the thing i kinda didnt like about the galaxy games but they were still awesome.

#8 12 months ago
  9. legend80

@1: Logic says do it if it makes sense. Open world does not automatically equal BETTER.

I never got the attraction to Mario Sunshine. I’ve played and loved every game that has had Mario in it and have every one except that cursed Sunshine. On top of trying to figure out where you need to go next with vague clues, it’s has a lot of shooting mechanics which don’t belong in a Mario game. Sorry I also don’t feel like sitting here and cleaning mud off of EVERYTHING!!! Mario is a fast platforming that’s all about the level design. That’s what the focus should be and I’m sorry that was lacking compared to others in the franchise.

Anyway, I hate how so many in the gaming community poop on anything that doesn’t give them a huge map to wonder around in, even if it’s completely unnecessary to the experience. Now, it can work but only if done well: if there is a REASON to explore, if there are things to do/find (side quests), good map with clear locators, the user is guided properly, the user can fast travel/jump to destinations, levels, etc.

There’s a number of things that can go wrong with an open world system which can lead to a boring, frustrating, wasted game experience. Let’s not forget that.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Blackened Halo

Yeeees pleaaase

#10 12 months ago
  11. mistermogul

I would love an open world Mario again. One where we get back the full control of 360 degree camera…

#11 12 months ago
  12. Telepathic.Geometry

I don’t really get it. Does having a hub world mean you have an open world? The only difference between SMG and SMS is the size of the hub, and if you ask me, SMG was better in that regard.

What I would love would be a completely 100% open world Mario, where a lot of the world was in a gigantic open world map Jak and Daxter style, where you could just wander around from A to B, jumping around.

They could have some kind of boost pads to allow you up into the clouds, or pipes to get you around from world to world. I dunno, thinking about it now, it might be very difficult to get that to work, but at any rate, SMS is not open world in my opinion. It just has a big hub.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Joe Musashi

@12 I like that idea a lot.

I’ve just played through the Lego Marvel Super Heros game (good fun!) and the levels / open world aspect suits that game very well.

As for the ” leave players confused, wondering where to go” concerns expressed by Nintendo – I don’t see how this applies. There are a dozens of ways of signposting and guiding the player. Lego, for example does it blatantly with map markers and hovering arrows. It does it a little more subtly by leaving trails of pickups to follow – something we’ve seen Mario games do also.

Given that other Nintendo IPs such as Zelda and Metroid are masterclasses in signposting and implicitly guiding the player, it’s not as though Nintendo don’t have the proven ability to do this already. And, surely, the Wii U’s gamepad could be used in some unique way to aid signposting too?

JM